The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Hey guys, stop saying "hey guys"!

Scroll to see replies

1. No one said those who use it are sexist.
2. No on is offended by it. Simply pointing out the effect of language, and easy ways of addressing it.

If you fail to see these two points, you're just showing you don't reslly understand the topic.

3. As I said before, why are you crying so much about something that doesn't harm you, what terrible thing is going to happen to you if you stop saying guys?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by yudothis

2. No on isn't offended by it. ...
If you fail to see these two points, you're just showing you don't reslly understand the topic.

Or, perhaps that, your message is confused. What does no one isn't offended mean?
1. No one said those who use it are sexist.
2. No on isn't offended by it. Simply pointing out the effect of language, and easy ways of addressing it.

3. As I said before, why are you crying so much about something that doesn't harm you, what terrible thing is going to happen to you if you stop saying guys?

What's going to happen to anybody else if we keep saying it? You said yourself that it isn't sexist or offensive, so what's the issue with saying it?
How's it any different from saying "What's up peeps?" or "Howdy friends"?
Original post by Good bloke
Or, perhaps that, your message is confused. What does no one isn't offended mean?

No one is offended. My phones autocorrection has been terrible recently.

Wouldn't have been so hard for you to figure out the actual meaning though, would it?
Hey guys.
Original post by Kindred
What's going to happen to anybody else if we keep saying it? You said yourself that it isn't sexist or offensive, so what's the issue with saying it?
How's it any different from saying "What's up peeps?" or "Howdy friends"?

Looks here Good Bloke, someone who was able to see it meant to say is instead of isn't.

Anyway, because language has an influence on how we think. Best example is men are assertive, women are aggressive or even straight up *****es. If you are interested, google gendered language.

Wouldn't have been so hard for you to figure out the actual meaning though, would it?

One can guess, of course, but clarity is better.
One can guess, of course, but clarity is better.

Read above.
Best example is men are assertive, women are aggressive

Are they? All of them? All the time? You may not have met many. I have found that both men and women can be aggressive, assertive, weak in equal measure.
Read above.

Stop using autocorrect.
Looks here Good Bloke, someone who was able to see it meant to say is instead of isn't.

Anyway, because language has an influence on how we think. Best example is men are assertive, women are aggressive or even straight up *****es. If you are interested, google gendered language.

I'm assuming this is a case of mistaken identity since there is a Good Bloke also in this discussion?

But I'll chip in anyway...
Language does have an influence on how we think and gendered language is a legitimate thing, but I don't think that "guy" is a reasonable example. It is commonly used to refer to people of either sex/ any gender and there is no significant negative connotation to saying it.
Something like"sweetie" or "love" can easily be used in a derogatory sense and I could get behind an argument against people using those words, but guy doesn't really have that potential and certainly not in a targeted way (like sweetie is often used against women".

The issue here is with how some people are seeing the word, not how it's used and frankly it's not at all necessary for people to change common speech for the sake of some sensitive people's emotions.
It is entirely that some people choose to see guy as a gendered word despite common use. It's not that it is sometimes used in a derogatory was and there is confusion related to that. The most reasonable solution is for people to just stop seeing it as a gendered word when frankly it isn't.

Language evolves and although "guy" may have previously been a gendered word it isn't now. There's no reason to cling to an old definition when all it's doing is upsetting yourself and making you see non existent harm in the word.
Frankly I think anybody who has an issue with the word is looking for confrontation where there is none either out of insecurity or aggression.
Original post by catsmeow_at_me
Why does it matter? Everyone knows 'guy's' means a group of people as well as an actual 'guy'.

That is so true
They do it in Spanish too and French
If you want to say "them" about a mixed group of people you say ellos and in French you say ils. When ellos can also mean those males and same for ils being plural for il which is he or it
(edited 6 years ago)
sup "fam"
Hey guys and g'day mate! How's it going? :h:
I use this all the time and I can generally not give two shits about what people like you think about it.
Are they? All of them? All the time? You may not have met many. I have found that both men and women can be aggressive, assertive, weak in equal measure.

Quite clearly that is a reference to the fact how men and women are often described, how different language is used. Don't be daft on purpose.
Reply 137
Original post by DrawTheLine
No I'll keep on saying it. Not everything in this world is offensive so stop trying to make everything something to be offended by.

Were all used to saying "Hi guys". Yes i get that if may be offensive to some girls......but im a girl myself and im used to hearing it and havve no problem
Reply 138
madness.
Reply 139
Original post by DrawTheLine
No I'll keep on saying it. Not everything in this world is offensive so stop trying to make everything something to be offended by.

... And i dont think anybody hs time to remove "guys" when addressing to everyone from their vocabulary sooo....

Latest

Trending

Trending