The Student Room Group

What is a 'regressive snowflake'

Someone just posted on my Facebook feed that they are an 'enemy of regressive snowflakes'.

Where do their loyalties lie on the political spectrum?
Reply 1
They sound like they're on the far end of the nobhead spectrum.
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
They sound like they're on the far end of the nobhead spectrum.

Yes, I would sort of agree with you there - but what does 'regressive snowflake' actually mean (I have an idea that it is something to do with political ideology)?
Reply 3
Easily offended, identity politicking, flakey young leftist. Generally.
Probably a left making fun of a right. And probably an american because their politics is really dumbed down and stupid lmao.

They're all calling each other snowflakes. And progressive is used to describe left wing politics. They'd be refering to right wingers if they used 'regressive' to describe them.

Snowflake was first used by people on the 'right wing with conservative beliefs to make fun of social justice warrior types when they're ranting. feminists etc.

Now everyone calls each other a snowflake when they get argue lol.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
The right wing frequently refer to the current brand of 'SJW' as 'regressive snowflakes'. The 'regressive left' is the most popular framing of modern leftist politics by rightists that lament the supposed loss of classical liberalism in anyone further left than Thatcher.

See this for an overview. It's popular on the alt-right now.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gjd800
The right wing frequently refer to the current brand of 'SJW' as 'regressive snowflakes'. The 'regressive left' is the most popular framing of modern leftist politics by rightists that lament the supposed loss of classical liberalism in anyone further left than Thatcher.

See this for an overview. It's popular on the alt-right now.

The alt-right, like famous weed advocate, PETA member, and general economic and social leftist Bill Maher?
Reply 7
Original post by TimmonaPortella
The alt-right, like famous weed advocate, PETA member, and general economic and social leftist Bill Maher?

At which point in what I posted did I say that it is 'exclusively used by the alt-right'?

Go 'ead, I'll wait.
Original post by gjd800
At which point in what I posted did I say that it is 'exclusively used by the alt-right'?

Go 'ead, I'll wait.

It's clear enough that your own article's citation of Bill Maher, Dave Rubin, Richard Dawkins, and Sam Harris as people who have used the phrase 'regressive left' runs counter to your narrative that it's the preserve of the nutty right. That's enough for me to make the post.
A regressive snowflake is one that lifts off the ground and slowly gets smaller and less complex as it flies straight up into the sky.
Reply 10
It's clear enough that your own article's citation of Bill Maher, Dave Rubin, Richard Dawkins, and Sam Harris as people who have used the phrase 'regressive left' runs counter to your narrative that it's the preserve of the nutty right. That's enough for me to make the post.

I never said it was the 'preserve' of the 'nutty right' though, did I? That'd be analogous to saying 'only the alt-right' say this'. I actually said it's popular with them at the moment - do you deny that? It'd be strange to do so.
Original post by ChickenMadness
progressive is used to describe left wing politics. They'd be refering to right wingers if they used 'regressive' to describe them.

You're mistaken. 'Regressive' is commonly used as a term to disparage self-described "progressive" leftists. The whole point is to deny them of their own self-titling, and to say that they are not actually progressive but regressive.
Reply 12
Original post by Anonsama
You're mistaken. 'Regressive' is commonly used as a term to disparage self-described "progressive" leftists. The whole point is to deny them of their own self-titling, and to say that they are not actually progressive but regressive.

Bingo. The whole thing on both sides is incredibly tiresome, actually.
Original post by gjd800
I never said it was the 'preserve' of the 'nutty right' though, did I? That'd be analogous to saying 'only the alt-right' say this'. I actually said it's popular with them at the moment - do you deny that? It'd be strange to do so.

No, you didn't say it, but your post taken on its own would be capable of giving that impression to OP. I corrected that. I'm not really interested in picking apart your semantics.
Reply 14
No, you didn't say it, but your post taken on its own would be capable of giving that impression to OP. I corrected that. I'm not really interested in picking apart your semantics.

You seemed keen to a couple of posts ago. In any case, I didn't say this thing that you called my 'narrative'. Glad we cleared that up.
So would you say that the person who wrote 'regressive snowflake' is left or right wing?
Original post by Anonymous
So would you say that the person who wrote 'regressive snowflake' is left or right wing?

It's likely to be a rightist saying it of leftists. It might be one kind of leftist saying it of another kind of leftist, as above. It's unlikely to be directed at any kind of rightist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending