The Student Room Group

Should I go to the hospital?

Yesterday morning I had netball training and within minutes of arriving I fell over. I sort of tripped over my own feet and as I went down my foot when skew-whiff and made a ‘pop’ noise. The pain was excruciating so obviously I sat out of the rest of training with an ice pack but there wasn’t much else I could do.

As the day went on the pain would come and go and sometimes suddenly get really intense. My foot would tingle and get freezing cold in comparison to the other. I had to walk awkwardly because it hurt to put too much weight on to it, and if I try to move my toes it pulls really tight around my ankle and along the right side of my foot (like someone is pulling all the tendons etc towards me).

It’s the next morning now and there is a HUGE bruise. The swelling is quite bad and my toes look a bit purple. Do I have a sprain or a break do you think? And should I go to the hospital?

Thanks in advance, I really hope it isn’t broken because it will put me out of sport for 1-2months and my netball season starts in 1 month :frown: x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellie7868
Yesterday morning I had netball training and within minutes of arriving I fell over. I sort of tripped over my own feet and as I went down my foot when skew-whiff and made a ‘pop’ noise. The pain was excruciating so obviously I sat out of the rest of training with an ice pack but there wasn’t much else I could do.

As the day went on the pain would come and go and sometimes suddenly get really intense. My foot would tingle and get freezing cold in comparison to the other. I had to walk awkwardly because it hurt to put too much weight on to it, and if I try to move my toes it pulls really tight around my ankle and along the right side of my foot (like someone is pulling all the tendons etc towards me).

It’s the next morning now and there is a HUGE bruise. The swelling is quite bad and my toes look a bit purple. Do I have a sprain or a break do you think? And should I go to the hospital?

Thanks in advance, I really hope it isn’t broken because it will put me out of sport for 1-2months and my netball season starts in 1 month :frown: x

Go to hospital. If you wait, it may get worse. Best to get a professional opinion.
Deffo go to the hospital. Don't know why you're doubting tbh.
Reply 3
Original post by Wired_1800
Go to hospital. If you wait, it may get worse. Best to get a professional opinion.

That’s what I thought but I wasn’t sure whether i was just being over dramatic that I should get an X-ray! I don’t want to mess the people at the hospital about though if it’s only a sprain because it’s quire embarassing. My family are out at the moment so I’ll have to wait until one of them arrives back and I’ll get them to give me a lift to the hospital , I will update on here of any news x
Reply 4
Original post by DrawTheLine
Deffo go to the hospital. Don't know why you're doubting tbh.

I was doubting as I’ve sprained my ankle before but it was my first time so it was really painful and we went to the hospital and stayed in the a&e department for 9 hours just for them to tell me it was a bad sprain but not a break, I dont want to waste both mine or the hospitals time if its just a bad sprain!x
Reply 5

If you're unsure whether you should go to the hospital, call 111 or go to the walk-in centre.
Reply 6
Original post by Amefish
If you're unsure whether you should go to the hospital, call 111 or go to the walk-in centre.

I will probably go to a&e. Wish I went yesterday during school hours tbh because this morning/today will be all the alcoholics that have got injured on a night out in there 🤢

Sounds like a brake to be fair you Got to go get that seen to.
That’s what I thought but I wasn’t sure whether i was just being over dramatic that I should get an X-ray! I don’t want to mess the people at the hospital about though if it’s only a sprain because it’s quire embarassing. My family are out at the moment so I’ll have to wait until one of them arrives back and I’ll get them to give me a lift to the hospital , I will update on here of any news x

It is swollen, so you right to check it out. The hospital is there for you to use it. As long as you are not joking around, nobody would fault you.

All the best. Let us know how you get on.
Reply 9
Original post by Volibear
I agree. I would go to hospital but if you are unsure, call 111. They'll probably tell you to go to urgent care but at least you won't feel guilty about time wasting :wink:

Thanks for your opinion! My mum works at the hospital so I might be able to meet her down there tonight when she finishes her shift and get seen quicker. x
Reply 10
Original post by Wired_1800
It is swollen, so you right to check it out. The hospital is there for you to use it. As long as you are not joking around, nobody would fault you.

All the best. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks! I just get worried because as said above, last time I waited 9 hours just to be told itsa bad sprain and that they can’t do anything about it! Part of me hopes it’s a break so when I go I won’t look like I’m just playing it up, but I also hope it’s just a sprain so I can get striaghtback into training in a few weeks!
Can you it get her to come run you down over lunch or somthing?
Thanks for your opinion! My mum works at the hospital so I might be able to meet her down there tonight when she finishes her shift and get seen quicker. x

That's not how it works; you won't get seen any quicker simply because you're related to someone who works in the hospital. You'll be triaged like anyone else.

It might be a sprain or a fracture; it's not possible for anyone on TSR to tell you any more than that.

You haven't made it explicit which part of your foot is actually damaged, though it sounds like it's the foot itself rather than the toes. For toes, the best place for you to go would be to a minor injuries unit, if you have one. If it's the rest of the foot/ankle, you'll need to go to A+E.
go to A&E... take plenty of things to keep you occupied/food & drink as you could be there many hours.
Reply 14
Original post by New- Emperor
Can you it get her to come run you down over lunch or somthing?

No unfortunately shesworking a 12 hour shift x
Reply 15
Original post by *pitseleh*
That's not how it works; you won't get seen any quicker simply because you're related to someone who works in the hospital. You'll be triaged like anyone else.

It might be a sprain or a fracture; it's not possible for anyone on TSR to tell you any more than that.

You haven't made it explicit which part of your foot is actually damaged, though it sounds like it's the foot itself rather than the toes. For toes, the best place for you to go would be to a minor injuries unit, if you have one. If it's the rest of the foot/ankle, you'll need to go to A+E.

Sorry I didnt make it explicit enough, it’s around my ankle and the right part of my foot along to about the middle that is bruised and swollen.
Reply 16
Original post by the bear
go to A&E... take plenty of things to keep you occupied/food & drink as you could be there many hours.

That’s the one thing I hate about a&e, the wait time! Obviously there will always be people with more serious illness/injury than the next but I get easily impatient and it’s so boring being sat in a dull room! I’ll remember to bring food when I go later x
Thanks! I just get worried because as said above, last time I waited 9 hours just to be told itsa bad sprain and that they can’t do anything about it! Part of me hopes it’s a break so when I go I won’t look like I’m just playing it up, but I also hope it’s just a sprain so I can get striaghtback into training in a few weeks!

Let's hope it is a sprain. Breaks aren't good.
Sorry I didnt make it explicit enough, it’s around my ankle and the right part of my foot along to about the middle that is bruised and swollen.

Yeah, should really be A+E then. Just be prepared for a long wait!

Basically you have a choice between hospital and GP who will probably just tell you to go to hospital.
Do you have anything like an urgent treatment near you that covers breaks etc? (some places do, some don't). If you do that would be a better call than A&E.
You could also phone the hospital to ask if it would be okay for you to come in. They might be able to give you a time to come in and save you waiting at A&E or tell you a better place to go.

You do need to be seen though. I can tell you that much. Good luck. Hope you don't have to wait too long and get this sorted soon :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest