The Student Room Group

Law at university with AAB predictions??

I'm currently predicted AAB in Chemistry, Politics and Biology and I'm applying to study law at uni. All the universities I want to apply to require AAA, I do have mitigating circumstances for things that happened last year but idk if unis will care :frown:((. Are there any good unis for law that will accept AAB?
Also I have a strong personal statement (masterclasses, work experience, DofE etc)
They will definitely consider any extenuating circumstances. Ask your teacher to put it in your reference, or communicate it to the university in some form. If you have a good personal statement, you should be fine. :smile:
I'm predicted AAAC - I'm really disappointed with the C grade prediction in English. I'm applying for AAA/AAB courses. Will the C hinder my chances of receiving offers?
Original post by euphonious
I'm predicted AAAC - I'm really disappointed with the C grade prediction in English. I'm applying for AAA/AAB courses. Will the C hinder my chances of receiving offers?

Nah you'll be fine, youre still predicted 3 As. What you applying for?
Original post by AnALevelStudent
Nah you'll be fine, youre still predicted 3 As. What you applying for?

Law with Politics (LLB) at Lancaster, Cardiff and Leicester, and Law (LLB) at Birmingham and York.

You?
These young uns tend to think that they'd get in ahead of Bertrand Russell, as long as they have that trusty DofE Gold award. All it means is you had some free time.
This.

Don't think its just to do with poorer background though- I think if you have a good statement/ reference/ LNAT (or maybe all of it needs to be good, not too sure) etc they'll offer you AAB
Original post by euphonious
Law with Politics (LLB) at Lancaster, Cardiff and Leicester, and Law (LLB) at Birmingham and York.

You?

Law at Leicester, Aston, Birmingham, Keele and Cardiff :smile:
This all makes sense and I'm sure that they do offer lower offers to those from disadvantaged backgrounds.

The reason for my belief of them offering AAB offers if they exceptionally like one bit of an application is because me and one other person in my class were offered AAB offers. I do not have the best grades (although still good) with 7A* 4A at GCSE and AAA predicted. The other person, however, has straight A*s in everything. We both talked and we do not fit any of the criteria- we go to a good school (where academic achievement is quite high) and are from decent areas.

The other 2 people in my school who also applied Notts law (one with straight A* and one with similar grades to me) got AAA offers however. Unless it was a mistake, the only thing I can think of is as they liked the rest of application, excluding grades, so they offered us lower offers.

Regarding the OP, if AAB offers are being made, not just for contextual reasons, then it seems to me that if the other aspects of his application were good/excellent, he/she stands a chance.

I would definitely apply to at least two AAA universities. Many unis that ask for AAA accept students that get AAB anyway, so as long as you get these grades (or even AAA) you'll be perfectly fine.

Maybe try York, Manchester, Sheffield or Newcastle. you could even try Bristol and Nottingham too

As for the mitigating circumstances- YES universities do take it seriously, very seriously as do employers- so if you can get your form tutor to mention that in their reference, it will definitely be taken into account.

I might see you around :wink:
Original post by Lostrider
I would definitely apply to at least two AAA universities. Many unis that ask for AAA accept students that get AAB anyway, so as long as you get these grades (or even AAA) you'll be perfectly fine.

Maybe try York, Manchester, Sheffield or Newcastle. you could even try Bristol and Nottingham too

As for the mitigating circumstances- YES universities do take it seriously, very seriously as do employers- so if you can get your form tutor to mention that in their reference, it will definitely be taken into account.

Bristol is A*AA so I wouldn't recommend applying
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
Bristol is A*AA so I wouldn't recommend applying

They let people in with 3 Bs this year. As have manchester and other unis

Edit: Also if the OP is eligible for their reduced entry requirements they'll be fine too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edit: Also if the OP is eligible for their reduced entry requirements they'll be fine too

Posted from TSR Mobile

They upped their requirements for Law from AAA to A*AA this year so it'll be harder

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not applying to Bristol as I dont have LNAT but I'm considering Manchester

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending