The Student Room Group

Oxford; How important is the reference?

As the title says how important is the reference of an applicant? If one has a brilliant reference how great is one's advantage?
Original post by Moriheru
As the title says how important is the reference of an applicant? If one has a brilliant reference how great is one's advantage?

The reference probably isn't generally hugely important, the most important role it will probably play is explaining any extenuating circumstances or other important context if they exist. Having said that, they do read them - I was asked about things that were only mentioned in my reference.
Reply 2
would you say the reference is more or less important than GCSEs? Suppose an applicant has a brilliant reference, basically saying everything Oxford wants to hear and more, could that outweigh bad GCSEs?
Reply 3
would you say the reference is more or less important than GCSEs? Suppose an applicant has a brilliant reference, basically saying everything Oxford wants to hear and more, could that outweigh bad GCSEs?

Basically as Plagioclase has said, a reference might outweigh (or rather contextualise) bad GCSEs if it explains why they are bad ie extenuating personal circumstances/ taken at a low performing school where you outperformed everyone else; and/or why your academic performance at A-level is likely to outweigh the impression given by your GCSE results. If the reference just says you love your chosen subject and are a great team player (or something) without explaining the GCSEs then Oxford has no evidence that they do not reflect your academic ability and the reference is unlikely to convince then otherwise.

I am assuming here that bad genuinely means lower than average for Oxford not the TSR staple "I only got 6 A* and have a B rather than having 15 A*" bad.

It's classed as medium importance on the applicant review (look up by subject), with predicted grades, admissions tests and academic profile being more important. However, they class it as more important than the personal statement and AS module results.

Hope this helped:smile:

What are your GCSEs?
What course do you want to read? Does it have an entrance exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending