Reply 40
That was awful
How are my chances looking?:

International
Undergrad Medicine/Non-deffered
Igcse's: 7 a* 2a
IB Predicted: 44/45
BMAT: Wrote it today
Work experience: 3 weeks shadowing each at 3 different multi specialty hospitals, 2 weeks pharmacy and A&E, Orphanage, Hospice, Part of VT-SEVA(NGO) For 4 years
Extracurriculus:
State basketball, basketball captain, prefect, american football nationals, piano, travelling, olympiads (won state and national awards), IB Extende essay on spine curvature, pretty good PS.
Damn you guys have good applications. How did you get so much work experience in clinical settings?
Home/International: Home
Deferred?: No
GCSEs: 8A*s 3As
A Level Prediction/Results: A*AA
BMAT (if applicable): 5.4, 4.9, 3A
Work Experience/Volunteering: Four years as a young leader, 1 year at a nursery, 1 week at sexual health charity, 1 week at hospital, various other experiences with local medical school
Extra Curricular: Grade 6 musical theatre exams, drama group, school council, write blogs for a studying site
(edited 6 years ago)
How does UCL look at the BMAT?
Reply 45
Original post by MarkLane_9
How does UCL look at the BMAT?

They don't place a huge emphasis, I think personal statement is more important to them and if you have good GCSEs then they might not scrutinise your BMAT as much, although I think they reject anyone who doesn't have at least 2.5 in the essay. Sadly I'm not entirely sure if my PS will be good enough to make up for a mediocre BMAT.
UCL looks at both ur BMAT and PS . In terms of BMAT scores they calculate an average for each section based on everyone who has applied. BUT THEY DO NOT USE THAT AS CUT OFF
(edited 6 years ago)
AH BMAT I hope UCL looks at candidates overall :/
Do UCL really reject anyone with less than 2.5A in essay?? Worried now
Reply 49
Original post by DvsAmjed

I was going through a spreadsheet from 2015 and that appeared to be the case. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_medicine_admission_statisti_36

It’s not a given, but in 2016 out of 180 people who scored 2A in the essay only 6 got interviews...
So they take an avg of section1 and 2 when they look at your application, just worried that section 1 let me down :/ Think my essay wasn't too bad. Do ppl know hwo muhc they go through your essay before interview?
Original post by MarkLane_9
So they take an avg of section1 and 2 when they look at your application, just worried that section 1 let me down :/ Think my essay wasn't too bad. Do ppl know hwo muhc they go through your essay before interview?

The essay is a basis for your interview.
Original post by Mac117
It’s not a given, but in 2016 out of 180 people who scored 2A in the essay only 6 got interviews...

What if you have good GCSE grades and a mediocre S1 and S2 but you fail the essay with like a 2A? Would you have a chance? Surely they wouldn't reject you if you had a really good application but just flopped in one part of a test... right?
Reply 54
What if you have good GCSE grades and a mediocre S1 and S2 but you fail the essay with like a 2A? Would you have a chance? Surely they wouldn't reject you if you had a really good application but just flopped in one part of a test... right?

That's what I'm worried about too, the more I think about my essay the more worried I get about getting less than 3/2.5 ffs.
Original post by mosam00
That's what I'm worried about too, the more I think about my essay the more worried I get about getting less than 3/2.5 ffs.

Hopefully they won't care too much. I doubt if you get like 5s in S1 and S2 and like 10A* they will reject just for a bad essay. But you never know... tbf my essay wasn't very good I answered the 3rd question about the age if as a disease and I didn't really understand so I just said some bs.
Reply 56
Hopefully they won't care too much. I doubt if you get like 5s in S1 and S2 and like 10A* they will reject just for a bad essay. But you never know... tbf my essay wasn't very good I answered the 3rd question about the age if as a disease and I didn't really understand so I just said some bs.

I answered the 3rd question too and am worried I completely misinterpreted it and didn't explain any of my points well at all. Also, I think I could get 5s in section 1 purely because of low grade boundaries, but I'm worried I'll slip into 4s in section 2 :/ so I really can't afford anything less than 3 in the essay ffs. I answered all parts of the question and apparently that's what you need to do for a 3 but I'm honestly not sure :/.

I mean I can only speculate, as I have nothing to do with admissions :/ You Can look at the FOI requests from 2016 and 2015 and see for yourself. Don’t want to spread false information!
Original post by Siddharthk
How are my chances looking?:

International
Undergrad Medicine/Non-deffered
Igcse's: 7 a* 2a
IB Predicted: 44/45
BMAT: Wrote it today
Work experience: 3 weeks shadowing each at 3 different multi specialty hospitals, 2 weeks pharmacy and A&E, Orphanage, Hospice, Part of VT-SEVA(NGO) For 4 years
Extracurriculus:
State basketball, basketball captain, prefect, american football nationals, piano, travelling, olympiads (won state and national awards), IB Extende essay on spine curvature, pretty good PS.

Didn't you already take the BMAT in Sep and get like a high score? Why are you worried then? And why bother to write the BMAT again? Major LOL.
Original post by AspiringSword
Didn't you already take the BMAT in Sep and get like a high score? Why are you worried then? And why bother to write the BMAT again? Major LOL.

i thought you can't take the bmat twice???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending