The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Hey guys, stop saying "hey guys"!

Scroll to see replies

Hey y'all.
Original post by Faye__1996
It's attitudes like yours that are dangerous. Say, 100 years ago, many of the things that society deems as offensive today were non-offensive, or people who were offended were silenced, similar to you indirectly calling me a snowflake. Open your eyes and don't be so saturated with the societal norms. Think for yourself and recognise that society is constantly adapting and changing and that there is still a lot of room for improvement. Just because you don't view something as offensive today doesn't mean it's not offensive for others. And if you consent and actively contribute to the offense of others, then, please try think more positively. Thanks :smile:

All you guys (:wink:) who demand this are getting terribly triggered, aren’t you? There’s no doubt in my mind that you’re a troll and so I will continue using the term “guys” which can indeniably function as a gender neutral/inclusive term in modern English :smile:
Original post by Good bloke
Am I?

I dunno, are you?
A little concerned that someone over 60 (over 40 years older than me) is so negative. Please remember all the good things about life. Smile and be happy! :biggrin:
It's attitudes like yours that are dangerous. Say, 100 years ago, many of the things that society deems as offensive today were non-offensive, or people who were offended were silenced, similar to you indirectly calling me a snowflake. Open your eyes and don't be so saturated with the societal norms. Think for yourself and recognise that society is constantly adapting and changing and that there is still a lot of room for improvement. Just because you don't view something as offensive today doesn't mean it's not offensive for others. And if you consent and actively contribute to the offense of others, then, please try think more positively. Thanks :smile:

You are essentially saying: What wasn't offensive now is. My view of society is best. I want society to be offended by things I am offended by and for people to stop saying things I don't like. People should ignore what society thinks.

Have you thought this through?
A little concerned that someone over 60 (over 40 years older than me) is so negative. Please remember all the good things about life. Smile and be happy! :biggrin:

hehe. You have now adopted someone else's assumption as your own. Can't you make your own?

Anyway, refusing to be bullied by a snowflake who seeks to control my thought, language and behaviour is not negative; it is a life-affirming piece of positivity.
Original post by GrapeCrocodile
Hey guys. Someone's speaking some sense here. Calls for reps

Aw thanks :smile:
Original post by Sabertooth
Hey y'all.

Hi guys.
Original post by Captain Jack
Guy doesn't mean men in my opinion, it is gender neutral

and yet
I am not offended by being asked to change. I am amused by it. As i said in a previous post, I shall henceforth try to change my use of 'Hey guys'.

See, you have had an effect.

Certain other people are, my apologies for generalizing to "people".
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
I do not agree it does perpetuate a sexist mentality. Just as using the word Thursday does not perpetuate deification of the Norse God Thor. At a certain point in time, the word becomes detached from its etymology from a user's perspective.

However, the perception of sexist victimhood is perpetuated by those who note the current usage against the etymology. That is, people who consciously or unconsciously wish to perceive themselves as subjugated.

I'm not a woman. And I dare say people who actually study these things will disagree with you. So when you say "I disagree...", it really means nothing.
hehe. You have now adopted someone else's assumption as your own. Can't you make your own?

Anyway, refusing to be bullied by a snowflake who seeks to control my thought, language and behaviour is not negative; it is a life-affirming piece of positivity.

So I was right about you after all.
Hi guys.

Hi there, oooh **** hope it's not disrespectful to say hi to an OAP?

Yeah but it’s different context really... I dunno, I like using it as it’s informal and been used by women to women in films and TV shows. I like changing the meaning of words. I think it’s empowering but then I’m not a woman.
I should also point out I call everyone hey girls too
Original post by yudothis
I'm not a woman. And I dare say people who actually study these things will disagree with you. So when you say "I disagree...", it really means nothing.

Where in my post did I say you were a woman?

And what is your argument? That you guess or suppose experts in this field would disagree with me. Your guessing carries a lot less weight than my saying "I do not agree". Also you are talking as if I simply said I disagreed, when I in fact provided premises and argument for my conclusion. But I await your referenced argument, as espoused by experts in this field, directly challenging my premises and conclusion. Good luck.
Yeah but it’s different context really... I dunno, I like using it as it’s informal and been used by women to women in films and TV shows. I like changing the meaning of words. I think it’s empowering but then I’m not a woman.

Is it a different context? - if that's the imagary that comes up associated with the word "guys" (and so the sort of associations people make when hearing the word) then are you happy that it's *really* gender neutral.
I should also point out I call everyone hey girls too

I quite like "hey lovelies" for people I like :biggrin:

Yes, there is a disappointing lack of camping equipment in that collection of images but that says more about Google's search algorithms than it does about the meaning of the word. Like many English words, 'guys' has multiple meanings (men, people, ropes, effigies). Some even have two meanings that are exact opposites of one another. I wonder what SJWs make of that?

Latest

Trending

Trending