The Student Room Group

Do you think this was weird ?

I have been going to Butlins since I was 14. My mum loves it so I turned 18 in June 2016. At 14, butlins is great to find friends your age... when you get over not so much. So last year I went in the Summer 2016 with my mum friends 11 year old daughter. We just went on activities and playgrounds and I made friends with a nearly 14 year old, a 12 year old and 14 year old. Everything was fine and dandy but the nearly 14 year olds nan didn’t like it? Said it’s weird that I’m hanging round a 13 year old and she got married at 19 and that it’s wrong , I tried to tell her I have no intentions. I really didn’t. At the time I didn’t see her problem. But I’m wondering if it was weird. Then again either way , weird or not, I was dragged to Butlins a place for family and children. I don’t go anymore and haven’t been since I was 18, and have no intention of going back

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
I can see how they'd find it weird. Generally you don't see 18 year olds hanging round with 12 year olds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
It is a bit odd.
if you're a male then i guess it is kind of weird and creepy in a way not gonna lie.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
if you're a male then i guess it is kind of weird and creepy in a way not gonna lie.

I’m a female, they were all male
Reply 6
Original post by markovchain17
I can see how they'd find it weird. Generally you don't see 18 year olds hanging round with 12 year olds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know but I had no intentions. Plus at Butlins there is literally no one my age
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
It is a bit odd.

Hm I guess. I can’t remember the last time I spoke to someone 12 since. But weird or not, it was Butlins. But still
Reply 8

It’s funny how it was assumed I’m probably a male lmao.
Reply 9
Yeah, artificial environment and stuff but still, it's not so much the years gap but the perceived developmental gap between 12 and 18. I'd not be too impressed if it was my kid aged 12 in that equation.

+ if I was male would it be more creepy or weird if the kids were female?
Original post by markovchain17

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by gjd800
It is a bit odd.

Thanks for the answers. I’m a female girl and they were all male. I didn’t think it was odd because to me I had no intentions and we were going round as friends. Generally I don’t hang around people younger than me I can’t think last when I spoke to someone below 15 really. But this showed I need to never return to Butlins 😴.
Original post by gjd800
Yeah, artificial environment and stuff but still, it's not so much the years gap but the perceived developmental gap between 12 and 18. I'd not be too impressed if it was my kid aged 12 in that equation.

Are you tired. We're like the only ppl up.
Reply 13
Original post by Salt Queen

Not really, I keep strange hours tbh.
Original post by gjd800

Ah the 12 year old was the brother or cousin of the nearly 14 year old. I can see your point but in my mind I had no intention. I mean two years before this in 2014, there was a 17 year old hanging with me (16) a 15 year old, a 13 year old, her brother (16) and then 15yr old cousins ( both 11). It didn’t seem anything that the guy was 17 and the youngest were 11. Nobody though about the ages. It would be odd for me generally IRL but maybe I didn’t think so at the time because In my mind there was no intention. I’m just glad I’ve stopped going to Butlins though 😴
Original post by Salt Queen

I’m on the autistic spectrum so not really
Reply 16
Ah the 12 year old was the brother or cousin of the nearly 14 year old. I can see your point but in my mind I had no intention. I mean two years before this in 2014, there was a 17 year old hanging with me (16) a 15 year old, a 13 year old, her brother (16) and then 15yr old cousins ( both 11). It didn’t seem anything that the guy was 17 and the youngest were 11. Nobody though about the ages. It would be odd for me generally IRL but maybe I didn’t think so at the time because In my mind there was no intention. I’m just glad I’ve stopped going to Butlins though 😴

I'm certainly not casting aspersions about you, I don't doubt your word at all. Intentions or not it just seems a bit unusual, which'd raise my suspicions a little bit, yknow. It's hard at places like Butlins, the age spread seems really either-or. either families with young kids, or old people with retirement vans. No in between.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
Not really, I keep strange hours tbh.

Me too 😶

I’m a female, they were all male

Lucky
Contrary to everyone else, I don’t find it weird. There was no one else your age. What were you meant to do. I actually spent the day with my friends younger sister yesterday who’s 4 years younger than me. She’s very mature for her age and I feel like an older sister to her. Yes it’s not quite the same as your situation, but it wasn’t an individual basis but as a group too. So it’s not as if there was anything untoward taking place
Original post by gjd800
I'm certainly not casting aspersions about you, I don't doubt your word at all. Intentions or not it just seems a bit unusual, which'd raise my suspicions a little bit, yknow. It's hard at places like Butlins, the age spread seems really either-or. either families with young kids, or old people with retirement vans. No in between.

I think the Nan was , even though she said she knows I didn’t have any intentions. Her other point was what would you say if it was a 21 year old which to me sounded stupid as theirs a big difference in 21 from 18, and I wasn’t 21. It is unusual, i don’t disagree on that, I don’t think I’ve even spoken to a 12 year old ( apart form last year ) in years. Yeah it is like that at Butlins, it’s okay being 14 and below but aged 15 and up it’s hard finding friends your age. I never really saw old people I mostly saw families with kids and if teenagers mostly 14 and below. 2015 was a good year, I was 17, and was friends with two 16 years olds , one born in 1998 like me. I think it’s a wake up call that I got too old for Butlins. There’s nothing to do their anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending