The Student Room Group

How many hours of lectures/seminars a week is too much?

I'm asking because I've heard that taking a joint honours degree means that you'll have to do more work and spend more time in lectures and seminars. I've worked out that I'd have roughly 11 hours of lectures and seminars per week doing a Hispanic Studies and Spanish course at Nottingham (if I've done it right), is that a lot?
Original post by AxSirlotl
I'm asking because I've heard that taking a joint honours degree means that you'll have to do more work and spend more time in lectures and seminars. I've worked out that I'd have roughly 11 hours of lectures and seminars per week doing a Hispanic Studies and Spanish course at Nottingham (if I've done it right), is that a lot?

Is 11 hours too much how about nope:
if you were to be in
5 days a week that would be 2.2 hours
4 days 2.77
3 days 3.6
3 days
and 2 days 5.5

very light compared to some.
It really depends what's expected of you outside of those 11 hours. If your assessment that semester is coursework heavy then 11 may well be quite a lot, if it's exam heavy then 11 may be basically nothing. For example in first year engineering you can pretty much treat it as a 9-5 day, once you've finished lectures/labs you can go home and forget about the world, but it's also a 9-5 day everyday. Now I'm in 4th year I have 7 contact hours per week, but everything is also very assignment based to the point where even 7 may be a bit high. You also need to take into account the time it takes to get ready and go to the lectures, if you've got a 30 minute walk to and from uni then 2 hours of lectures suddenly means a 3 hour commitment, and any pre-reading can add 1-2 hours quite easily.

For Hispanic Studies and Spanish I would guess that's probably about right as you'll be expected to do a lot of coursework, language practice, and pre-reading, it may even be slightly on the low side.
It doesnt seem like a lot tbh. I have 14 hours of lectures in the 3 days im in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending