The Student Room Group

Do I have to reference the same book twice or more at the end?

In my essay, I've used the same textbook multiple times. I've done in-text references all throughout. But when it comes to listing my references, do I include multiple references for the same book just with different page numbers, or it is one reference but listing the page numbers?

For example, this is the reference for the book: Eysenck, M., Keane, M. (2005) Cognitive Psychology: A Student’s Handbook. 5th edition. East Sussex: Psychology Press Ltd.

So would I just add all the page numbers I've used to one reference or would it be multiple references each for the different page numbers?
Original post by DrawTheLine
In my essay, I've used the same textbook multiple times. I've done in-text references all throughout. But when it comes to listing my references, do I include multiple references for the same book just with different page numbers, or it is one reference but listing the page numbers?

For example, this is the reference for the book: Eysenck, M., Keane, M. (2005) Cognitive Psychology: A Student’s Handbook. 5th edition. East Sussex: Psychology Press Ltd.

So would I just add all the page numbers I've used to one reference or would it be multiple references each for the different page numbers?

Which referencing system are you using?
Original post by claireestelle
Which referencing system are you using?

Harvard system
Harvard system

You need page numbers in text but you don't need to in your reference list I think. If you submit your assignments electronically there's loads of tools online and built into word to do it for you so there's no need to do it yourself :smile:
Just put all the page numbers in one reference.
Original post by claireestelle
You need page numbers in text but you don't need to in your reference list I think. If you submit your assignments electronically there's loads of tools online and built into word to do it for you so there's no need to do it yourself :smile:

You're telling me Word will reference my sources for me? All this time I've been manually doing it and there's actually a way for it to be done automatically? Wow I feel like a dweeb :colondollar:
You're telling me Word will reference my sources for me? All this time I've been manually doing it and there's actually a way for it to be done automatically? Wow I feel like a dweeb :colondollar:

You re not a dweeb :smile: you d have to go look for it to know, depends which version you re using but it's under a referencing tab

Yes, if you use a references manager like Mendeley, you can install a word plugin. You simply press a button to insert an in-text citation (using the referencing system of your choice) and once you're doing, you press another button and it generates a full reference list.

But to answer your question, no, you only reference the book once.
Original post by Plagioclase
Yes, if you use a references manager like Mendeley, you can install a word plugin. You simply press a button to insert an in-text citation (using the referencing system of your choice) and once you're doing, you press another button and it generates a full reference list.

But to answer your question, no, you only reference the book once.

This is great information, thank you so much for helping :biggrin:
I've got Mendeley but it seems like a bit too much hassle having to input all the date in the fields especially when you are trying to cite things from e-journals and websites and things, is there anything easier?I know there is a built in referencing system already in Microsoft Word which is super easy to use, the only issue being that I have handed in an assignment using the Harvard system it states it is using, only my Lecturers tell me the layout is wrong, so can you set it to a different system? that is the actual Harvard referencing system just under a different name or must you try and get used to Mendeley? Is the dilemma I'm having rn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending