The Student Room Group

Bought an mx5 as first car but can't afford insurance

Scroll to see replies

Modify it but don't drive it?
Original post by Xsjajosa
It is not dangerous in terms of safety or reliability. I bought the car with the help of a relative who has been a mechanic for 20+ years. However, i will be spending £500 on a runabout for the next few years

They're reliable but safety wise they trust the driver a bit much, and the only serious accident anyone I've ever known has been in an MX-5 so im a bit biased (friend of a friend is permanently injured)
Original post by GonvilleBromhead
They're reliable but safety wise they trust the driver a bit much, and the only serious accident anyone I've ever known has been in an MX-5 so im a bit biased (friend of a friend is permanently injured)

I've also heard this (more so about the older models without traction control etc) - they are cars to be treated with respect.
Original post by AtheClassicMan
I like your taste🙂 and just put yourself as named driver then you can enjoy the 9mpg just like me (18btw)
Attachment not found

beautiful looking p38!! oslo blue??

the one i have around me is a Monte carlo blue 4.6 vogue!!

one day i'll drive it!!

she gets 18mpg lol on a good day!
Track day bro
Original post by Starwreck
beautiful looking p38!! oslo blue??

the one i have around me is a Monte carlo blue 4.6 vogue!!

one day i'll drive it!!

she gets 18mpg lol on a good day!

No, Java Black and when you finally get to drive one I promise you will not be disappointed. Kick it into Sport and it literally flies.
Hey man i was lucky like you and managed to get myself a 1990 mx5, barely and rust and new hood for £425 back in 2015, i have restored it back to original shape as i noticed the prices rising, join the club on not getting insurance though. Only chance i can drive it is on provisional.
Reply 27
Original post by Bwndwcko
Hey man i was lucky like you and managed to get myself a 1990 mx5, barely and rust and new hood for £425 back in 2015, i have restored it back to original shape as i noticed the prices rising, join the club on not getting insurance though. Only chance i can drive it is on provisional.

Sweet! My saving hope is that i've passed my test now and got a banger to drive around and build up no claims before getting insurance on my mx5 in a few years
the insurance would be around 9000£ for me right now

Am i the only that can't stop laughing at this number?

They're basically saying we're not insuring you on this
In june this year, i bought my first car aged 17, as the title suggests, it was a cheap mazda mx5 mk2 which was advertised for £600. I mainly bought it as a project car to work as i'm a huge fan of cars and love tinkering and modifying them. However, there is no way I can afford the insurance and I am wondering what my options aer at the present.

(I'm not willing to sell the car, he is my baby)

If you don’t want to sell your MX5 car then why not take up Rally Driving? You can take it Rallies which are off road and race it around till your hearts content. Just need to put some reinforcement bars in the roof and sides etc. As you say you enjoy modification and tinkering with cars so there’s your chance!

I agree though car Insurance is a rip off and the government should do something about it.
Reply 30
Original post by Ambitious1999
I agree though car Insurance is a rip off and the government should do something about it.

Run over and kill a child, then try to pay the compensation yourself - you won't think it's a rip off then!
Get a classic

I only pay £50 a month on classic insurance

lotus s3 white.jpg
Reply 32
Original post by Rwitekmc04
Get a classic

I only pay £50 a month on classic insurance

lotus s3 white.jpg

WHAT?!? Can i ask how old you are?
WHAT?!? Can i ask how old you are?

Im 22 mate
Reply 34
Original post by Rwitekmc04
Im 22 mate

Oh, nice car though :P
Reply 35
Original post by New_to_tsr
It's an ugly base car tbh, should've got a Corolla or Cougar that way insurance should've been reasonable and they are both compatible for heavy modification.

How is it an ugly base car? NB MX5's look great. Thats why they are some of the most loved cars within the culture :auto:
Reply 36
Original post by JJB103
How is it an ugly base car? NB MX5's look great. Thats why they are some of the most loved cars within the culture :auto:

Ah, i see you are a man of culture as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending