The Student Room Group

Only got insured 2 weeks ago and scratched someones car

Scroll to see replies

If you've just passed your test and have somehow managed to crash into a parked car you're going to struggle to prove damage wasn't your fault.
Reply 21
Original post by UniWasEz
If you've just passed your test and have somehow managed to crash into a parked car you're going to struggle to prove damage wasn't your fault.

The onus is on you to prove that the other party caused underlying damage beyond cosmetic. Its rare that a small scrape will cause any damage internally.
Original post by IWMTom
The onus is on you to prove that the other party caused underlying damage beyond cosmetic. Its rare that a small scrape will cause any damage internally.

Again, if something like this ever happened to me I'd have a mechanic look over it and would be very confident of winning any claim, especially against a new driver.

Also it's TC saying it was a small scrape, which is very subjective.
Ask the owner for evidence that the handbreak issue was solely down to the crash. Otherwise, only pay for the paintwork on the car.
Original post by IWMTom
Dangerous? Get lost, troll.

TC crashed into a parked car. If you are doing that then you are definitely a dangerous driver.

But aye, get abusive cause you know I'm right.
Reply 25
TC crashed into a parked car. If you are doing that then you are definitely a dangerous driver.

Minorly scratching a parked car doesn't exactly justify brandishing the OP as a dangerous driver, mate. Pipe down.
Original post by IWMTom
Minorly scratching a parked car doesn't exactly justify brandishing the OP as a dangerous driver, mate. Pipe down.

Anyone that hits parked cars is a dangerous driver. Not my fault if you also hit parked cars.
Reply 27
Anyone that hits parked cars is a dangerous driver. Not my fault if you also hit parked cars.

Care to explain how a minor scrape correlates to being dangerous? Christ on a bike...
Original post by IWMTom
Care to explain how a minor scrape correlates to being dangerous? Christ on a bike...

They hit a PARKED car. If you have so little control over your car that you are hitting stationary vehicles then you are dangerous.
Reply 29
They hit a PARKED car. If you have so little control over your car that you are hitting stationary vehicles then you are dangerous.

She was coming out of a tight parking space. It's not like she was driving along a road and just decided to hit a car at speed!

Nobody is perfect, and everyone tends to have a minor scrape at some point in their driving career.
Original post by IWMTom
She was coming out of a tight parking space, you demented walnut! It's not like she was driving along a road and just decided to hit a car at speed!

Nobody is perfect, and everyone tends to have a minor scrape at some point in their driving career.

Don't be such a prick.

Why you getting mad and abusive?

She hit a parked car so she clearly had no control over the car she was driving and had no positional awareness. Dont see how anyone can argue that isn't dangerous.
Reply 31
Why you getting mad and abusive?

She hit a parked car so she clearly had no control over the car she was driving and had no positional awareness. Dont see how anyone can argue that isn't dangerous.

Wow they're some fantastic logical reasoning skills you've got there!!

Minor scrapes can come from just a momentary lapse of observation - I'd hardly call a ridiculously slow speed scrape dangerous. If she hit a parked car at 30mph, it'd be another story...

You're blowing this way out of proportion; it simply isn't necessary.
Again, if something like this ever happened to me I'd have a mechanic look over it and would be very confident of winning any claim, especially against a new driver.

Why do you think that how long the driver has been licensed is relevant?
If someone was so incompetent at driving that they hit my car (happened once before) I would put my car into a main dealer, use only main brand parts and ask the mechanic to look for any other potential damage that isn't instantly noticeable, which I would get rectified. If you crash into someone, you deserve what you get.

No, but by using a main dealer, you might get what you deserve. They're typically useless.
I scratched someones car recently, though it was an expensive BMW and it caused a bit of damage so he had to change the whole bumper (my Ford Ka was unharmed ironically). I asked him to get a quote from a mechanic and then let me know, so I could pay privately, but being a BMW, it would cost over £1k! I had to go through insurance then, so I would ask the man to get a quote and offer to pay for it yourself if you can afford it. :smile: No worries if you can't and have to go through insurance. It will raise your premium but hopefully, not too much!

Original post by Aily M
Hi i m a new driver . Only got insured two weeks ago. I was getting late for interview and i was getting out tight space and scratched someones car bumper and didnt even realise it and i thought thats my clutch making noise as it does and perfectly drove off. Now after i came back home my husband u scraped someones car and didnt even tell me abt it. the women across the street saw it and told the guy whose car it was. Now i apologized to that guy. and he said he will go privately. The scratch is around 2 inches long and car is 13 years old and volvo grey in colour. I am dreading its gona b too much and feel so stupid. can anyone tell me how much the cost is gona b around or shud i go with my insurance
Original post by prophetkid
Ask the owner for evidence that the handbreak issue was solely down to the crash. Otherwise, only pay for the paintwork on the car.

So what you’re saying is: OP should get charged with ‘Driving without due care and attention’ for being a “dangerous driver”, over a little scratch? :laugh:
Original post by RoyalSheepy
So what you’re saying is: OP should get charged with ‘Driving without due care and attention’ for being a “dangerous driver”, over a little scratch? :laugh:

Not really sure why you quoted me there, I didn't imply either of those points.
Original post by prophetkid
Not really sure why you quoted me there, I didn't imply either of those points.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to quote you :laugh: TSR on Safari is really fiddly :eviltongue:
Original post by RoyalSheepy

Shame TC isn't as good at missing parked cars as you are at missing the point.
Shame TC isn't as good at missing parked cars as you are at missing the point.

The only person who is missing the point is you.

How does scratching a car make OP a dangerous driver?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending