The Student Room Group

Payment Blocked?

I'm aware of NINO checks after application approval. What my main concern is the fact that a few days ago I somehow managed to get a student ambassador job at my uni (I thought I'd be unsuccessful) and of course I gave them my NINO. However when I applied for my SFE I wasn't a uni ambassador therefore i have not indicated anywhere that I am paid Student Ambassador at my uni, so my question is will this affect my application? can this be the grounds on which my application could be declined? Full disclosure: I've not actually worked as an SA yet and I have not been paid yet at all.
Hi Vip.Tako,

The checking of your NINO has nothing to do with whether or not you are working.

If you are taking a loan out for the first time we need to check your NINO is correct. If you provided this on your application we would send this off to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to be checked on the Wednesday after all your loan details have copied onto our payment system which happens 48 hours after your application is fully approved. It comes back the following Wednesday and if valid, if we have received the Confirmation of Registration (to release Maintenance payments) and Confirmation of Attendance (to release Tuition Fee loan payments) from your University, your payments would be in your account/universities account within three to five working days.

Any earnings from full or part-time work are not taken into account so this wouldn't affect your entitlement. You don't need to update your application to let us know you have started work either.

Thanks

Laura
Reply 2
So what exactly is my NINO being checked for? Because the DWP literally stands for Department for Work and Pensions? I'm honestly so confused. Currently my understanding is (after your response) they only need to see if the NINO I gave belongs to me or not and if I quoted it right? So is there a chance of SFE declining my loan now? (on the grounds of NINO or anything else - even though its been approved once - my friend said that his loan got declined because SFE "accidentally" approved their residency status (I think he must have lied))

P.S. I am sorry if I sound ignorant or rude it is not my intention

Thank you for such rapid reply

Tamara
Original post by Vip.Tako
So what exactly is my NINO being checked for? Because the DWP literally stands for Department for Work and Pensions? I'm honestly so confused. Currently my understanding is (after your response) they only need to see if the NINO I gave belongs to me or not and if I quoted it right? So is there a chance of SFE declining my loan now? (on the grounds of NINO or anything else - even though its been approved once - my friend said that his loan got declined because SFE "accidentally" approved their residency status (I think he must have lied))

P.S. I am sorry if I sound ignorant or rude it is not my intention

Thank you for such rapid reply

Tamara

Hi Tamara,

The reason we need to validate your National Insurance Number, is because this is a loan and you will have to pay this back.

When you graduate or withdraw from your course and you are eligible to repay your loan, once you are earning over the threshold, the government will recover the loan through deductions from your salary using your National Insurance Number.

That is the reason when you apply for a loan for the first time, we cannot make payments to you until we verify the National Insurance Number that you have provided, we check that it is correct and belongs to you.

This is a normal process, for all students and only happens in the first year that you apply for a loan.

Your payments will remain blocked until The Department of Work and Pensions respond to us, confirming it is correct.

We send it to them on the first Wednesday after your application is approved and it is returned the following Wednesday, with confirmation of registration from your university /college, you can be confident your payment will automatically be released, then it takes three to five working days for a bank transfer.

Thanks Rona
Reply 4
Hi again, thank you for your fast response, but it raises another question (sorry). Few years back - Before I got my NINO my embassy decided to change the spelling of my first name and last name (and then add the previous spelling of my last name as my second last name- So its something along the lines of "Tamara Zentgkinitze or Zedginidze" instead of "Tamar Zedginidze") I did indicate this in my application under the section of previous names but I don't think I mentioned that my NINO was issued to that specific name. Could that become a problem?

Tamara
Original post by Vip.Tako
Hi again, thank you for your fast response, but it raises another question (sorry). Few years back - Before I got my NINO my embassy decided to change the spelling of my first name and last name (and then add the previous spelling of my last name as my second last name- So its something along the lines of "Tamara Zentgkinitze or Zedginidze" instead of "Tamar Zedginidze":wink: I did indicate this in my application under the section of previous names but I don't think I mentioned that my NINO was issued to that specific name. Could that become a problem?

Tamara

Hi Vip.Tako,

Yes, this may affect your student finance payments.

If we have already sent your name and NINO for verification with the Department for Work in Pensions (DWP) and it is returned as unmatched, we will request evidence of your NINO, however as your national insurance card will have a different surname we will need evidence of why this is.

The evidence we accept will depend on the circumstances regarding this.
For example we can accept clear photocopies of:Marriage, (Marriage Certificate, Deed Poll (for change of name), Divorce (Decree Absolute / Decree Nisi)

If you are unable to supply any of the above we will accept a letter from your solicitor detailing the reasons for the difference in name.

Please send your evidence/ cover letter and customer reference number to

Team 6Operation ServicesStudent Loans Company Ltd100 Bothwell StreetGlasgowG2 7JDThanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending