The Student Room Group

What are these unis like?

School is stressing me out because we need to have ideas about which uni and which course we want to go to pretty soon. I can only really find old threads about these unis, so I'll start a new one. I'm pretty sure I'm going to apply for computer science (or possibly animation, but compsci is more likely).

Leeds
Newcastle
Nottingham
Exeter
Kings' College London

What are these unis like? How are they socially - I've heard that they can be rah or nouveau riche? Are any of them particularly rough or chavvy?
Reply 1
Newcastle is supposed to be the best out of them all socially but because it's so far in the north, it's separate from the rest of the country. Personally, I'm choosing Leeds as my first choice due to how good the social life is but how good the uni is too (Russell Group). Exeter is dead for social life and Nottingham is very good for both social life and compsci. Kings has the whole of London so is AMAZING for social life but would also be very costly. I'd say decide between Newcastle, Leeds and Nottingham unless you wouldn't mind spending more at Kings
Original post by Mahel
Newcastle is supposed to be the best out of them all socially but because it's so far in the north, it's separate from the rest of the country. Personally, I'm choosing Leeds as my first choice due to how good the social life is but how good the uni is too (Russell Group). Exeter is dead for social life and Nottingham is very good for both social life and compsci. Kings has the whole of London so is AMAZING for social life but would also be very costly. I'd say decide between Newcastle, Leeds and Nottingham unless you wouldn't mind spending more at Kings

You seem to be fallaciously equating busy city with decent social life.
Reply 3
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
You seem to be fallaciously equating busy city with decent social life.

well you're not going to find nightclub of the country in a farm are you? :biggrin:
Original post by Mahel
well you're not going to find nightclub of the country in a farm are you? :biggrin:

Glastonbury organisers might disagree with the premise.

And it is all good and well having several decent clubs. But if you're so disconnected from everyone else from your uni, owing to there being no central halls, then you're going to those clubs by your Todd.
Original post by unknown_usr
School is stressing me out because we need to have ideas about which uni and which course we want to go to pretty soon. I can only really find old threads about these unis, so I'll start a new one. I'm pretty sure I'm going to apply for computer science (or possibly animation, but compsci is more likely).

Leeds
Newcastle
Nottingham
Exeter
Kings' College London

What are these unis like? How are they socially - I've heard that they can be rah or nouveau riche? Are any of them particularly rough or chavvy?

It's an odd mix for comp sci - what are their typical offers? It doesn't look like you've got a good insurance option in there.

What are your reasons for shortlisting this five? (not that any of them are bad universities but they're also not really known for their comp sci either and there doesn't seem to be anything else tying them together)
Original post by unknown_usr

Leeds
Newcastle
Nottingham
Exeter
Kings' College London

Hi :ciao:

The best advise in this situation would be for you to attend the Open Days of the universities you are interested in.
Each university will offer different facilities for the course you are interested in so going on an Open Day will help you to see choose which one is best for you. Open Days are also a good opportunity to speak to academics, students and members of the student union.

If you can't attend many of these, I'm sure if you contact the universities directly they may be able to offer you a campus tour & a chat with an academic on a different day.

Hope this helps & best of luck
Ruth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending