The Student Room Group

Having part time job in year 13 :(

I'm so stressed out. I;m at school almost everyday from 9 till 3 or 4 and then at home I have so much homework to do and I do all essay based subjects and I have mentoring for an hour once a week but it takes an hour to get there and back so it's three hours after school so I end up coming home at 6 or 7.

I also have a jobn Saturday for 6 hours. and I neeed it it too because I hate asking my mum for money because she get's really anxious about it and I feel guilty.

At work I've already missed a couple of days due to other school requirements and now I asked if I could cut my hours till 4 just for tomorrow. They're quite flexible but I feel guilty. I'm mentally exhausted. Does anyone have advice?
Such is life for me too at the moment. Only I'm doing more hours! It's a real pain in the ass to keep on top of everything but as they say, no pain no gain!

So relax a little, take some time off everything and anything and have a few hours to yourself sometimes- That's what I do anyways! :smile:
Original post by justanotherchica
I'm so stressed out. I;m at school almost everyday from 9 till 3 or 4 and then at home I have so much homework to do and I do all essay based subjects and I have mentoring for an hour once a week but it takes an hour to get there and back so it's three hours after school so I end up coming home at 6 or 7.

I also have a jobn Saturday for 6 hours. and I neeed it it too because I hate asking my mum for money because she get's really anxious about it and I feel guilty.

At work I've already missed a couple of days due to other school requirements and now I asked if I could cut my hours till 4 just for tomorrow. They're quite flexible but I feel guilty. I'm mentally exhausted. Does anyone have advice?

If the job affects your studies at all, quit it. They'll be plenty of time after our exams to earn money and there are only a couple more months until its all over.

If you feel like it's too much, drop it. Especially in year 13, you want to be able to prepare for exams without being stressed out all the time. I worked 20 hours a week at Starbucks during college and managed fine (got good grades) but that's definitely not for everybody. School comes first.
Original post by angelinahx
If you feel like it's too much, drop it. Especially in year 13, you want to be able to prepare for exams without being stressed out all the time. I worked 20 hours a week at Starbucks during college and managed fine (got good grades) but that's definitely not for everybody. School comes first.

but.. I need the money. I'm also trying to save up for uni because maintenance loans just won't cut it and I can't guaratee that I'll find a part time job at uni.
but.. I need the money. I'm also trying to save up for uni because maintenance loans just won't cut it and I can't guaratee that I'll find a part time job at uni.

Of course you'll find a part-time job at university if you really want one, retail jobs aren't that difficult to get and you already have experience which puts you at an advantage to other competing applicants with none. If you feel like you really need the money and there's no other alternative, stick with it but talk to your manager. Maybe you could work more during half-terms, maybe even part-time (15-20 hours) during Christmas and breaks.
A lot of university (and college) students work 8-12 hours a week and manage just fine. Maybe you just need to manage your time better. If I were you, though, I'd focus on exams. You can work full-time during the summer holidays - I saved about Β£2400 doing that last summer.

Quick Reply

Latest