The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Applicants for 2018 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by patrickwahins
Thanks, I don't really understand the Scottish system.

Sociology and Politics and the requirements for advanced entry are A*A*A* which I got.

Then you should really contact them to see where the problem is!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by alpegu006
Well I LOVE travelling and it was actually an amazing excuse to go on a small holiday hahahaha Glasgow is a beautiful city and so is its university, so it wasn't hard to convince my parents, who would rather I go to Glasgow than Imperial (no fees in Scotland)

Suppose its best to take advantage of the EU quota before Brexit happens! You will not regret coming to Scotland though, lived here all my life and I think Glasgow is the perfect city to make the most out of your most creative and active years. Some people disregard Glasgow as 'deprived' and 'dodgy', and to be honest in some parts the city isn't amazing, but what city is absolutely perfect, right? The west-end of Glasgow is really great though, and the subway will make it very accessible too.
Hi everyone!

Course applying for: Veterinary Medicine and Chemistry (5th choice)
Predicted/achieved grades: IB 42 with 776 HL
Current offer status: Offer for Chemistry 665 with 36 points total, confirmation from vet, fingers crossed for an interview
What made you apply?: Really like the city and near to my brother which is a bonus
I was there! The open day is the No. 1 reason why I am now struggling between Imperial College London (if I get an offer) and Glasgow. Before the open day I was 90% sure I'd choose Imperial but now Glasgow is much more attractive...
Anyway point is I loved it and I can actually picture me studying there next year, plus its biomedical engineering course looks quite good!
What will you study? Where are you from?

What surprised me on the open day was that everyone seemed so young, like 15-16 years old while I'm 17. Why is that? How old are you btw?

I loved the open day too! :biggrin: I'll be studying Neuroscience, and one of my main reasons for liking Glasgow is the super flexible degree structure! I'm from the Netherlands, and honestly Glasgow uni was like unlike anything I'd seen before. Dutch universities are generally just practical and not at all pretty haha.

I'm 16, skipped a grade in primary school - which is quite common here. I'll turn 17 in May, so will be underage for most of first year. I'm quite worried about the drinking/going out aspect of uni because of this, I've never been to a club whatsoever because it's not a thing here at all and I'm afraid I won't get in because of my age...
Original post by hysterria
I loved the open day too! :biggrin: I'll be studying Neuroscience, and one of my main reasons for liking Glasgow is the super flexible degree structure! I'm from the Netherlands, and honestly Glasgow uni was like unlike anything I'd seen before. Dutch universities are generally just practical and not at all pretty haha.

I'm 16, skipped a grade in primary school - which is quite common here. I'll turn 17 in May, so will be underage for most of first year. I'm quite worried about the drinking/going out aspect of uni because of this, I've never been to a club whatsoever because it's not a thing here at all and I'm afraid I won't get in because of my age...

The doors of clubs are quite rigorously checked for identification, that's not to say that fake ID doesn't work as it will if you pull it off.
Then you should really contact them to see where the problem is!

Yeah I will do, thanks anyway.
Original post by dutchette7
Hi everyone!

Course applying for: Veterinary Medicine and Chemistry (5th choice)
Predicted/achieved grades: IB 42 with 776 HL
Current offer status: Offer for Chemistry 665 with 36 points total, confirmation from vet, fingers crossed for an interview
What made you apply?: Really like the city and near to my brother which is a bonus

My friend got an interview for vet med today at Glasgow, fingers crossed as I think today or Friday marked the beginning of them giving interviews!
Original post by SocialStudiesETC
My friend got an interview for vet med today at Glasgow, fingers crossed as I think today or Friday marked the beginning of them giving interviews!

Oh wow already! Glasgow is my #1 choice for vet, so I'm really hoping I at least get an interview.
Oh wow already! Glasgow is my #1 choice for vet, so I'm really hoping I at least get an interview.

Don't worry though, my other friend who also wants to study vet at Glasgow is still waiting on an interview, so take reassurance from that! I seem to have an endless list of friends who want to do vet at Glasgow to be honest hahaha.
Suppose its best to take advantage of the EU quota before Brexit happens! You will not regret coming to Scotland though, lived here all my life and I think Glasgow is the perfect city to make the most out of your most creative and active years. Some people disregard Glasgow as 'deprived' and 'dodgy', and to be honest in some parts the city isn't amazing, but what city is absolutely perfect, right? The west-end of Glasgow is really great though, and the subway will make it very accessible too.

I think Glasgow has undergone a transformation similar to Bilbao in Spain, de-industrialised and de-roughed to turn into a cool city with character. Plus Glaswegians are by far the friendliest people I have met in the British Islands, and I have seen my share of British/Irish towns and cities (I lived in Dorset for half a year and I regularly travel to different parts of Britain and Ireland).

Plus I like a city which is rough around the edges as long as I don't get knifed, it adds an adventurous atmosphere without fearing for my life!
I think Glasgow has undergone a transformation similar to Bilbao in Spain, de-industrialised and de-roughed to turn into a cool city with character. Plus Glaswegians are by far the friendliest people I have met in the British Islands, and I have seen my share of British/Irish towns and cities (I lived in Dorset for half a year and I regularly travel to different parts of Britain and Ireland).

Plus I like a city which is rough around the edges as long as I don't get knifed, it adds an adventurous atmosphere without fearing for my life!

As someone who wants to study History/Politics, I'm fascinated by the current Catalonia independence campaign and the complex nature of Basque nationalism. Glasgow is definitely a 21st century city.
Don't worry though, my other friend who also wants to study vet at Glasgow is still waiting on an interview, so take reassurance from that! I seem to have an endless list of friends who want to do vet at Glasgow to be honest hahaha.

Glasgow does have an amazing vet school, so I'm not surprised! I am an EU applicant, so maybe I'll have to wait a bit longer to hear back...
Glasgow does have an amazing vet school, so I'm not surprised! I am an EU applicant, so maybe I'll have to wait a bit longer to hear back...

I'm sure you'll be fine, best of luck! :smile:
As someone who wants to study History/Politics, I'm fascinated by the current Catalonia independence campaign and the complex nature of Basque nationalism. Glasgow is definitely a 21st century city.

Plus as a scot yourself you can sort of relate to it, since you have a historically relevant independence movement of your own. At the moment it's kind of a touchy subject to talk about here, much like brexit around there, I suppose.

Although I am not in favour of nationalism, I understand the motives behind the movement: there are more than enough reasons to want to quit Spain. In addition, the history of independence supporters being the strongest opposition to Franco's regime during the dictatorship is actually somewhat romantic, much like the international brigades that came to Spain to fight against the coup.

I was happily surprised by a monument to these international brigades, in particular the ~5000 scots who died here, which is next to the river Clyde in Glasgow and which I found by accident. Certainly didn't expect it!
Course applying for: Community Development

Predicted/achieved grades: BCC

Current offer status: not acknowledged/ heard.
Course applying for:
History and Politics
Predicted/achieved grades:
AS Level: Eng lit - A (183/200), History - A (198/200), German - A
A level: German - A (took it all in one year)
Predictions: Eng lit - A*, History - A*, French (taking all in one year too) - A
Current offer status:
applied about 3 weeks ago and got an offer for AB (because I already had an A in German I guess)
Original post by NoraGrace
Course applying for:
History and Politics
Predicted/achieved grades:
AS Level: Eng lit - A (183/200), History - A (198/200), German - A
A level: German - A (took it all in one year)
Predictions: Eng lit - A*, History - A*, French (taking all in one year too) - A
Current offer status:
applied about 3 weeks ago and got an offer for AB (because I already had an A in German I guess)

Just got my conditional for history and politics today!
Just got my conditional for history and politics today!

Awesome! What grades are they asking for?
Awesome! What grades are they asking for?

A and B at higher or B at higher and B at advanced higher plus summer school. I have to ask about summer school as I’m in Peru for a month when it’s on so hopefully that works out
I GOT AN OFFER OF AAA!!

What are your UCAS choices? (In order of preference) St.Andrews, Glasgow, Exeter, Strathclyde, Aberdeen
What course do you want to study? Scottish literature and Psychology
What are your grades/predictions and extracurricular activities? AAA AS grades in Literature, Psychology and Religious studies, predicted the same for A-levels. 4A*/3A/4Bs at GCSE. I have a higher distinction in a Level 3 TEFL course and I'm going on Americamp this year to do something to do with teaching. I've competed at county level horse riding and set myself a challenge to read 50 books a year.
Why do you want to go? I loved it when I went! The course is what I want so I'm so pleased to have an offer :smile: I don't think I'm exceptional but I do work very hard. I'm also from SE England!

Quick Reply

Latest