The Student Room Group

How useful would a History A level be if I want to do computer science or mathematics

I am in year 11 and was told to choose my A levels by the end of this month. I already have started my maths a level and will finish it in year 12 and will do further maths in year 13.

I also am going to do computer science and physics because I feel like those two would be helpful for computer science and physics would be helpful for the career I want to pursure which is game development.

I only can't decide the last subject because I want to do history but my parents aren't really keen on me doing it and would rather have me do chemistry which I am not too good at(I am getting a good predicted GCSE grade but I put more effort than most people which I won't be able to for A level). I am not doing history GCSE but I was quite good at it when I used to do it and found it to be an easier and more enjoyable version of english and think I would really enjoy doing it for A level. I just really need something to convinve my parents and would like to find what other people say about history A level.
Reply 1
Original post by lorddemaxus
I am in year 11 and was told to choose my A levels by the end of this month. I already have started my maths a level and will finish it in year 12 and will do further maths in year 13.

I also am going to do computer science and physics because I feel like those two would be helpful for computer science and physics would be helpful for the career I want to pursure which is game development.

I only can't decide the last subject because I want to do history but my parents aren't really keen on me doing it and would rather have me do chemistry which I am not too good at(I am getting a good predicted GCSE grade but I put more effort than most people which I won't be able to for A level). I am not doing history GCSE but I was quite good at it when I used to do it and found it to be an easier and more enjoyable version of english and think I would really enjoy doing it for A level. I just really need something to convinve my parents and would like to find what other people say about history A level.

I honestly dont think you will enjoy history at A level it can get really boring as compared to earlier on. Do you like any other subjects? Also, you could always try either one for a few weeks then switch out. Chemistry would look better for a mathematics degree but why not just do three A-levels?(Physics Maths F. Maths)
Reply 2
Original post by bruh2132
I honestly dont think you will enjoy history at A level it can get really boring as compared to earlier on. Do you like any other subjects? Also, you could always try either one for a few weeks then switch out. Chemistry would look better for a mathematics degree but why not just do three A-levels?(Physics Maths F. Maths)

I also have an interest in philosophy, psychology and economics but philosophy isn't taught in my school, the psychology A level teacher isn't very good and I don't know much about economics. I also want to do English Literature but I am horrible at poetry. I want to do history so that I could get similar analytical skills that I would learn from English Literature without doing stuff I don't mostly understand like poetry.
To be honest, history is really boring to me. I would reccomend doing Philosophy and Ethics, as it is just more interesting, and towards exam time... history can feel like a particular handful, therefore thats the advice I can give but its completely up to you, if you like history go for it! because at the end of the day, my version of boring might be ENTIRELY different to yours.. :smile:

I'm in year 12 and taking history/maths/fm/physics with the aspiration to read maths at uni. If you're not good at chemistry, then there's no point in taking it. I'd recommend looking over the history specification that you'll be sitting, maybe a few past papers, so you have a better grasp of what the course entails. You don't really need to convince your parents, you're the one who's making the application. You're quite similar to myself in that I had/have an interest in philosophy, but my school didn't offer it, or RS. If you're planning on doing a maths/philosophy degree perhaps, then it may help for university entry, otherwise it wouldn't really.
(edited 6 years ago)
i would say that History is just as valid as Chemistry for your goal of computer games. Many games have historical themes.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by _gcx
I'm in year 12 and taking history/maths/fm/physics with the aspiration to read maths at uni. If you're not good at chemistry, then there's no point in taking it. I'd recommend looking over the history specification that you'll be sitting, maybe a few past papers, so you have a better grasp of what the course entails. You don't really need to convince your parents, you're the one who's making the application. You're quite similar to myself in that I had/have an interest in philosophy, but my school didn't offer it, or RS. If you're planning on doing a maths/philosophy degree perhaps, then it may help for university entry, otherwise it wouldn't really.

The problem is my parents need to sign my options form and they won't if I choose history. My mum doesn't really mind if I choose history but my Dad does and if he finds out that I chose history without his consent, he would get really angry and I might go back to my home country and study different subjects with a different curriculum there.

Also my plan is to get into Oxford for Computer Science + Philosophy.
Reply 7
Original post by Hadiqa6525
To be honest, history is really boring to me. I would reccomend doing Philosophy and Ethics, as it is just more interesting, and towards exam time... history can feel like a particular handful, therefore thats the advice I can give but its completely up to you, if you like history go for it! because at the end of the day, my version of boring might be ENTIRELY different to yours.. :smile:

My school offers neither. Philosophy would have definiently been a choice of mine if it was offered but I feel like History would be a good alternative.
Hi there,
I'm currently in year 13 and applying for Philosophy.
History is probably the best A-Level for a competitive application for Philosophy as the essay-writing technique taught in History is commonly regarded as the most advanced at A-Level. Oxford, especially place a great emphasis on the quality of the skills learned at History A-Level. For the course you're applying to, I highly recommend choosing History in conjunction with your other subjects as universities appreciate candidates who show a wide-range of skills in their A-Level selection. This is especially true for your course, where a Science/Humanity mix would be the best way forward.

You definitely shouldn't choose Chemistry. That's an incredibly demanding subject at A-Level and if you're not confident in your abilities, then you ought to stay away. You should also be wary though. History is so well-regarded because it is a challenging A-Level. It's a huge step-up from GCSE, never mind Year 9. So you should only choose it if you are confident in your skills.
Hope I could be of help.
Reply 9
Original post by Dreamcast
Hi there,
I'm currently in year 13 and applying for Philosophy.
History is probably the best A-Level for a competitive application for Philosophy as the essay-writing technique taught in History is commonly regarded as the most advanced at A-Level. Oxford, especially place a great emphasis on the quality of the skills learned at History A-Level. For the course you're applying to, I highly recommend choosing History in conjunction with your other subjects as universities appreciate candidates who show a wide-range of skills in their A-Level selection. This is especially true for your course, where a Science/Humanity mix would be the best way forward.

You definitely shouldn't choose Chemistry. That's an incredibly demanding subject at A-Level and if you're not confident in your abilities, then you ought to stay away. You should also be wary though. History is so well-regarded because it is a challenging A-Level. It's a huge step-up from GCSE, never mind Year 9. So you should only choose it if you are confident in your skills.
Hope I could be of help.

Thank you for helping me decide. I also want to know if I would find history hard if I did not do history GCSE (one of my most regretful decisions). The History A level teacher said that I would only need to go through some reading material during my summer holidays and I would be fine. Is that actually enough for me to catch up?
Reply 10
I also have an interest in philosophy, psychology and economics but philosophy isn't taught in my school, the psychology A level teacher isn't very good and I don't know much about economics. I also want to do English Literature but I am horrible at poetry. I want to do history so that I could get similar analytical skills that I would learn from English Literature without doing stuff I don't mostly understand like poetry.

I would maybe choose economics as that opens up your options plus tbh after a week or two if you don't like it then you can change it (I changed history for chemistry in the third week oh a hunch and I love chemistry now (gonna do it at uni)).
I am currently taking English Literature - and honestly if you got a good grade in it I'd say go for it!
Thank you for helping me decide. I also want to know if I would find history hard if I did not do history GCSE (one of my most regretful decisions). The History A level teacher said that I would only need to go through some reading material during my summer holidays and I would be fine. Is that actually enough for me to catch up?

I would say that you should be fine. The topics covered in A-Level will be different from GCSE, so everyone, not just you, will have to learn the period from scratch. The difficult part about History A-Level is the essay technique, which is completely different to GCSE, so you won't be at a disadvantage there either.

As long as you like History (which it seems you do), put in the work, and are good at writing essays, you should be fine. You seem like an intelligent and conscientious young man(?), so you shouldn't worry about not doing the GCSE. Plus, if you do well in the A-Level, unis will be even more impressed!

Quick Reply

Latest