The Student Room Group

Just got out after 8 weeks in prison for perverting the cause of justice

I made a post in August regarding a case I had where I needed to attend court.. I thought Id get community service or maybe a fine or something but it didnt happen, In actual fact I did 10 weeks as I spent two on remand prior to the 8. I am wondering is this really going to affect my job prospects?
Most likely yeah. Employers will see you've been in prison and think ehh should I choose the person with no record or the person with? Personally if I was an employer I'd hire the person without a record. However, lots of people rebuild their lives after prison. You didn't go for a violent reason and you didn't spend much time there. You'll find something.
Simplest answer is Yes
Learn your lesson son.
Yeah you’re basically screwed.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Most likely yeah. Employers will see you've been in prison and think ehh should I choose the person with no record or the person with? Personally if I was an employer I'd hire the person without a record. However, lots of people rebuild their lives after prison. You didn't go for a violent reason and you didn't spend much time there. You'll find something.
where do I go from here then, a life of crime? Is that my old choice now? Im hardly hardcore I met people doing time for the most awful crimes surely I cant be compared to them???
Original post by Got Milk
I made a post in August regarding a case I had where I needed to attend court.. I thought Id get community service or maybe a fine or something but it didnt happen, In actual fact I did 10 weeks as I spent two on remand prior to the 8. I am wondering is this really going to affect my job prospects?

how did you post in the past 8 weeks if you were in jail?

You need to leverage the transferrable skills (I hope) you acquired during your sojourn. Use your network of contacts to sound out potential contracts. Clearly, the more flexible you are with assignments and the more prepared you are to get your hands dirty, the better your prospects of gaining top remuneration. See if you can borrow any equipment you may need (white vans are good sources) and go tooled for the job. make sure you get references and a good brief beforehand.
(edited 6 years ago)
where do I go from here then, a life of crime? Is that my old choice now? Im hardly hardcore I met people doing time for the most awful crimes surely I cant be compared to them???

I did say you didn't do something violent. And I did say you'll find something. Attend interviews, dress smartly but don't be afraid to talk about your experience in prison. Don't try and make it a dirty little secret because employers will need to know.

You have a criminal record.
You will have to disclose that record if asked until a certain amount of time has passed.
If employers decide they need to check your record then it will show, depending upon what job you apply for, until its expired and filtered.

Its not a good sort because PTCOJ is a crime of dishonesty and they to relate to your trsutworthiness.

Talk to NACRO

0300 123 1999.
[email protected].

Not everyone asks for criminal record.
If you study hard then you could use up some time and get yourself an education.
No you didn't. /end thread

(The OP makes these type of threads every few months, idk why people fall for it)
Original post by Snufkin
No you didn't. /end thread

(The OP makes these type of threads every few months, idk why people fall for it)

Thanks. Shame they waste peoples time. Its often quicker to answer than trawl their history.
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
Whether or not OP is a troll is often irrelevant. Often it is interesting to discuss hypothetical situations.

Its not when they waste peoples time and other genuine threads go unanswered.

previous flippant comments aside:

Try the armed forces. They are looking for recruits and have a shortage. They will definitely consider you and I'd think you have a very good chance of getting in.

You will gain real skills, self discipline, fitness, camaraderie, travel, health care, education and a salary. Promotion is there for the taking if you have the aptitude and determination.

The more you make of yourself, the easier it will be to wipe the slate clean and integrate back as a valuable civilian.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers

http://www.army.mod.uk/join/26390.aspx
Original post by uberteknik

Try the armed forces. They are looking for recruits and have a shortage. They will definitely consider you and I'd think you have a very good chance of getting in.

You will gain real skills, self discipline, fitness, camaraderie, travel, health care, education and a salary. Promotion is there for the taking if you have the aptitude and determination.

The more you make of yourself, the easier it will be to wipe the slate clean and integrate back as a valuable civilian.

this is excellent advice. the army etc are used to taking in "bad lads" and turning them around.
It will affect your job prospects, but if the employers look at your work history, qualifications and your skills, and depending on the nature of the crime, you do still have a chance of being hired.
Original post by the bear
this is excellent advice. the army etc are used to taking in "bad lads" and turning them around.

Marche ou créve

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/joining-with-a-criminal-record.44207/
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by the bear
crève

:spank:

Sacré bleu. :colondollar:
Reply 19
Original post by uberteknik

That's what I'm doing. I have a criminal record and have done time for GBH. I always wanted to join the Army. I don't know if it's different for other crimes but they make you wait a long time before joining if you have a record - years for me. They will talk to you about it and discuss options with you. I'm 27 now so a bit older than most joining but hoping it works out,

Quick Reply

Latest