The Student Room Group

GyG comp - read to succeed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous work
yh, thanks a lot sarah, don't worry, just keep in contact and we can always talk about work life and stressful stuff, and i have confidence that as long as your revising, which is evident through your grades, that you will beat those nerds and get your goal. although we have never really mentioned to each other life ambitions and stuff, so when you get a spare minute, i'm happy to listen,

Aw that's so sweet.
Thanks
Hi! It's really good that you've got your head set right now, I am a current Y12 and didn't start revising until weeks before the exams. However my results are kinda testament to the fact that in GCSE you can get away with mass cramming! It's much better to actually understand.
Hi all,
Post 5. in todays post, i just wanna help you guys out there, and not talk about myself all the time.
so if any of you guys are struggling with revision, i wanna outline some stuff thats gonna help.
First, semantically process info, add meaning to it by extracting useful info from a chunk of text and turn this into diagrams or pics, trust me this really helps, i learn this in my psychology lesson, so it does work.
Secondly, if you have come home from school, college, or uni, after a long day your probs tired. before touching a book, take a power nap for like half an hour to an hour max, trust me this actually works and is great, because if your tired, simply put, your brain is not going to process any info. your effort and quality of work will be much higher, i bet my life on it.
Thirdly, whats the use in learning the content, but not applying it. use past papers guys, this stuff is bloody awesome as it gives you a first hand experience of what your exam is going to be like, once you have practiced the hell out of these things your gonna trash every cocky kid in your class, trust me. i'm gonna leave a link down below to a very useful past papers website (AQA) - its beautiful, you just gotta do it.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/exams-guidance/find-past-papers-and-mark-schemes
copy this link into google, guys.
Fourth tip - be inspired by something or just always keep your goal in mind, trust me it doesn't matter if you're einstein's offspring, if you dont believe in yourself, you wont do great.
i'm gonna leave a link to a motivational video on youtube, and check out this guys other videos - they're great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R090e4ywkAw
Last point - don't go psycho, been there done it, not fun. don't turn into some psycho, mental kid who lives off revising. you need some down time. watch netflix or go on youtube and watch some funny youtuber's - i would recommend joe santagato, this dude's funny as hell. remember, you need time to enjoy life at the same time.
they are my 5 golden rules, your welcome.
And as always,
Thanks
Hey bro,
thanks a lot for replying to my post, its great and thanks a lot. yh i agree with you, as long as your comfortable with what your doing and how your revising, just keep revising how you want to. Again, thanks for replying to my post and as you said your a y12, good luck if you have any exams, i hope you do good, and get the grades you want. i'm quite new to TSR, so if you want, just read my other posts if its not a big ask,
Thanks
Original post by Sarahk12
Aw that's so sweet.
Thanks

yh dont worry about it sarah, again sorry for the late reply, had to go out
Hi all,
just finished psychology revision. before i go on to talk to you about sacrifices, i know some of you may disagree, and this is not intended to cause disagreement, and i'm not telling you guys that you have to listen to me.
Being anonymous on here makes it much better i guess. what i mean by sacrifices is that to get where you want in life, your gonna have to make sacrifices. some sacrifices i have made to get what i want includes the following. i don't have any form of social media (although you can argue that this is,) don't have a phone, never been out with friends (although i was practically forced to once,) and i guess don't really have friends. at school, in my breaks and lunches, i don't hang out really, i just do work. i mean this sounds sad, but i don't really like going out with people, i mean when i'm in like college or uni, i probably will. but the reason i mention this is cos i know that like if i have a phone, i will get distracted and told my parents that i don't want one yet. my point is that i am making my own sacrifices to get what i want, and like i said, some of you may disagree and thats okay, its just that i know i will get distracted by these things.
please reply and follow, i am more than happy to answer any questions, or jus start a conversation with you guys,
And as always,
Thanks
it is commendable that you have chosen to forgo so many of the distractions which afflict our young folk.
Original post by the bear
it is commendable that you have chosen to forgo so many of the distractions which afflict our young folk.

Hey mate,
thanks so much for replying, thats great. honestly, i got a little worried at first when submitting that, i thought i might cause lots of disagreement at first. yh thanks again, if i get time i could check out a couple of your posts, and thanks once again. dont hesitate to follow or read my posts:smile:
yh dont worry about it sarah, again sorry for the late reply, had to go out

No worries
No worries

yh remember if you have like any questions or need help dont hesitate to give me a hit mate
Hi @Anonymous work!

I'm loving your blog! Just to let you know I've put all your posts in one thread, so it is easier to read. If you want to update it, come into this thread and leave a comment here. That way we can all follow your journey easily! Keep up the great work! :h:
Hi sir,
sorry about that and thanks a lot i've been posting quite regularly,
thanks once again
Hi all,
Third post. Hard work is great, but its not this which makes you succeed, its belief. its believing that your gonna get what you want, even before you have it, you can actually feel as though its right there in front of you.
A lot of the time, most of you will be so pumped up and ready to take on a challenge, but other days, you won't even bother with any of it. Like i said in my previous post, its not about motivation. its when you face adversity, and tough times fall on you, you still keep going and going and going. persevering even through the worst of it all, remembering what your goal is, and making sure that you will not quit. adversity can be different for all of us. it could be a serious problem at home, or the stress of school work, or it could be that when others start to notice your succeeding, they get jealous and try to say things that will intentionally bring you right down to the bottom. But you've gotta remember to keep going, and think differently to everyone else. if you really want something, your gonna have to be wired differently to everyone else - your gonna need a different mindset in order to reach your goal. remember greatness wasn't slapped on a plate for a selection of naturally talented individuals, they worked for it. its not something that only a few of us can choose - we all have it somewhere inside us, but until we find it and grab it with both hands, only then will we find success.
And as always,
thanks

That's so true. I think the main thing is to not care about what others think and do what u know is right and will get you somewhere.
Loving your gyg thread! :biggrin:
Hi all,
Post 5. in todays post, i just wanna help you guys out there, and not talk about myself all the time.
so if any of you guys are struggling with revision, i wanna outline some stuff thats gonna help.
First, semantically process info, add meaning to it by extracting useful info from a chunk of text and turn this into diagrams or pics, trust me this really helps, i learn this in my psychology lesson, so it does work.
Secondly, if you have come home from school, college, or uni, after a long day your probs tired. before touching a book, take a power nap for like half an hour to an hour max, trust me this actually works and is great, because if your tired, simply put, your brain is not going to process any info. your effort and quality of work will be much higher, i bet my life on it.
Thirdly, whats the use in learning the content, but not applying it. use past papers guys, this stuff is bloody awesome as it gives you a first hand experience of what your exam is going to be like, once you have practiced the hell out of these things your gonna trash every cocky kid in your class, trust me. i'm gonna leave a link down below to a very useful past papers website (AQA) - its beautiful, you just gotta do it.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/exams-guidance/find-past-papers-and-mark-schemes
copy this link into google, guys.
Fourth tip - be inspired by something or just always keep your goal in mind, trust me it doesn't matter if you're einstein's offspring, if you dont believe in yourself, you wont do great.
i'm gonna leave a link to a motivational video on youtube, and check out this guys other videos - they're great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R090e4ywkAw
Last point - don't go psycho, been there done it, not fun. don't turn into some psycho, mental kid who lives off revising. you need some down time. watch netflix or go on youtube and watch some funny youtuber's - i would recommend joe santagato, this dude's funny as hell. remember, you need time to enjoy life at the same time.
they are my 5 golden rules, your welcome.
And as always,
Thanks

Yes past papers!
When I did my GCSEs, just a few months ago, literally before EVERY science exam I would flick through every past paper I could get my hands on. This AQA exam board really do repeat themselves. And, I think this years yr11s are learning new content but trust me, some topics are still the same so there's no harm in looking through to see the type of answers the examiners are looking for.
We did loads of past papers for maths too.. Literally only past papers in the last sort of 4 weeks and topics we were stuck on would become lessons we need to quickly cover.. And guys, I was predicted a C/D but at the end of it I got an A*... Hard work will show.. Especially for maths. It's a subject of understanding and PRACTICE PRACTICE AND PRACTICE!!!
And yes, tip 5 is great. Before every revision after school.. I would start off with watching a good maybe 15 minutes of YouTube to get me going.. And it really does help..
And along with that, they're are soooo many amazing YouTube videos out there for GCSE students. If you want some names of ones I used, just send a message and illl try my best to help😊
Hi all,
post 4. i've noticed that some of you liked the inspirational posts that i did, and i have reassured you guys that i can keep doing normal posts as well as inspirational one's. i'm starting to get into this whole thing and i find it rather exciting talking to you guys about life and school work in general.
Not much going on guys, i mean i'm probably gonna do a bit of psychology revision after this, i have a test when i go back to school. as i mentioned before, im getting mock exam results and i will post when i get them.
I want to tell you guys something that my secondary school does every year. basically, every year they do something called an awards assembly where they only hand out certificates to students who have excelled in subject areas. they only do one real award called top boy and top girl which is like this real nice plaque type thing that has their names written on it. i mean i have always got certificates for stuff like psychology. but i have never got the top award which is a real bummer cos i like to think that i work hard. i mean they have given it to students who don't even revise too much, and brag sometimes. meanwhile, there is me who has never got the award and i never brag, but they always give the top awards to the same students, which is a shame, but i'm in my last year now, and i haven't thought much to it. i mean all i want now is to get my results and move on with life and everything. the reason i mention this is because every november, the school hands out GCSE certificates to the old year 11's. and when they do this (its called presentation evening,) they also give a headteachers award for excellence, and its the same kids who get it every year. this kid, always gets favoured, and school don't seem to realise the hard work that happens behind the curtains, which is a real shame. i have never got the headteachers award for excellence as you have probably gathered by now, i mean i have got it for english. but i don't really care too much for this now, as im prepared to get the highest possible grades in my year group, and illustrate to the entire school, what some quiet students do behind closed doors,
And as always,
Thanks

Lol trust me I know what you mean... But trust me, if you get amazing grades, your teachers will love you to bits. I had teachers who didn't really hsve anything to do with me.. But after getting A*s in their subject, every time they see me, theyre smiling and starting a chat off.
And about the awards... We had an amazing organised leavers assembly where loads of awards were given out. Some were quite odd and funny like, 'the best couple award' and 'best uniform or best smile' but I got one too. And eventhough I didn't expect it, it was for being the 'Most improved student'.. At first I was looking at it like, the teachers may have made a mistake but it wasn't until i got my results and compared them to my targets/ predications that i truly felt like I desearved it. Just work hard and I'm sure it'll be reflected in your grades.. And even if you don't get an award, u should know yourself you've tried hard.. And in the future when you have an amazing independent life, you won't regret anything 😊
Yes past papers!
When I did my GCSEs, just a few months ago, literally before EVERY science exam I would flick through every past paper I could get my hands on. This AQA exam board really do repeat themselves. And, I think this years yr11s are learning new content but trust me, some topics are still the same so there's no harm in looking through to see the type of answers the examiners are looking for.
We did loads of past papers for maths too.. Literally only past papers in the last sort of 4 weeks and topics we were stuck on would become lessons we need to quickly cover.. And guys, I was predicted a C/D but at the end of it I got an A*... Hard work will show.. Especially for maths. It's a subject of understanding and PRACTICE PRACTICE AND PRACTICE!!!
And yes, tip 5 is great. Before every revision after school.. I would start off with watching a good maybe 15 minutes of YouTube to get me going.. And it really does help..
And along with that, they're are soooo many amazing YouTube videos out there for GCSE students. If you want some names of ones I used, just send a message and illl try my best to help😊

Your definitely right! Im not in yr 11 yet but i am in year 10 and from every yr 11 i know they say past papers are a God send! I even asked my chemistry teacher and she said that the content hasnt changed that much anyway! Congrats on your A* in science! You proved your teachers wrong and i like itt! You go girl your determination will take you places!:biggrin:
Original post by A.N123
Your definitely right! Im not in yr 11 yet but i am in year 10 and from every yr 11 i know they say past papers are a God send! I even asked my chemistry teacher and she said that the content hasnt changed that much anyway! Congrats on your A* in science! You proved your teachers wrong and i like itt! You go girl your determination will take you places!:biggrin:

Lol thanks 😂
Yh, I mean there's other helpful things out there but past papers are basically what the examiners want from u and it good practice. There's no point in knowing all the content when u can't even apply it to a question.. Because examiners just don't seem to like giving questions in the simplest way.. They have to complicate it all the time!
Lol like instead of saying, what's 1+3, they're like, if Tom has 1 this and then he does this and get this and his sister has this and uncle has this, how much does he have?
Yh thanks sarah , ur definitely right as past papers are vital
Original post by A.N123
Loving your gyg thread! :biggrin:

Hey, thanks a lot mate:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending