The Student Room Group

Poll: In your opinion, how is the world as we know it going to end?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by SCIENCE :D
If other, explain your choice.

I think the earth is slowly winding up.
there are untold billions of life-bearing planets out there which have complex life forms. their most complex species will inevitably suffer from the same terminal problems as ours, namely the evolutionary reproductive promotion of antisocial traits such as greed and selfishness over beneficial traits of empathy and cooperation.
but a few planets will escape from this moral black hole and thrive in a paradise where the space lambs lie down with the space lions.
Original post by the bear
there are untold billions of life-bearing planets out there which have complex life forms. their most complex species will inevitably suffer from the same terminal problems as ours, namely the evolutionary reproductive promotion of antisocial traits such as greed and selfishness over beneficial traits of empathy and cooperation.
but a few planets will escape from this moral black hole and thrive in a paradise where the space lambs lie down with the space lions.

You are in a philosophical mood today.
Original post by Good bloke
You are in a philosophical mood today.

:bear: sees the bigger picture

:yep:

:emo:
Original post by the bear
:bear: sees the bigger picture

:yep:

:emo:

I always wonder why people use the phrase 'the world will end', or the 'world as we know it'. The world will continue to exist, as a continually-changing planet (as we know it to be) long after all humans have become extinct, and will get on just fine, with or without life, and certainly without humans.
Original post by iodo345
I try to explain this to people but they either oblivious to issues or think that everything will be normal in the next 30 years or so yet looking at current trends there is cause for concern.

I think a lot of people are brainwashed tbh and until problems effect their daily life they will remain oblivious.

I've heard some say we are living in the 1930's.

ie we are living in a period of mass unemployment, social problems (extremism etc) and there are parallels between now in history and 1930

Would you agree with this?
as most everyone knows, the world is ending on saturday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERoo4_xX478

didn't anyone tell you yet ?

best
Human life on earth is likely to end due to overpopulation.

The planet itself will survive all of those things and eventually become a lifeless rock, eventually consumed by the exploding star we call the sun.
Original post by mariachi
as most everyone knows, the world is ending on saturday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERoo4_xX478

didn't anyone tell you yet ?

best

Send me another message when it starts then.
Overpopulation and climate change won't end the world, it just makes other factors more likely. A supervolcanic eruption probably wouldn't be severe enough to actually kill off our species and regardless, there is no current indication of any particularly worrying activity in volcanoes capable of causing that kind of damage. Nuclear warfare is a serious threat (more through accidental escalation rather than actual war) but I think pandemic is probably the most likely, and indeed that appears to be the general consensus when you look at the research being done on global catastrophic risk. The interconnectivity of the modern world combined with antibiotic resistance means that we are very vulnerable indeed to pandemic.
Original post by Racoon
I think the earth is slowly winding up.

Elaborate?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending