The Student Room Group

Professional Reference Letter for Unemployment period?

Since finishing uni in June i have been unemployed but in October I got graduate job hopefully starting in April 2018.

They are now doing the background checks and they will require a professional reference letter for unemployment from June to April 2018 (provided i do not undertake any employment in this time frame)

I want to know where/who from can i get this letter?

Kind Regards.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would presume it would be from a professional who knows you but is not related to you?

So maybe a former tutor/someone that you've worked with in the past.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jb9390
I would presume it would be from someone a professional who knows you but is not related to you?

So maybe a former tutor/someone that you've worked with in the past.

That's what I thought too, but how would a former university lecturer be able to say that I was unemployed between X period?
Last time I met uni tutor was in April.
Also I have no previous work experience so don't have a professional contact.
Reply 3
Original post by e^x
That's what I thought too, but how would a former university lecturer be able to say that I was unemployed between X period?
Last time I met uni tutor was in April.
Also I have no previous work experience so don't have a professional contact.

I guess you could use a friend of the family who is a professional? do your parents know any teachers/lawyers/accountants?

They just want someone to vouch for the fact that you were unemployed and are not trying to cover up a dodgy past.
Reply 4
Original post by e^x
Since finishing uni in June i have been unemployed but in October I got graduate job hopefully starting in April 2018.

They are now doing the background checks and they will require a professional reference letter for unemployment from June to April 2018 (provided i do not undertake any employment in this time frame)

I want to know where/who from can i get this letter?

Kind Regards.

Are you sure you've got that right? A potential employer wouldn't normally require a reference for a period of *unemployment*. But have you signed on for JSA?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
Are you sure you've got that right? A potential employer wouldn't normally require a reference for a period of *unemployment*. But have you signed on for JSA?

Yes, they need to verify gaps in unemployment that are longer than 3 months. Not on JSA.

Original post by jb9390
I guess you could use a friend of the family who is a professional? do your parents know any teachers/lawyers/accountants?

They just want someone to vouch for the fact that you were unemployed and are not trying to cover up a dodgy past.

My parents don't know any lawyers or teachers etc. They emailed me back saying that i can get a letter from a doctor/accountant/lawyer.

But i still dont get how I'm just supposed to go to my GP for example and ask them to write a letter saying that i was unemployed from X period when my GP doesn't even know if i was actually unemployed.
Reply 6
Original post by e^x
Yes, they need to verify gaps in unemployment that are longer than 3 months. Not on JSA.

My parents don't know any lawyers or teachers etc. They emailed me back saying that i can get a letter from a doctor/accountant/lawyer.

But i still dont get how I'm just supposed to go to my GP for example and ask them to write a letter saying that i was unemployed from X period when my GP doesn't even know if i was actually unemployed.

What sort of employer is this? I don't know how an outsider can "verify" a negative... or even why it matters.
Reply 7
Original post by e^x

Well the ideal scenario would have been that your parents know a doctor/GP who could then vouch for the fact that you're unemployed. If you're someone who goes to your GP regularly or have been in the last couple of months, then you might be able to use them, if they are aware that you've been unemployed.

Considering that you graduated in June/July, It seems a bit strange that they want this reference since lots of graduates won't immediately jump into a job.
This sounds bizarre. How can someone know in advance that you won't get a part-time job sometime in the next 5 months? What if you want to get a Royal Mail job over Christmas? To cover past gaps in your work history, sure - but for future gaps? It makes no sense. Care to say which company this is?
Reply 9
Original post by Duncan2012
This sounds bizarre. How can someone know in advance that you won't get a part-time job sometime in the next 5 months? What if you want to get a Royal Mail job over Christmas? To cover past gaps in your work history, sure - but for future gaps? It makes no sense. Care to say which company this is?

Or why it would matter.

GCHQ perhaps....... :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What sort of employer is this? I don't know how an outsider can "verify" a negative... or even why it matters.

It could be a third party agency conducting the background check on the employer's behalf. I know some use systems that require you to provide an account for what you have done in the last X years, and will require a reference for each item you put in (e.g. employed from month-month, in education from month-month, unemployed from month-month, etc.).
Reply 11
Original post by Smack
It could be a third party agency conducting the background check on the employer's behalf. I know some use systems that require you to provide an account for what you have done in the last X years, and will require a reference for each item you put in (e.g. employed from month-month, in education from month-month, unemployed from month-month, etc.).

So how can you get a reference to say you are not unemployed (which is different to unemployed). And, as mentioned, you won't be employed in the interim before starting the new position in a number of months time (which sounds like an unfair employment contract).

Seems weird, especially for a graduate position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Top 10 accounting firm
Reply 13
Original post by e^x
Top 10 accounting firm

Why does a "top 10 accounting firm" want you to remain unemployed between now and April 2018? Are they paying you already? I doubt it...

Original post by J-SP
The professional reference can be anyone really who isn’t related to you. A family friend who is in any type of profession (emergency services, teacher, accountant), or even someone who runs their own business and is a director of their company should be sufficient.

Just wondering would this restraint also be standard for a law firm? Seems weird, especially for a fresh grad.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14

So how can you get a reference to say you are not unemployed (which is different to unemployed). And, as mentioned, you won't be employed in the interim before starting the new position in a number of months time (which sounds like an unfair employment contract).

Seems weird, especially for a graduate position.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mentioned in my original post that i will require a professional reference letter for unemployment from June to April 2018 (provided i do not undertake any employment in this time frame.

So i can undertake employment from now to April 2018 or any period in between and this would rule out the need for a reference letter for unemployment so thats what I' am trying to do; find something part time.

But if i stay unemployed from now to April 2018 then i will need to submit a reference letter somewhere in March 2018.
Reply 15
Original post by e^x
I mentioned in my original post that i will require a professional reference letter for unemployment from June to April 2018 (provided i do not undertake any employment in this time frame.

So i can undertake employment from now to April 2018 or any period in between and this would rule out the need for a reference letter for unemployment so thats what I' am trying to do; find something part time.

But if i stay unemployed from now to April 2018 then i will need to submit a reference letter somewhere in March 2018.

Hold on, so this letter isn't needed now... it's needed just before you actually start your employment in April 2018. That's quite different.
Reply 16
Hold on, so this letter isn't needed now... it's needed just before you actually start your employment in April 2018. That's quite different.

Yes. To avoid this i'm trying to find a part time job and then they can just verify with my part time employers that i was employed for x period.
Reply 17
Original post by J-SP
Not my experience of accountancy or law. But I kind of understand it - in a world where people are told to take employment off their CV if they have been in it for a short period of time and especially if there are any performance/disciplinary issues, I can see why employers try to check people were actually unemployed rather than a bigger “negative” of being rubbish at your job.

See the OP's follow-up reply - the letter isn't need until March...
Reply 18
Original post by e^x
Yes. To avoid this i'm trying to find a part time job and then they can just verify with my part time employers that i was employed for x period.

So you have the answer/option(s) you need. Yes?

Your OP didn't make this situation clear at all.
Reply 19
So you have the answer/option(s) you need. Yes?

Your OP didn't make this situation clear at all.

Yes.
Maybe but i think it was clear to the person that replied first. Thats exactly how it was put to me in the email i received.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending