The Student Room Group

AS resits??

I didn’t work very hard for my AS exams last year and achieved AABB in biology, maths, chemistry and history respectively. I HATED maths and had to work sooo hard for the A so decided to drop it. However I had high Bs in both of my chemistry exams so I’m resitting as I find AS concepts underlie a lot of A2 chemistry.

However my issue is history. I thought I would drop history but after realising I hated maths and my chances of achieving an A by the end of A2 were slim, I decided to continue with history ( I have a dire maths dept at my school and amazing history dept ). I had 84/100 ums in one exam and 70/100 ums in another. I am disappointed with the 70 and this is what I thought to resit. However this was in the British history paper, and this year I am studying America and Nazi germany - so compeletly unrelated. I want to resit this exam to boost my ums but considering the workload I’m querying whether it’s really worth it? I need a minimum of 3 As this year which is why I want to boost my marks, however, I can still achieve an A/A* in history this year without resitting the British history paper, with a lot of hard work.

So the question is, do I play it safe with resitting the British paper from AS to better my chances of an A despite the workload? Or do I take a risk and try and work harder in history this year to get high marks in this year’s A2 exams? Also we have coursework worth 100 ums ( all 5 components equally weighed ) which over the past few years every A level history student has achieved an A* in, so I would be able to slightly take pressure off here if I happened to do well.

I’d appreciate any advice! :smile:
If your AS grades don't count for anything then I wouldn't bother re doing the exam, I would just focus on what you need to do this year!
Original post by thirteenreasons
If your AS grades don't count for anything then I wouldn't bother re doing the exam, I would just focus on what you need to do this year!

They still go towards my final mark out of 500, so at the moment I have 154/200 and the next 300 marks come from A2, so they do count, but I will need over 400/500 for an A or an average of 90ums+ in my A2 exams for an A*.
Reply 3
Original post by liliandrews
X

Is this A Level definitely not linear yet? Most of the AS exams don't count towards your overall grade anymore.

If your AS grade does count, I don't think it's really necessary for you to resit the exam - you said yourself that you will be able to achieve the A grade that you need, and you did really well. I did an AS resit last year and it was really difficult because we didn't have much support, so I had to try to do the whole thing off my own back while trying to handle my other subjects too. I ended up with 3 marks worse in my resit :colondollar:

The underlying message here is that I think it would be more productive for you to focus on your A2 exams since you can still achieve the grade you need if you do it that way. If you do resit, you might risk jeopardising your other grades if you struggle to distribute your studying effectively.

If you choose to resit, make sure that your main focus is on your A2 exams because they're what really matter since you already achieved a decent grade in AS.
Reply 4
They still go towards my final mark out of 500, so at the moment I have 154/200 and the next 300 marks come from A2, so they do count, but I will need over 400/500 for an A or an average of 90ums+ in my A2 exams for an A*.

I assume from this you're not in England - am I right? The answers to your questions is completely different if you are or you aren't so no one can help unless we know.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Compost
I assume from this you're not in England - am I right? The answers to your questions is completely different if you are or you aren't so no one can help unless we know.

Sorry I should have clarified, I’m not in England and I’m not doing Linear A levels so my AS grades do count towards my final A level grade
Original post by Amefish
Is this A Level definitely not linear yet? Most of the AS exams don't count towards your overall grade anymore.

If your AS grade does count, I don't think it's really necessary for you to resit the exam - you said yourself that you will be able to achieve the A grade that you need, and you did really well. I did an AS resit last year and it was really difficult because we didn't have much support, so I had to try to do the whole thing off my own back while trying to handle my other subjects too. I ended up with 3 marks worse in my resit :colondollar:

The underlying message here is that I think it would be more productive for you to focus on your A2 exams since you can still achieve the grade you need if you do it that way. If you do resit, you might risk jeopardising your other grades if you struggle to distribute your studying effectively.

If you choose to resit, make sure that your main focus is on your A2 exams because they're what really matter since you already achieved a decent grade in AS.

No my school isn’t doing Linear A levels so my AS marks count towards my grade next year. My gut instinct is not to resit the exam however it consists of 2 essays and one of which I misinterpreted on the day which is what caused the lower mark, so because of this my teacher wants me to resit the exam. Thank you so much for your help :smile:
Reply 7
No my school isn’t doing Linear A levels so my AS marks count towards my grade next year. My gut instinct is not to resit the exam however it consists of 2 essays and one of which I misinterpreted on the day which is what caused the lower mark, so because of this my teacher wants me to resit the exam. Thank you so much for your help :smile:

I wouldn't re-sit because, as you say, you're not studying the same period this year so it will be a lot of extra work to revise and you have enough with 3 sets of A2 exams.

(One thing I thought I'd better check, just because you need to be sure you've understood the marks allocation when deciding a sensible way forward. Is the total really 500 UMS for the subject? Are you doing CIE (which technically doesn't have UMS)? Back when all the domestic exam boards (AQA, CCEA, Edexcel. OCR and WJEC) had the same system I think all the subjects had a UMS total of 400 or 600 - but I've never had much to do with CCEA so I could be wrong.
Original post by Compost
I wouldn't re-sit because, as you say, you're not studying the same period this year so it will be a lot of extra work to revise and you have enough with 3 sets of A2 exams.

(One thing I thought I'd better check, just because you need to be sure you've understood the marks allocation when deciding a sensible way forward. Is the total really 500 UMS for the subject? Are you doing CIE (which technically doesn't have UMS)? Back when all the domestic exam boards (AQA, CCEA, Edexcel. OCR and WJEC) had the same system I think all the subjects had a UMS total of 400 or 600 - but I've never had much to do with CCEA so I could be wrong.

I’m doing wjec, each section is worth 20% of the total grade (4 exams and 1 piece of coursework). Every exam and the coursework is worth 100 ums and totalled to 500 ums overall. This is the same for biology and chemistry being they are both out of 500 ums, where the AS units are 100 ums each and the A2 exams are 125 ums each, with the practical being worth 50 ums, hence a total of 500 ums. Sorry I should have explained WJEC’s system beforehand. Also to achieve an A you will need 400/500 (so 80%). But to achieve an A* you need 90% over the A2 units only and an average of 80% across all the modules (from both AS and A2) so therefore essentially if you were to get a very high A* average across A2 this is still doable with a C at AS without resits (as you would have over 90% at A2 and an average of over 80%). I’m not sure if this system applies to the other exam boards? It’s a bit annoying how there’s so many haha. But speaking for my maths A level this was OCR, which at the end of A2 was out of 600 ums, as you said was the norm for most exam boards. So not resitting the history AS exam does not hinder my chances of getting an A/A* however I understand how difficult it is to achieve an A* at a level and I feel that resitting this exam would help to slightly ease pressure because there’s a potential 30 marks I couldn’t gain from the resit which makes it a lot easier to get an A overall without having too much pressure on the A2 exams.
Reply 9
I’m doing wjec, each section is worth 20% of the total grade (4 exams and 1 piece of coursework). Every exam and the coursework is worth 100 ums and totalled to 500 ums overall. This is the same for biology and chemistry being they are both out of 500 ums, where the AS units are 100 ums each and the A2 exams are 125 ums each, with the practical being worth 50 ums, hence a total of 500 ums. Sorry I should have explained WJEC’s system beforehand. Also to achieve an A you will need 400/500 (so 80%). But to achieve an A* you need 90% over the A2 units only and an average of 80% across all the modules (from both AS and A2) so therefore essentially if you were to get a very high A* average across A2 this is still doable with a C at AS without resits (as you would have over 90% at A2 and an average of over 80%). I’m not sure if this system applies to the other exam boards? It’s a bit annoying how there’s so many haha. But speaking for my maths A level this was OCR, which at the end of A2 was out of 600 ums, as you said was the norm for most exam boards. So not resitting the history AS exam does not hinder my chances of getting an A/A* however I understand how difficult it is to achieve an A* at a level and I feel that resitting this exam would help to slightly ease pressure because there’s a potential 30 marks I couldn’t gain from the resit which makes it a lot easier to get an A overall without having too much pressure on the A2 exams.

I was just checking but you sounds as if you have a good grasp of how it all fits together - it's amazing how many people don't. I have know people (on modular History) go from a B at AS to an A* at A level without re-sitting (and a D to an A* with 1 re-sit) so people can make up more ground than you need to, particularly if they really nail the coursework so concentrate on that first.
Original post by Compost
I was just checking but you sounds as if you have a good grasp of how it all fits together - it's amazing how many people don't. I have know people (on modular History) go from a B at AS to an A* at A level without re-sitting (and a D to an A* with 1 re-sit) so people can make up more ground than you need to, particularly if they really nail the coursework so concentrate on that first.

Thank you so much for your help. I don’t have to decide until March whether I want to resit or not and this is after the coursework deadline anyway. The only reason I’m trying to decide whether it’s worth it now is because I would plan to start revising early (now) to prevent as much stress as possible later on haha. However I don’t want to start revising for it all again now just to realise it’s not worth it by the time exams come around when I have a lot to focus on with A2 anyway

Quick Reply

Latest