The Student Room Group

How do you navigate the social side of uni?

I'm 33 and just started a masters degree, in environmental management which I've wanted to be doing for years.

But I'm really struggling to work out how best to navigate the social side of uni.
At my age do I just have to assume I'm too old to do more than go to lectures and go home? Are there societies which are more likely to have a broader mix of ages as I would like find some places I can fit in and have more of a social life while I'm here.
How do you manage being older than a lot of the other people on your course?
Look on facebook to see if there's a postgrad society - many unis have those and it would be a good place to start
Original post by Alex_was_here
I'm 33 and just started a masters degree, in environmental management which I've wanted to be doing for years.

But I'm really struggling to work out how best to navigate the social side of uni.
At my age do I just have to assume I'm too old to do more than go to lectures and go home? Are there societies which are more likely to have a broader mix of ages as I would like find some places I can fit in and have more of a social life while I'm here.

Alex, massive congratulations for getting onto your course!
Check out the societies that your uni offers. Once you're talking to like-minded people most of them won't care how old you are. (And the ones that do are probably insecure and self-conscious about something themselves). The make up of members is really going to vary depending on your uni and interests, but see if you can find some society FB pages and groups. Then you can get a rough idea of who the active members are :smile:
Original post by Alex_was_here

Search for other mature students at your university. There will most likely already be a chat set up for mature students. Or at least a facebook page/group. :biggrin:
I go to quite a few non-society but subject based meetings, conferences and guest lectures- I always end up meeting like-minded people and it's great networking.

I don't bother with the usual mature student stuff as realistically it's anyone aged 25-80- so the only things we have in common is that we're not young.
Reply 5
I'm really ancient but tend to just join in with whatever the under 20s are into! if you're fun to socialize with, people soon forget about this age nonsense. I recommend sampling some SU nights out - it's an amusing education :-)
Good luck!
Hey thanks for the advice everyone. Actually really enjoyed getting to know people at the uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending