The Student Room Group

Why do so many apps want my location when it's not relevant?

My alarm clock app has been asking me for my location for the past 3 days. Google constantly wants to know my location, as does my network provider's app when I'm checking my bills. A pair of wireless headphones asked for my location yesterday when I connected them to my phone. Other apps I can't think of right now ask for my location, why do they need this? I always say no so they keep asking. Since when has my location been relevant to needing to wake up at a certain time in the morning? Yet another move by the surveillance state.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AstronomicaI
Why do you need an alarm app?
Don't you have one built-in to the phone?

I hate Apple's clock app, especially as it has sometimes failed to actually sound an alarm when I've entered all the settings correctly and my phone isn't on silent.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Glassapple
My alarm clock app has been asking me for my location for the past 3 days. Google constantly wants to know my location, as does my network provider's app when I'm checking my usage. A pair of wireless headphones asked for my location yesterday when I connected them to my phone. Other apps I can't think of right now ask for my location, why do they need this? Since when has my location been relevant to needing to wake up at a certain time in the morning? Yet another move by the surveillance state.

Hi there! :wavey:

This thread should be in the Mobile phones forum. I'll just tag @AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there for you :h:
Even gaming apps are asking for my location..
My alarm clock app has been asking me for my location for the past 3 days. Google constantly wants to know my location, as does my network provider's app when I'm checking my bills. A pair of wireless headphones asked for my location yesterday when I connected them to my phone. Other apps I can't think of right now ask for my location, why do they need this? Since when has my location been relevant to needing to wake up at a certain time in the morning? Yet another move by the surveillance state.

DataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataData

Lots of DataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataData

Data = money

That's the only reasonable answer I can come up with at 22:12
On android you revoke permissions to apps from the system and prevent them from asking you more than once
Original post by Blue_Cow
DataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataData

Lots of DataDataDataDataDataDataDataDataData

Data = money

That's the only reasonable answer I can come up with at 22:12

You mean they want me to use more data so my bill gets higher? They're not going to get anything out of that since I have unlimited data on my phone.

Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ
On android you revoke permissions to apps from the system and prevent them from asking you more than once

I have an iPhone, can you revoke permissions for location on Apple devices?
(edited 6 years ago)
You mean they want me to use more data so my bill gets higher? They're not going to get anything out of that since I have unlimited data on my phone.

No no, as in they can sell on your location information alongside any other telemetry you have shared to companies for analysis/marketing etc.
any information about you is valuable-they can make money from it
you give them valuable information for free-its worth it for them
Some apps use location data for advertisements and 3rd party companies etc.

It's not that kind of data. They don't profit from your bill being higher. The point is that they collect information from you, and they might possibly sell it to other companies. You wouldn't want that, would you?

In general, check what permissions an app requires. Are they justified? What happens if you decline them? Many apps I have want my location but I turned off location sensing completely and they work just fine. It just means that when you post a selfie of yourself somewhere, it won't automatically say where it is.
My alarm clock app has been asking me for my location for the past 3 days. Google constantly wants to know my location, as does my network provider's app when I'm checking my bills. A pair of wireless headphones asked for my location yesterday when I connected them to my phone. Other apps I can't think of right now ask for my location, why do they need this? I always say no so they keep asking. Since when has my location been relevant to needing to wake up at a certain time in the morning? Yet another move by the surveillance state.

Alarm clock -> time zones I imagine
Google -> tailored search results and ads based on your location (plus the excuse to get their hands on your location data for other purposes)

Idk about the orhers
Original post by D3LLI5
Alarm clock -> time zones I imagine
Google -> tailored search results and ads based on your location (plus the excuse to get their hands on your location data for other purposes)

Idk about the orhers

Why is my time zone relevant when I'm choosing the time the alarm rings in my own time zone? There's nothing giving them my location would help me with.
I disabled that but for some I want to know my location like weather lol and maps too because I use the map app a LOT but recently I accidentally sent photos to the map!! 😭 I nearly had a panic attack because the views kept increasing like whoever clicks on a place on the map an image gallery pops up and my images went straight to my location. Removed em though. Still annoyed and freaked out.

I have an iPhone, can you revoke permissions for location on Apple devices?

I wouldn't know, but I have my location off at all times unless I have to use Maps to get somewhere. In what other cases do you need it on?
Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ
I wouldn't know, but I have my location off at all times unless I have to use Maps to get somewhere. In what other cases do you need it on?

Even when I've turned location services off the apps still ask for it it anyway, they prompt me to allow location for them individually. I use only location for Maps and Grindr when I'm using them and have it off when I'm not, but they always ask anyway.
Why is my time zone relevant when I'm choosing the time the alarm rings? There's nothing giving them my location would help me with.

If the person coding the app was a **** programmer then they may be using absolute GMT dates / offsets for the alarm clock time, then adjusting for time zones by looking at your location. It’s the only reason I can think of for why am alarm clock would need your location. Idk you can’t assume all programmers are competent, your app may have been written by an 8 year old
Even when I've turned location services off the apps still ask for it it anyway, they prompt me to allow location for them individually. I use only location for Maps and Grindr when I'm using them and have it off when I'm not, but they always ask anyway.

Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services.

Make sure that Location Services is on.

Scroll down to find the app.

Tap the app and select an option:

Never: Prevents access to Location Services information.

Reply 18
It happens on my Chromebook too. Pearson Realize wants to know my location, Google wants to know my location, heck, even this site wants to know where I am. It is happening to my buddies too.
Reply 19
Not necessarily malicious. More often than not lazy app development.

Go to Settings, Apps& Notifications, Advanced, App Permissions and review what Apps have access to Location, Camera, Microphone, Phone, Contacts, SMS, Storage, Call Logs. 5-10 min job at most to turn off unnecessary permissions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending