The Student Room Group

Self studying any A level subject?

Hey guys,
I'm thinking about self-studying an A-level subject due to the fact that NewZealand made it compulsory to take AS English so my choice of subjects for AS is very limited. I'm taking physics, but considering my performance in the October exam I just had, I don't think I'm likely to get an A for physics in A-level. I'm currently taking Math, Physics, DesignNTech English Lit, dropping English next year. So any advice on self-studying A levels? And what would be a subject that can be easily done? (I hate essay based subject)
Cheers guys.
Original post by LpEtErRL
Hey guys,
I'm thinking about self-studying an A-level subject due to the fact that NewZealand made it compulsory to take AS English so my choice of subjects for AS is very limited. I'm taking physics, but considering my performance in the October exam I just had, I don't think I'm likely to get an A for physics in A-level. I'm currently taking Math, Physics, DesignNTech English Lit, dropping English next year. So any advice on self-studying A levels? And what would be a subject that can be easily done? (I hate essay based subject)
Cheers guys.

Hi.

I know you're already doing it but maths isn't necessarily difficult to self teach, nor is further maths and it may help your chances of getting higher grades in Physics. Other than that a lot of the subjects are pretty essay based, like economics can be good but there are various essay aspects to it.

How would you be self teaching? Would it be through a distance learning provider or just through the use of books and free resources? Because you have to bear in mind that any subjects with a coursework aspect could be tricky to organise (I can't comment on the support available in New Zealand but I know it can be tricky in the UK.

Let me know what you think and we can take it from there :smile:
Reply 2
Hey guys,
Cheers guys.

What course are you thinking of doing at university?

You only need 3 A-levels, so are you looking to replace Physics (that you are studying at school) with something else that you want to self-teach? It would be better to keep Physics and work with your teachers to improve your grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by brainzistheword
Hi.

I know you're already doing it but maths isn't necessarily difficult to self teach, nor is further maths and it may help your chances of getting higher grades in Physics. Other than that a lot of the subjects are pretty essay based, like economics can be good but there are various essay aspects to it.

How would you be self teaching? Would it be through a distance learning provider or just through the use of books and free resources? Because you have to bear in mind that any subjects with a coursework aspect could be tricky to organise (I can't comment on the support available in New Zealand but I know it can be tricky in the UK.

Let me know what you think and we can take it from there :smile:

Thanks for the reply, so I find math quite easy and straightforward at AS level, I was thinking about taking further maths as well, but I heard further math is a really difficult subject even harder than A-level chemistry as this is what I've heard. And I'm also confused about the subject itself, as my school only provides a course called pre-u math, is that the same subject we are talking about? If I really do manage to start self-studying, I might just study from the textbook and stuff, tbh this is what I've done for all my AS subjects, teachers in NewZealand aren't really good at teaching at all, at least in my school.
yes it's hard but possible
Hey guys,
Cheers guys.
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
What course are you thinking of doing at university?

You only need 3 A-levels, so are you looking to replace Physics (that you are studying at school) with something else that you want to self-teach? It would be better to keep Physics and work with your teachers to improve your grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey sorry for the confusion, I'm planning to do architecture or engineering based major. So physics is compulsory for the school I wanna go to for either subject, therefore I have to keep it. I was thinking about picking up another subject to compliment on my uni application. I personally want to pick up chemistry, I signed up for AS chem class in school, possibly finishing A-level myself, is that a good idea?
Reply 6
Original post by CheesyPasty
yes it's hard but possible

So is further math the same as Pre-university math?
You should do sociology it’s really easy to learn. Or religious studies
any uni foundation course is a course that teaches alevel knowledge mostly
So is further math the same as Pre-university math?
Reply 9
Original post by Nasir1738
You should do sociology it’s really easy to learn. Or religious studies

The thing is schools in New Zealand aren't providing that wide range of subjects, so it would be quite difficult to get textbooks for sociology or religious studies, and I really do enjoy calculating things better than writing stuff, so I might just stick with science or math. Thanks for the reply anyways:smile:)
Reply 10
Original post by CheesyPasty
any uni foundation course is a course that teaches a level knowledge mostly

Right thanks:smile:)
Hey guys,
Cheers guys.

Hello! I’m self studying English Literature, and I’ve a friend who is self studying Maths. It really does depend on the subjects. So,

For Eng Lit: Reading the novels and making chapter notes. Summary diagrams of key themes, language in the novel, character analysis, and practice essays.

For maths: Learning the basis of the information, then applying it to practice questions over and over.

Id recommend psychology as a self study subject. It’s fairly content heavy, but it’s just about learning case studies and evaluative points. It’s one that can be done brilliantly with just the textbooks. (AQA exam board) Same with Sociology. History would be similar to Eng Lit. Given you said not essay based subjects, Chemistry may be difficult but also doable.

As is said above, you do only need 3 A-Levels. So focusing on Maths, Physics and D+T may be wise.
Reply 12
A little update from me. I have just looked up my school's time schedule for Further math. It is taught in 3 years, last year being a further math-focused course, because the first two years they are teaching Mechanics as a small portion combined with A-level maths. Also, a school year in New Zealand is shorter than a school year in the UK by almost 2 months I believe. So I've decided to stick with chemistry. Wish me good luck:smile: Thank you for all your help:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by FloralHybrid
Hello! I’m self studying English Literature, and I’ve a friend who is self studying Maths. It really does depend on the subjects. So,

For Eng Lit: Reading the novels and making chapter notes. Summary diagrams of key themes, language in the novel, character analysis, and practice essays.

For maths: Learning the basis of the information, then applying it to practice questions over and over.

Id recommend psychology as a self study subject. It’s fairly content heavy, but it’s just about learning case studies and evaluative points. It’s one that can be done brilliantly with just the textbooks. (AQA exam board) Same with Sociology. History would be similar to Eng Lit. Given you said not essay based subjects, Chemistry may be difficult but also doable.

As is said above, you do only need 3 A-Levels. So focusing on Maths, Physics and D+T may be wise.

Yea thanks, man, I'm actually really jealous of you kids in the UK, my school is starting to shut down some of the Cambridge subjects due to the lack of people taking it, the laziness from the New Zealand pathway is really rubbing off on some people.
Reply 14
Hey sorry for the confusion, I'm planning to do architecture or engineering based major. So physics is compulsory for the school I wanna go to for either subject, therefore I have to keep it. I was thinking about picking up another subject to compliment on my uni application. I personally want to pick up chemistry, I signed up for AS chem class in school, possibly finishing A-level myself, is that a good idea?

No university requires more than three A-levels, and Maths and Physics plus one other is perfect for engineering. With DT also relevent and specifically helping keep your architecture option open (you'll almost certainly need a portfolio when you apply for that). So you are satisfying the requirements already.

Regarding self-teaching: I'd be cautious about Chemistry. That's a trickier choice, and how will you do the practical element?

Further Maths may be a better bet. It's not that big a stretch from Maths and many people self-teach themselves. But *only* if it doesn't distract your primary task which is doing well in your main A-levels.

Quality, not quantity.
Reply 15
Original post by Doonesbury
No university requires more than three A-levels, and Maths and Physics plus one other is perfect for engineering. With DT also relevent and specifically helping keep your architecture option open (you'll almost certainly need a portfolio when you apply for that). So you are satisfying the requirements already.

Regarding self-teaching: I'd be cautious about Chemistry. That's a trickier choice, and how will you do the practical element?

Further Maths may be a better bet. It's not that big a stretch from Maths and many people self-teach themselves. But *only* if it doesn't distract your primary task which is doing well in your main A-levels.

Quality, not quantity.

If I do self-teach AL Chem, the practical part is only showing up in AS level I believe, as I will be taking AS chem anyways(Uni requirement) that won't be a problem. I'm totally aware of the fact that AL chem is quite hard, it's really depending on my grade for this year tho(Coming out in February) If I get a predicted A for physics, ill just stick with my current subject. Thanks for your help:smile:
Stick with Maths (AL), Phy (AL), Chem (AL) and add FM (AS) if your plan is to study in NZ university.
However If your plan is to study in the UK university, you must add FM (AL) otherwise your application will be turned down for sure. I taught A Levels for about 5 years and I've seen many cases where students overestimate their achievements. Dont forget the minimum requirements from any insitutions (esp those in TIMES ranking) do not mean that you will be given an offer if you meet the requirements. You are still competing with many outstanding students internationally.

Quick Reply

Latest