The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Hey guys, stop saying "hey guys"!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Faye__1996
This is a problem though. Why is it okay for 'guys' (where the singular noun of guy means an individual who identifies as a guy) to be gender neutral and 'girls' not to be (where the singular of girl means an individual who identifies as a girl)?

Personally I do think it can be and I do call my male friends girls.

My take on it is that ‘guys’ as a word used in a greeting is no longer the same word as used to describe guys in general. This is due to its regular use in popular culture.

It’s like gay changing to be used to describe sexuality when its original meaning was happy.

Interesting discussion though, that’s just my take on why it is used. I don’t think people think of “hey guys” as anything more than a more fun way of saying “hey everyone” which let’s face it, is a pretty boring and formal greeting.
Original post by PQ
I quite like "hey lovelies" for people I like :biggrin:

Ha yes I use that too along all sorts of other things. You know, mix it up :biggrin:
I didn't know this was considered a triggering, gendered term.

Think I'll start giving it a more prominent place in my greetings repertoire.
Original post by Good bloke
Yes, there is a disappointing lack of camping equipment in that collection of images but that says more about Google's search algorithms than it does about the meaning of the word. Like many English words, 'guys' has multiple meanings (men, people, ropes, effigies). Some even have two meanings that are exact opposites of one another. I wonder what SJWs make of that?

I'd never use "guys" to refer to multiple guy lines - that's probably why it's not showing any tents. And effigies is again more associated with the singular "guy" (which is why I didn't search for that - plus it might reveal how often I search for guy pearce :flute: ) - the plural is overwhelmingly used for men not people

people looks very different
Original post by Captain Jack
Personally I do think it can be and I do call my male friends girls.

My take on it is that ‘guys’ as a word used in a greeting is no longer the same word as used to describe guys in general. This is due to its regular use in popular culture.

It’s like gay changing to be used to describe sexuality when its original meaning was happy.

Interesting discussion though, that’s just my take on why it is used. I don’t think people think of “hey guys” as anything more than a more fun way of saying “hey everyone” which let’s face it, is a pretty boring and formal greeting.

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PQ
Is it a different context? - if that's the imagary that comes up associated with the word "guys" (and so the sort of associations people make when hearing the word) then are you happy that it's *really* gender neutral.

I am yes. To me it’s a greeting used in laddy situations that has been neutralised overtime so to suddenly stop using it would be to undo all that good work. That’s my take but definitely will to concede I could be wrong as perhaps my thinking is ahead of what’s really happened.
Original post by PQ
I'd never use "guys" to refer to multiple guy lines - that's probably why it's not showing any tents. And effigies is again more associated with the singular "guy" (which is why I didn't search for that - plus it might reveal how often I search for guy pearce :flute: ) - the plural is overwhelmingly used for men not people

people looks very different

But the problem with your Google Image Search is that it naturally is using the singular sense "man" as a plural, rather than directly pertaining to the greeting. This is for obvious reasons; it is very difficult to find the images of the vocative objects of a stock phrase greeting. Why would the guys in the sense hey guys be found by the search guys without the hey?
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
But the problem with your Google Image Search is that it naturally is using the singular sense "man" as a plural, rather than directly pertaining to the greeting. This is for obvious reasons; it is very difficult to find the images of the vocative objects of a stock phrase greeting. Why would the guys in the sense hey guys be found by the search guys without the hey?

I'm pretty sure it's not the "hey" that's the problem here :yes:

When I googled guys I got a few naked ladies, interestingly.
Original post by PQ
I'm pretty sure it's not the "hey" that's the problem here :yes:

Ahh, what are you like xD

But yeah, your Google Search thing is illogical.
Reply 92
Hey helicopters

Ahh, what are you like xD

But yeah, your Google Search thing is illogical.

no problem sweetpeas :biggrin:

Probably says more about your debauched search history than anything else.
Original post by PQ
no problem sweetpeas :biggrin:

If you google image search that you get sweetpea from the Podington Peas.
(edited 6 years ago)
Probably says more about your debauched search history than anything else.

Now that is interesting! When I google 'debauched guys' there are loads of women.
Original post by the beer
If you google image search that you get sweetpea from the Podington Peas, a girl!

I get lots of lovely flowers - although if I put in a space I also get
Where in my post did I say you were a woman?

And what is your argument? That you guess or suppose experts in this field would disagree with me. Your guessing carries a lot less weight than my saying "I do not agree". Also you are talking as if I simply said I disagreed, when I in fact provided premises and argument for my conclusion. But I await your referenced argument, as espoused by experts in this field, directly challenging my premises and conclusion. Good luck.

Why would anyone but a woman in this case want to victimize themselves.

I don't really guess. Not sure why you put that in italics when I didn't even use that word. I have researched this topic and you clearly haven't. I suggest you spend just 15 minutes on it.

No, your premises are all just assumptions. Your entire argument is based on assumptions. It means nothing. Quite funny though that you think it does.

Assumption 1: People actively look to victimize themselves.

Assumption 2: Everyone that argues along these lines discussed in the thread falls into the group introduced in 1.

Assumption 3: This group makes up things to say "such and such language is bad/wrong/oppressive,etc" in order to show they are victims.

This is all your "argument" is. Just a bunch of assumptions. Not that it is really my job to ensure you aren't ignorant, but here is an article with some references about gendered language

https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/how-gendered-language-affects-perceptions-0209137/amp/
(edited 6 years ago)
Now that is interesting! When I google 'debauched guys' there are loads of women.

And for the sake of sheer academic curiosity, what are they doing in those pictures?

Latest

Trending

Trending