The Student Room Group

What is a Marxist reading of a text?

We touched briefly over this in a masterclass on critiquing (from theoretical perspectives) and the teacher talked about Marxist readings of a text but didn't explain what they were...(typical :smile: )
Can someone explain simply what a Marxist reading is? I'm now pretty curious to learn about it.
Thanks
TOASTIEKID xxx
From what I remember there's a handful (probably more) perspectives you can use to critique a text- feminism, Marxism, the literary canon, ecological and post colonialism. To look at something through a Marxist perspective would mean to consider the class differences and the effect of one on the other. Keywords such as proletariat, exploitation etc would be expected I guess. For example, the sentence (completely made up) 'He beat her as she did not complete her work' could be seen through both a feminist perspective and a Marxist perspective (although Marxism doesn't really deal with gender, there are power dynamics here and he's automatically set up a hierarchy in which the woman is expected to complete all the work or be beat and he is the one administering the beatings).
Class.

How is it dealt with? What power relationships are at play?
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
Class.

How is it dealt with? What power relationships are at play?

Original post by GrapeCrocodile
From what I remember there's a handful (probably more) perspectives you can use to critique a text- feminism, Marxism, the literary canon, ecological and post colonialism. To look at something through a Marxist perspective would mean to consider the class differences and the effect of one on the other. Keywords such as proletariat, exploitation etc would be expected I guess. For example, the sentence (completely made up) 'He beat her as she did not complete her work' could be seen through both a feminist perspective and a Marxist perspective (although Marxism doesn't really deal with gender, there are power dynamics here and he's automatically set up a hierarchy in which the woman is expected to complete all the work or be beat and he is the one administering the beatings).

Thank you! This is really helpful!
Reply 4
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
A marxist reading of a text is the only true reading of a text.

What do you mean by that?...:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending