The Student Room Group

Best way to get the iPhone x in my situation?

So I pay £38pm currently for my phone, in addition to three other phone contracts that come up to £83pm from my own pocket. I’m looking to get the iPhone x without the sim, and preferably, cheaper than what it is.

If I get it from very, for example, I’d pay £45.95pm for 20months. The main issue here is that I’ll essentially be paying £80+ for one phone (sim + device) which is too much for me - especially considering I’m a student.

I can’t afford to pay for the phone upfront, nor am I willing to since generally, I wait a few months and get a phone cheaper.

I need a new phone right now (note the use of the term ‘need’). Are there any smarter ways I can go about getting the x?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

You can't decide you want a £1000 phone and then get frustrated that all the options for getting one are too expensive for you when you've got over £80 in phone bills going out every month already. I would also double check the fine print on wherever you've got those numbers from Very, I highly doubt they're going to let you spread the cost of a £999 phone and only pay £917. I would expect their interest rate is added onto the top of that.

I would personally suggest buying a cheap Android handset and get saving. This may require some lifestyle changes but that's what you get when you decide you want one of the most expensive phones on the market. You put a lot of emphasis on needing a new phone very shortly and odds are iPhone X stock is going to be extremely tight for at least a couple of months anyway.
Original post by _howl
So I pay £38pm currently for my phone, in addition to three other phone contracts that come up to £83pm from my own pocket. I’m looking to get the iPhone x without the sim, and preferably, cheaper than what it is.

If I get it from very, for example, I’d pay £45.85pm for 20months. The main issue here is that I’ll essentially be paying £80+ for one phone (sim + device) which is too much for me - especially considering I’m a student.

I can’t afford to pay for the phone upfront, nor am I willing to since generally, I wait a few months and get a phone cheaper.

I need a new phone right now (note the use of the term ‘need’). Are there any smarter ways I can go about getting the x?

Why not get another phone then since you clearly can’t afford it?
Reply 3
Original post by _howl
So I pay £38pm currently for my phone, in addition to three other phone contracts that come up to £83pm from my own pocket.

especially considering I’m a student.

Anyone else seeing the obvious solution here?
Reply 4
Original post by VirgoStrain
Yep - don’t buy the sh***y phone.

I was thinking more along the lines of "don't have 4 chuffing phones in the first place".
Original post by _howl

If I get it from very, for example, I’d pay £45.85pm for 20months. The main issue here is that I’ll essentially be paying £80+ for one phone (sim + device) which is too much for me - especially considering I’m a student.

If you can't afford to pay for a £1000 phone, then why try and get it. The phone IMO is overrated anyways!

Get a better phone like the 7, or the 8.
Why do you have four phone contracts? Do you have four arms to use them all with?!
Reply 7
Original post by _howl

Please explain why you have four phone contracts and why you 'need' another?
Reply 8
Typing error - I meant £49.95 excluding interest.

I understand the issue of stock, hence why I had initially planned to pre-order. But yes, I do understand your point.

Original post by Jonnyboy799
Why do you have four phone contracts? Do you have four arms to use them all with?!

Original post by Rakas21
Please explain why you have four phone contracts and why you 'need' another?

Not all mine...
But you are paying for them?
Original post by _howl

I understand the issue of stock, hence why I had initially planned to pre-order. But yes, I do understand your point.

Not all mine...

Why are you paying for them then?
Reply 11
Original post by Jonnyboy799
But you are paying for them?

Original post by Rakas21
Why are you paying for them then?

Not your concern
Won't it come down in price within the next year or so? But yeah, I agree, you're better off getting a cheap Android.
Then why bother to post on here? Do you think you wont get questions and we will provide you with some magic iPhone x solution. Simple answer is you can't afford it. Get a iPhone 8 or save up.
Why do you need the X?
I can understand needing a new phone but not NEEDING the X...Get the 7 or the 8..
Original post by _howl
Not your concern

It's not, but it clearly ought to be a concern for you if you want to get the most expensive phone currently on the (normal) market*. Especially when you also make the point that you're a student.

How do you realistically believe it's possible to get something for less than it's worth when it's still brand new?

The whole post smacks of naïvety, ignorance and stubbornness.

*Excluding the crazy designer one offs and the like
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by _howl
Not your concern

If it's not our concern don't include it in your post?
Original post by _howl

If I get it from very, for example, I’d pay £45.95pm for 20months. The main issue here is that I’ll essentially be paying £80+ for one phone (sim + device) which is too much for me - especially considering I’m a student.

ee and o2 do 20% discount on contracts and free 500 mb of data each month
Original post by _howl

The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are both very similar to the X - same processor, basically the same cameras (for the Plus), same wireless charging etc. etc. If you can't afford the X, get the 8 (or indeed the 7, which is still very capable).
Original post by _howl

And what's the interest rate?

The solution here is to stop trying to live above your means, to be honest. If you can't afford the phone without resorting to a place like Very, then you shouldn't be aiming for that phone. If you're determined to have a one then take more hours at work, cut out some luxuries, do what you need to do in order to walk into an Apple shop next year and hand over a wad of cash. Don't indebt yourself for the sake of a phone you'll want to upgrade next year anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending