The Student Room Group

Can I still get good grades at GCSE

I was planning to revise everyday from the start of year 11, but so far its already been 2 months and i've barely done anything. I want to get all 7-9's, but I have a massive lack to motivation put my head down and actually do some revision. My mocks are coming up very soon and I feel extremely unprepared. My worst subject is definitely English and I have no idea how to revise for it. At this stage of the course could I achieve these grades if I do put in the effort and how can I find the motivation to do that?
find something that you will do with good results for ex you will get into a certain sixth form if u get grade 8 or you will get a certain job if you get a 9. if you find reasoning to why you should do well it can motivate you to do well rather than just not care because it wouldn't matter.
Oh wow that's exactly me. I planned to revise every day too but so far haven't done much except for this week. I did kind of procrastinate but i watched loads of vids on how to revise different subjects then made a plan for each gcse I'm taking and I'm planning to start of easy, with one hour and a half per subject per week for revision. I'm aiming for high grades too :smile: and as for motivation, if you want to do something then just DO IT because 'later' might be never.
Reply 3
I would recommend buying cgp study guides if you are able to or see if your school has them. Also you can watch YouTube videos on things you find difficult to revise as they are very helpful. I find making mindmaps for all my subjects really help as they help to break up large bits of information. For example you could make a mind map on how to write a comparative essay regarding poetry anthology. Practise papers are also very useful for studying so you can sit a paper and after you mark it you'll know which areas you need to work more in- the examiners comment also help here.
Oh also this is how I plan on revising for english, if its any help:

1. I've got a large folder, which will have a section for EACH and EVERY anthology/poem/text and I will include an annotated version, notes and tables on the poems/texts/ as well as any information I find on the internet that I think would be useful.
2. I also decided to create flow charts for the short stories, as it would be easy to refresh my memory when it comes closer to revision time.
3. CGP and York Note revision guides
4. Past Papers
5. And finally, MR BRUFF, I haven't watched many videos yet but he is soooo helpful, so yeah, try him on YTube.
I got ome 6 (English Lang) 7 As an A* and a 9 (English lit)
I literally didn't start revising until the end of April because we had mocks in March
Don't panic or stress yourself out
You'll be absolutely fine. I'd recommend making sure you learn science mark schemes because if I could go back en I would

LOL I watched all her videos this week, they're soooo helpful
Original post by KawaiiArtist
LOL I watched all her videos this week, they're soooo helpful

Pretty sure this generation would be screwed without our lord and saviour eve bennett lmaoooo
I got all A*s in my GCSES and I only started proper serious revision during the Easter holidays. Unless you are revising for mocks, don’t start revision too early, you will peak too early and it won’t benefit you at all. For English, I just had to practise essay writing.
Original post by troubletracking
Pretty sure this generation would be screwed without our lord and saviour eve bennett lmaoooo

:wink: So true
Btw does anyone know any good gcse sociology channels on Ytube? I still haven't managed to find any good ones yet.
I got 9A*s and A and a B at gcse and I didn’t start revision untill April so 🤷*♀️
Reply 13
Original post by Niamh3213
I got ome 6 (English Lang) 7 As an A* and a 9 (English lit)
I literally didn't start revising until the end of April because we had mocks in March
Don't panic or stress yourself out
You'll be absolutely fine. I'd recommend making sure you learn science mark schemes because if I could go back en I would

Hi, how did you revise for English literature? :-)
Original post by aMassDebater
I was planning to revise everyday from the start of year 11, but so far its already been 2 months and i've barely done anything. I want to get all 7-9's, but I have a massive lack to motivation put my head down and actually do some revision. My mocks are coming up very soon and I feel extremely unprepared. My worst subject is definitely English and I have no idea how to revise for it. At this stage of the course could I achieve these grades if I do put in the effort and how can I find the motivation to do that?

gg its not that deep - i still got 3 As and i crammed 3 weeks before my first exam lel
Original post by aMassDebater

I did no revision until the last 2 months and got all A’s. You’ll be fine.
Yh u got loads of time but u have to start asap
Original post by geolh
Hi, how did you revise for English literature? :-)

If only I knew!
We studied animal farm and we got these sheets from school which was like character profiles and themes
They had key quotes, context and then like just the general role in book
I took them and made them into mind maps
They were absolutely brilliant!
For Macbeth I don't even know! Basically we had a talk at school about more advanced ways to answer Andre learnt about feminist perspectives a Marxist perspectives and stuff which I was really interested in I guess
And I literally didn't revise a Christmas carol
I revised most poems by putting the title in the middle and making a mind map with headings like: context, what to link it to. Quotes etc
Basically I only did well because I really loved animal farm and we had a new head of English who was AMAZING at helping us!
In the exam I loved the first paper questions and actually wanted to keep writi after the time was up because I enjoyed it 😂
Also for unseen poetry make up a deeper meaning even if it's rubbish
Thank your for the replies, your messages have relaxed; however, I still know that starting earlier is better so I am planning on doing around 3 hours of revision a day from now on to prepare me and hopefully a lot more in the run up to mocks.
@KawaiiArtist and @Niamh3213 Thank you for those techniques, I will make sure to use those techniques in my English revision
@troubletracking Thanks for the link, I have seen all her videos, she is really helpful

Also, for hopefully the last time I will ever need to say this, does anyone have some last minute revision tips, as my mocks are starting on Friday

Quick Reply

Latest