The Student Room Group

Entry requirement help

I applied for engineering at Southampton where the minimum offer on the website was A*AA. But I just got an offer from Southampton of AAB; why is my offer so much more lower than A*AA? I have gotten 4 A'S at AS.
Original post by cotkhd
I applied for engineering at Southampton where the minimum offer on the website was A*AA. But I just got an offer from Southampton of AAB; why is my offer so much more lower than A*AA? I have gotten 4 A'S at AS.

are you disadvantaged in any way?
Reply 2
Original post by cotkhd

Dunno. Maybe you're in a disadvantaged category, maybe they have less applicants than expected so are making it easier for people, maybe they just like you.
Doesn't really matter tbh, you're just more likely to get it so be glad about that :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
are you disadvantaged in any way?

Perhaps they looked at the school avg grades? Other than that im not disadvantaged
Reply 4
is it a common thing for unis to offer below their minimum entry requirements? o_o
Original post by cotkhd
Perhaps they looked at the school avg grades? Other than that im not disadvantaged

hm strange I guess. Poster above has some fair ideas. Grade requirements don't always stay the same the website usually shows the average requirements for the year before which is subject to change.
Reply 6
Original post by cotkhd

Does any of this apply?
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/studentadmin/admissions/admissions-policies/contextual-admissions.page

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would guess one or more of: disadvantage, high AS grades, and they were really struggling to recruit this year.

They had so many engineering courses open in clearing with massively reduced grade requirements of AAB or ABB in some cases. I don't know whether that's because they're trying to expand or they just aren't getting as many people taking up offers as they used to.
Reply 8
sometimes the entry requirement changes for a specific person

Quick Reply

Latest