The Student Room Group

Which Canadian university is the best for me?

Hi guys im from Srilanka.I have finished my A/L s and im waiting for my results.
My plan is to study Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering in Canada.
I've researched about some universities in Canada.Tution fees is the main factor for me.Im looking so uni's around $7000 per year.So finally ive decided to join University of Alberta or University of Manitoba.Ive heard that Uni of Alberta is more recognized and better ranked than uni of Manitoba.But the thing is alot of Srilankans and my older friends study Engineering at Manitoba.So what do you think guys shall I join Alberta or Manitoba?Or are there any other universities which are better than UniofAlberta and UniOfManitoba? (Ive heard that Uni of British Columbia is good for Engineering).
Hoping for some ideas and answers. Btw im a Srilankan Canadian dual citizen.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by john_1998
Hi guys im from Srilanka.I have finished my A/L s and im waiting for my results.
I've researched about some universities in Canada.Tution fees is the main factor for me.Im looking so uni's around $7000 per year.So finally ive decided to join University of Alberta or University of Manitoba.Ive heard that Uni of Alberta is more recognized and better ranked than uni of Manitoba.But the thing is alot of Srilankans and my older friends study Engineering at Manitoba.So what do you think guys shall I join Alberta or Manitoba?Or are there any other universities which are better than UniofAlberta and UniOfManitoba? (Ive heard that Uni of British Columbia is good for Engineering).
Hoping for some ideas and answers.

Are you sure about those tuition costs? The international fees I'm looking at for Engineering undergraduate at University of Alberta are CAD$25,211.52 and for Manitoba it's CAD$20,000.
Reply 2
Sorry mate! Forgot to mention that im a dual citizen of Srilanka and Canada.So my tution fees will be charged as im a Canadian so i will be charged around $7000. Im a dual citizen who lives in Srilanka
Reply 3
Sorry mate! Forgot to mention that im a dual citizen of Srilanka and Canada.So my tution fees will be charged as im a Canadian so i will be charged around $7000. Im a dual citizen who lives in Srilanka

Are you sure... for example, UK citizens living abroad but wanting to go to UK universities are charged the international fees.

Also TSR is mostly about UK universities. I'm not sure there's many around with enough experience to compare your 2 Canadian universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Yep mate.They charge the domestic fees even though u live outside canada. I spoke to many universities regarding this issue.(Uni of manitoba and alberta are also included)
Original post by Doonesbury
Are you sure... for example, UK citizens living abroad but wanting to go to UK universities are charged the international fees.

Also TSR is mostly about UK universities. I'm not sure there's many around with enough experience to compare your 2 Canadian universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The UK is pretty much the only place that does this, everywhere else does it solely by citizenship as far as I know.
Reply 6
Original post by Helloworld_95
The UK is pretty much the only place that does this, everywhere else does it solely by citizenship as far as I know.

Ah - fair enough. Thanks :smile:
Hoping for some ideas and answers. Btw im a Srilankan Canadian dual citizen.

hello what are your gcse results and ur predicted a levels results

Quick Reply

Latest