The Student Room Group

Exeter medicine (a100) applicants 2018 entry

Scroll to see replies

I got A*A*A* predictions UKCAT 640 and didn’t apply as my UKCAT was too low, would have applied if I was guaranteed tier 1 :/ but sadly they have changed the rules and I’m in tier 2... really sucks would have loved to go here
Original post by want2bstudent99
I got A*A*A* predictions UKCAT 640 and didn’t apply as my UKCAT was too low, would have applied if I was guaranteed tier 1 :/ but sadly they have changed the rules and I’m in tier 2... really sucks would have loved to go here

same as you but i applied loool
Original post by studyious
Applicants with contextual data are assessed separately so I will explain it as if you did not have any contextual flags. If you do, tell me and I'll explain it too.

You are put into tiers. With predicted grades the highest tier you can get put into is tier 2 with A*A*A*. Then they go down the tiers until they filled their places for interview. This meant that last year the cutoff fell into tier 2, they then ranked the applicants in tier 2 by UKCAT score and invited x number of candidates with the highest scores. For illustration purposes let's assume they had 100 places left to fill from tier 2. This essentially lead to a UKCAT cut-off as candidates with a UKCAT score of less than the 100th person on the ranked list will have been rejected.

Assuming this information is correct last years interview offers for non-contextual candidates would have looked like this:
Tier 1: Everyone is invited for interview
Tier 2: Everyone who has a UKCAT score above the cutoff (check the 2017 thread, I believe it's on there) is invited for interview, the rest rejected
Tier 3: Everyone is rejected
Tier 4: Everyone is rejected

If you check last years thread there were quite a few people claiming inconsistencies with the admissions policy so just look at this as a rough guideline from what I understood from the admissions policy on their website and explanations in rejection emails people seemed to have received last year.

Hi, could you please explain the contextual data offer? Thank you!!
I’ve applied with:
GCSE- 4A* 1A 4B
Predictions- A* A A
UKCAT- 637.5 Band 1

Exeter is my favourite and most risky choice, do I have any chance to be interviewed?

P.S. my A* GCSEs were in the sciences and maths, don’t know if that makes them any better.
If I get an offer it will be for AAA-AAB as I completed Exeter progressions!!
any other progressions students? as if you are predicted AAB or above your guaranteed an interview!

good luck all
Original post by NeverGrowUp
Great stats! what is the contextual offer based on? Is it for non selective schools?
Hey guys! I've applied to Exeter and it seems like there aren't that many of us!

GCSEs: 8A*s, 4As
AS: AAAA
Predictions: A*A*A*
UKCAT: 675, Band 1
Other choices: Cambridge, Leicester, Hull-York

Good luck to all!
Reply 26
I've applied but seems massively risky. Didn't know that when I applied. It does seem that it's not a popular choice this year (on TSR anyway).
I haven't received any email of acknowledgement from Exeter. Does this mean anything? Have I put in my email address wrong? Been rejected?
Original post by JMAchip1999
I haven't received any email of acknowledgement from Exeter. Does this mean anything? Have I put in my email address wrong? Been rejected?

No if they had made a decision (which they haven't), it would have appeared on UCAS track and you may have got an email from UCAS. Check your spam folder for the acknowledgement email. If it is not there, I'd maybe email them to check whether they have received your application.
Original post by GrandExecutioner
No if they had made a decision (which they haven't), it would have appeared on UCAS track and you may have got an email from UCAS. Check your spam folder for the acknowledgement email. If it is not there, I'd maybe email them to check whether they have received your application.

Okay thanks
Hi all,I’ve applied to Exeter, King’s College London, UCL and Oxford. My stats:

GCSEs: 11A*s
AS Levels: 4As (I know that not everybody did them!)
Predicted A Levels: 3A*s
UKCAT score: 825 (3300 total) and Band 1

Ithink that they’ll be inviting to interview in the next couple of weeks - good luck to everybody applying!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Interviews will begin to be sent out this week!
Hey guys!
I've applied to Exeter with the following stats:

GCSE 7A*s, 2As, B
AS: AAAA (in sciences and maths)
A2: A*A*AA (achieved), A* in bio and chem and As in maths and physics
UKCAT: 667 average, band 2

Do you think I have good chances of interview? I am quite worried that I will be tier 2 and that my UKCAT will be below the threshold :\
Original post by NeverGrowUp
How do you know?

Hiya,

Basically Exeter says that they’ll give about two weeks notice of interviews. Given that interviews for Exeter run 4th-17th December 2017, it makes sense that invitations will start going out soon.
I emailed the admissions office. They said they will begin sending them out during this week
Anyone heard back yet?
Reply 36
The Medic Portal have just published when interviews are being sent out. They say that Exeter are letting people know from today 😬😬😬
Original post by 98baby
The Medic Portal have just published when interviews are being sent out. They say that Exeter are letting people know from today 😬😬😬

Have you got the link?
Anyone know if Exeter have released their gamsat cut off? Anyone heard anything yet about interviews too?

Quick Reply