The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Hey guys, stop saying "hey guys"!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chazwomaq
If OP learns about masculine plurals in French and other languages, its head might explode.

haha
Original post by Faye__1996
I bet they laugh.

But not take offence, which rather destroys your argument. Anyway, offence is taken, not given. If I refer to a group you are in as 'guys' and you take offence it says more about you and your inability to understand what really matters than it does about me.

By the way, since you are so keen on accuracy in language, the correct British spelling is 'offence' not the American 'offense'.
Original post by Good bloke
But not take offence, which rather destroys your argument. Anyway, offence is taken, not given. If I refer to a group you are in as 'guys' and you take offence it says more about you and your inability to understand what really matters than it does about me.

By the way, since you are so keen on accuracy in language, the correct British spelling is 'offence' not the American 'offense'.

Did you just assume my nationality? I'm American.
The first definition on your first link is 'A guy is a man.'

Yes, but your eyes are able to allow you to read on, aren't they?
Original post by yudothis
People asking why it matters - the language we use influences how we think, how society thinks. Yes guys is generally accepted to mean a group of people. But why was it started to be used that way, why wasn't the female version taken as the universal one?

Why do you say niños in Spanish as soon as one of the kids is a boy? And not niñas? It's the same principle. It's not like you are personally hurt by saying "all" instead of "guys", so why laugh at this idea?

preach it!
You should use a more reputable dictionary. Guys, in both British and US usage is defined as an informal term for people of either sex.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/guy

http://chambers.co.uk/search/?query=guy&title=21st

Google doesn't have a dictionary; it just indexes the online OED's definitions. There are few dictionaries more reputable than that.

If you actually read what OP said, the definition provided was of "guy" singular.
Did you just assume my nationality? I'm American.

I did, since you are on British forum. I suggest you go and preach your nonsense in America where people may be more amenable to this nonsense.
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.

If you actually read what OP said, the definition provided was of "guy" singular.

Yet she complained of usage in the plural, so used the wrong definition.
Yes, but your eyes are able to allow you to read on, aren't they?

Yes, and I'm able to see that there are many more definitions as opposed to 'female' or 'girl' etc. The fact the male terms (e.g. guy) are more inclusive than female terms (e.g. girl) is discrimination. Do you think it's okay for 'guys' to be gender-neutral and 'girls' to not be?
Original post by yudothis
People asking why it matters - the language we use influences how we think, how society thinks. Yes guys is generally accepted to mean a group of people. But why was it started to be used that way, why wasn't the female version taken as the universal one?

Why do you say niños in Spanish as soon as one of the kids is a boy? And not niñas? It's the same principle. It's not like you are personally hurt by saying "all" instead of "guys", so why laugh at this idea?

Do you not think that the gender languages do that because of rampant sexism for centuries when the languages were formed? Or do you think that the societies are sexist because of that gender preference in their language?

I would hazard a guess at the former being more likely.

Please don't assume my gender. Thanks!
Hi EVERYONE (not just guys...)

Stop saying "hey guys"! Even if you mean it to be gender neutral, by definition "guy" = "a man" (Google dictionary).

Instead, please say "Hi all", "Hi everyone" etc, etc.

How would you feel if someone addressed a mix group (males / females / other) as "Hey girls"? Not so inclusive, I imagine. So please stop it!

Thanks.

Guy doesn't mean men in my opinion, it is gender neutral and not comparable to going "hey girls".

That completely misses the point. Obviously the OP accepts that hey guys is used for both sexes; that is the entire reason the OP is complaining.
Yes, and I'm able to see that there are many more definitions as opposed to 'female' or 'girl' etc. The fact the male terms (e.g. guy) are more inclusive than female terms (e.g. girl) is discrimination. Do you think it's okay for 'guys' to be gender-neutral and 'girls' to not be?

Rather than rail against English usage I suggest you go away and invent a knew language, perhaps you could call it SJWish, which you and your fellow travellers can use among yourselves.
Original post by Captain Jack
Guy doesn't mean men in my opinion, it is gender neutral and not comparable to going "hey girls".

This is a problem though. Why is it okay for 'guys' (where the singular noun of guy means an individual who identifies as a guy) to be gender neutral and 'girls' not to be (where the singular of girl means an individual who identifies as a girl)?
Rather than rail against English usage I suggest you go away and invent a knew Rather than rail against English usage I suggest you go away and invent a knew language, perhaps you could call it SJWish, which you and your fellow travellers can use among yourselves.

Maybe instead of me inventing a 'knew' language you should practice the one you're typing in. Thanks!
Hey guys...

DO WHATEVA DA FAWK YOU WANNA DO
Please don't assume my gender. Thanks!

I shall make whatever assumptions I want, justified or otherwise. It is my right.
Well, I say 'hey girls' when addressing a group of mixed genders and nobody has an issue. I suppose it just depends on how strong/weak a person's masculinity is, in order to say it. Who really cares if someone calls you a girl for a second? I mean it is a stupid greeting if you are so hurt over that then you need your priorities checking. I say 'hey guys' and 'hey girls' sometimes even 'hi girlies' - let's be honest what is the problem with it?
Maybe instead of me inventing a 'knew' language you should practice the one you're typing in. Thanks!

I suppose you have to get something right once in a while, even you. Why do you assume I typed it?

Latest

Trending

Trending