The Student Room Group

Opinion on Mathematics

Scroll to see replies

Original post by the bear
it helps me to integrate with other people

It also help differentiate the bad ones from the good.
Original post by Muttley79
It also help differentiate the bad ones from the good.

:teehee:

that strikes a chord.
Original post by Sonechka
now here I am doing further maths :biggrin:

after much harassment
Original post by _gcx
after much harassment

I was going to do it anyway :frown: to impress you
Original post by the bear
:teehee:

that strikes a chord.

Yep, to some degree it gets to the root of the problem.

[My teaching groups love my puns]
Reply 25
I quite like it and I'm studying it at university. Used to hate it at school though.

I love how you can pretty much apply it to other subjects, and situations in life.
:toofunny:

i think you are projecting...
I love it! Mostly because there is generally only one correct answer :smile:
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
i mean no disrespec but i no calculators who solves maths n stuff much more faster than math nerds

maths is just there to make nerds feel happy

yeeee because ur kalculator c4n s0olve all ur maffs problams and dose kalclators n firmware n s0ftwere waz made magikically and totally nat by mathematficians or computah seeontists dat r gut at meffs
I only really started enjoying only when I put effort into the subject.

I've always been good at maths but until year 12 I didn't really take it seriously along with the rest of my subjects, which meant really average/poor grades at GCSE.

I wasn't supposed to be allowed to do further maths because I only got an A at GCSE, but since the teacher had taught me previously and knew I was good, she allowed me to take the course.

It was only about 3/4 of the way through that I became serious in my studies, and I actually ended up enjoying maths, rather than just doing it because I had to. I enjoyed the satisfaction of getting questions right and going over ones I did badly at. Even if I am a bit lazy and sometimes use online answers or friends (I am still really lazy), I never put an answer down unless I 100% understand what is going on.
Maths is in everything, which is probably why I love it now.
Reply 31
For non-brainlets.
perhaps you have, on reflection

SWIDT ?
i reached a turning point after things had gone downhill.
please expand
I can't really put thought to words that well, so I'll make it a deep metaphor.

Me and Maths, this relationship we have, is an abusive one for sure. Every Differentiation application question, every Vector every Induction question, beats me to the ground, but just when I think it's over for me, just when I'm about to drown in past papers, binder notes, tears and my own blood, I get back up, and I pummel the past papers into non existence. Maths truly is an untameable beast, after you do it for long enough, soon everything you look at, everything you know, has a mathematical foundation, computers, ikea flat pack furniture, water bottles. Whenever I try to run, Maths always chases me down; I can never escape.

But despite all Maths' shortcomings, despite how sometimes I want to scream at it, despite how much it beats me to a pulp sometimes, I wouldn't give it up for anything else.

OR MAYBE I'M JUST ****IN RETARDED

From a Further Maths A Level student.
Reply 36
This is your sine: You should carry on making these poor puns.
(edited 6 years ago)
Really fun and interesting subject.
Original post by Desmos
This is your sine: You should carry on making these poor puns.

this thread is going off on a tangent, please desist
Reply 39
Before i didn't mind maths but i didn't particularly find the subject that interesting so i usually used to get 4's in year 10...(thats roughly a C/D in the old syllabus
).But i want to do computer science and to go to a top russel group uni which you normally need to take maths and they highly suggest further maths.
So i decided to research more into maths by watching videos on its applications; thats where i saw the importance of maths and how interesting it could be. Then i had a few other older students push me into doing more maths practice and papers. So through hardwork i got an 8(roughly an A*) for my GCSEs and love the subject. So now i've started year 12 and i decided to pick Maths and Further maths as one of my 4 subject choices and i am hoping to get A's in both subjects this year.

Quick Reply

Latest