The Student Room Group

Have your say: The 19 most relatable student problems

Being a uni student is confusing. You’re not a child anymore, but you’re also pretty sure adults don’t have beans on toast for dinner everyday.

It doesn’t matter how many times you’re told uni will be ‘the best years of your life’, there will always be things you don’t miss after you graduate.

Have a read of 'The 19 most relatable student problems' and let us know if you can relate :wink:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Cancelled lectures? Means you get to go home :lol:

I think having too many lectures is a killer - today for example I have 6 hours of lectures in 9 hours - when you're up at 6:40 to get to an 8:15 lecture, it's near impossible to focus for your last one at 4 o'clock..
Ah yes, mentioning to people that you're on a computing course and there's an assumption that you know absolutely everything there is to know about how to fix a damn computer. Strangely, I don't.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Ah yes, mentioning to people that you're on a computing course and there's an assumption that you know absolutely everything there is to know about how to fix a damn computer. Strangely, I don't.

I get this a lot as a Computing student. They automatically assume I'm some trained engineer/technician with a PhD and 20 years experience in fixing computers.
Reply 4
Not getting enough sleep.
Reply 5
10,11,13,14, 15 are the only ones I relate to, although some of them not anymore
Original post by SGHD26716
Not getting enough sleep.
:ditto:
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne

I think having too many lectures is a killer - today for example I have 6 hours of lectures in 9 hours - when you're up at 6:40 to get to an 8:15 lecture, it's near impossible to focus for your last one at 4 o'clock..

I do wonder how you would manage at work
cant relate to half of these as i dont live in halls
Original post by jelly1000
I do wonder how you would manage at work

Having done a placement year, the answer to this misconception is: just fine! Uni and work are two different things in terms of how much it drains you, unless you are a doctor or banker or similar (or so i presume)
(edited 6 years ago)
Having done a placement year, the answer to this misconception is: just fine! Uni and work are two different things in terms of how much it drains you, unless you are a doctor or banker or similar (or so i presume)

Interesting. I'm not a doctor or banker or any other high stress job but I definitley find work more draining than I did uni.
Somehow I managed to survive 3 years of a Bachelors degree without hearing people have sex. Though for a term i did become that guy who others could hear....aka the **** of the house.

Did have to put up with the person in the room right next to me on a squeaky bed for my masters, probably 2-4 times a week for a good few months, so karma does exist for any doubters
I'm genuinely concerned about where I'll be living in second year. I've made friends with my coursemates and one girl in my flat is really lovely. We haven't really spoken about it yet. I want to bring it up in conversation, but I don't want it to get awkward if they say "oh yeah, we've already sorted who we're living with" and then find out I'm left with no one to live with.

I sort of talked about it with my flatmate, she asked me and our other flatmate if we know what's happening next year. She said she wants to live with 2 guys on her course, and then she said it'll be nice to have a girl to live with too. That's when I piped up and said "I'd like to live with you, you're really nice to live with" and it kind of got brushed off with "it's pretty early yet". We're both clean and we both get along. We have good conversations, but we're not really friends yet if you know what I mean.

With my coursemates, there's a group of about 6 of us which is pretty big for a house. We all get on and they're all lovely but I don't know if we will go about living with each other. It'd make sense to live with people on my course because then doing projects will be easier.

There's also the option of being a residential advisor which means I stay in halls for second year and potentially third year, where I'm like a mentor for the first years, sorting out flat problems and being someone to talk to. They get a £60 discount per week on their accommodation, meaning it's like £50 a week to live here, which is amazing and I'm considering it just because of how cheap it'll be to live here. However, do I actually want to stay in halls another year? It's so loud in freshers and I like my sleep.

So I don't really know what to do. I know I don't have to worry about it yet, but I want to get a good student house in a good location but I don't want to make my coursemates / flatmate think I'm desperate to live with them. I'd rather live with them than strangers. I want them to know I want to live with them, but I don't want them to think that I'm desperate to cling onto them. I hope I make sense and somebody understands how I'm feeling.
When you're in Year 13 and this entire post makes you feel hella nervous
One or two good points, and the rest is clutching at straws.
Original post by Chelle1304
when your in year 14 and this makes you really exicited (i dont drink btw)
This should be retitled as "The 19 most relatable University student living in the halls problems" since very few of these will apply if you don't live in the halls, and pretty much none of them will apply if you're a college student.

That's what caffeine is for my friend! Tell me about it. Mondays are always are the hardest and I have a 9am and then lab till 5pm, but gotta get that degree :cry2:
Waking up for 9am lectures only to spend the whole lecture on my phone anyway :biggrin:
Original post by Chelle1304

Don't feel nervous! University is awesome. You'll meet amazing people and learn from world renowned professors and yeah 9am are not too fun and the work can make you cry, but hey you're kicking your butt right now during alevels, in order to get into uni- it's basically the same at uni.

Just stay on top of your reading/problem sheets and submit your work on time and you will have an amazing time. Also, don't worry I say keep on top of things, but that is ideal. We all struggle and slip up and end up crying sometimes at 3:45 in the morning due to a assignment, but it's the will power to struggle on and push forward. I promise you, you will love university and honestly it is worth it at the end!

Quick Reply

Latest