The Student Room Group

Need advice from parents...

Hi,

So, if your child was invited to a sleepover by the parents of your child's friend, how would you decline the invitation over text message without seeming rude? I was thinking of something like 'thank you for the invitation but I have a no sleepover policy for my children' but I think that sounds rude.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
I'm not a parent but the way you've phrased it doesn't seem rude. Parents have to be understanding about the way other parents raise their children. Out of curiosity though, why do you have this policy?
It sounds fine to me.
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Hi,

So, if your child was invited to a sleepover by the parents of your child's friend, how would you decline the invitation over text message without seeming rude? I was thinking of something like 'thank you for the invitation but I have a no sleepover policy for my children' but I think that sounds rude.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

It doesn't sound rude at all. Precise and to the point. Best way.
Reply 4
Sorry, [Child's name] won't be able to attend.

There's no real need to justify it or give a reason.
Saying that you've got a "policy" sounds pretty odd.

This \/
Original post by Tubbz

is the most sensible response.
It isn't really odd at all. In stating that it's family policy, it's more or less informing the inviting parent that it's not a personal stance against them, but a general one.
This is how I did it with my children. A note to say that my child won't be attendingxxxbirthday/sleepover. Many times I wanted to say 'I don't want my child around yours because your son/daughter is a little tosser' but always had to refrain myself.
'sorry but we have family plans that weekend'

or don't give a reason
Why do you have a no sleepover policy?
Original post by Tiger Rag
It sounds fine to me.

Original post by Seamus123
It doesn't sound rude at all. Precise and to the point. Best way.

Original post by DrawTheLine
I'm not a parent but the way you've phrased it doesn't seem rude. Parents have to be understanding about the way other parents raise their children. Out of curiosity though, why do you have this policy?

Original post by Tubbz

Original post by Seamus123
It isn't really odd at all. In stating that it's family policy, it's more or less informing the inviting parent that it's not a personal stance against them, but a general one.
This is how I did it with my children. A note to say that my child won't be attendingxxxbirthday/sleepover. Many times I wanted to say 'I don't want my child around yours because your son/daughter is a little tosser' but always had to refrain myself.

Original post by doodle_333
'sorry but we have family plans that weekend'

or don't give a reason

Thank you all for your responses - much appreciated!
Original post by DrawTheLine

The only friends I'd let my daughter have a sleepover with are those whose family I've known for many years, as that way I know I'm able to trust them...receiving a sleepover invitation from random parent I've never seen nor spoken to isn't something I'd accept, and is the nature of most of the sleepover invitations my children receive, unfortunately!
Original post by PQ
Saying that you've got a "policy" sounds pretty odd.

This \/

is the most sensible response.

Thanks for your input :smile:
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
The only friends I'd let my daughter have a sleepover with are those whose family I've known for many years, as that way I know I'm able to trust them...receiving a sleepover invitation from random parent I've never seen nor spoken to isn't something I'd accept, and is the nature of most of the sleepover invitations my children receive, unfortunately!

That's fair enough.

Quick Reply

Latest