The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Studio ghibli
Hi, I’m in yr 12 studying A level: Maths, Chemsitry and Biology, and I’ll hopefully be applying for medicine next year. I have a part time job but I’m currently struggling to find any medical work experience. Does anyone have any tips or advice on finding work experience? And about how much experience should I have in order to make my personal statement stand out?

PHARMACY!! Lol. It's easier to get as an under-18 than lots of other things, and it will help you get other experience later on.

I'm in year 13, just applied, I have ~18 months as a pharmacy counter assistant (paid), 1 week A&E shadowing, 1 week GP/district nurse shadowing and I've had a medical research internship since June/August this year.

Take any opportunity you can get, apply for everything even if you think you've got no chance, and chase people who don't reply to you.

As for your personal statement, there will be a few things that might make you stand out - stuff like high-profile internships, published papers, surgical placements etc - but so few people have those you won't be at a disadvantage without them. The most important thing in the PS is to demonstrate long term commitment to medicine and an understanding of what it involves. It's not WHAT work ex you've don't that matters at all; it's what you can say about it!

Some universities do require specific work ex (e.g. Care homes) or a certain time period (birmingham for example need you to have 2 weeks minimum) but by and large it doesn't really matter - it's the insight you've gained into medicine and your suitability for it that does.

Good luck!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MonteCristo
You asked to meet with one of the doctors to talk about their career?

If I try to get a medical appointment with a doctor they take at least 3 weeks or say ring again. So it's highly unlikely they would let me talk to one about their career.
Original post by magicbeans1212
If I try to get a medical appointment with a doctor they take at least 3 weeks or say ring again. So it's highly unlikely they would let me talk to one about their career.

They are not the same things, though; are they?
They are not the same things, though; are they?

If I can't get an appointment for my health I doubt i'd get one for a chat
If I can't get an appointment for my health I doubt i'd get one for a chat

Why not? There are only "x" number of appointments, which the practice determines based on need and the resources they have available. Your request to talk to a doctor about careers won't be competing with appointments - it will be something they do during their lunch "break" or after work. It is considerably less of a commitment than having someone ask to shadow them for a week, which is what most students ask for.

Some might be too disorganised to reply but I can't imagine many doctors actively refusing such a simple request.
Why not? There are only "x" number of appointments, which the practice determines based on need and the resources they have available. Your request to talk to a doctor about careers won't be competing with appointments - it will be something they do during their lunch "break" or after work. It is considerably less of a commitment than having someone ask to shadow them for a week, which is what most students ask for.

Some might be too disorganised to reply but I can't imagine many doctors actively refusing such a simple request.

Have you tried this?
Have you tried this?

No but I wouldn't turn down such a request and don't think many of my colleagues would either. I would meet with the student and - if I thought they'd be a good candidate for medical school - would probably go out of my way to help them further.

Incidentally, I just looked through my medical school application folder (from 2004) to see how I asked for work experience. I had to write three separate letters to my GP (asking for work experience, not a meeting) and didn't get a reply. I then booked an appointment to discuss some health problem - genuine but perhaps the timing was a little contrived - and he had all three letters on his desk by the time I got into the room.

The least you should expect is a template reply telling you "no". If you haven't had any reply then I'd keep writing. GPs are busy but it only takes an administrator a minute to reply on their behalf.

DOI: Hospital doctor but know lots of GPs.
Reply 27
Original post by LRxS
PHARMACY!! Lol. It's easier to get as an under-18 than lots of other things, and it will help you get other experience later on.

I'm in year 13, just applied, I have ~18 months as a pharmacy counter assistant (paid), 1 week A&E shadowing, 1 week GP/district nurse shadowing and I've had a medical research internship since June/August this year.

Take any opportunity you can get, apply for everything even if you think you've got no chance, and chase people who don't reply to you.

As for your personal statement, there will be a few things that might make you stand out - stuff like high-profile internships, published papers, surgical placements etc - but so few people have those you won't be at a disadvantage without them. The most important thing in the PS is to demonstrate long term commitment to medicine and an understanding of what it involves. It's not WHAT work ex you've don't that matters at all; it's what you can say about it!

Some universities do require specific work ex (e.g. Care homes) or a certain time period (birmingham for example need you to have 2 weeks minimum) but by and large it doesn't really matter - it's the insight you've gained into medicine and your suitability for it that does.

Good luck!!

How did you get to work as a pharmacy counter assistant? Can you do that at age 17? I was going to do the same thing but thought I’d get rejected because I’m not 18
Reply 28
Original post by jesss_
How did you get to work as a pharmacy counter assistant? Can you do that at age 17? I was going to do the same thing but thought I’d get rejected because I’m not 18

I started when I was 16 (didn't even have GCSEs) so it's not illegal or anything. I guess it would depend on the company's policy, but actually it would probably be age discrimination if they didn't hire you based on that.

Initially, I wrote to the head office of the company (Knights) and asked for work ex. I was 15 then. I did a week of work ex and then about 3 months later they offered me a job :biggrin:
No but I wouldn't turn down such a request and don't think many of my colleagues would either. I would meet with the student and - if I thought they'd be a good candidate for medical school - would probably go out of my way to help them further.

Incidentally, I just looked through my medical school application folder (from 2004) to see how I asked for work experience. I had to write three separate letters to my GP (asking for work experience, not a meeting) and didn't get a reply. I then booked an appointment to discuss some health problem - genuine but perhaps the timing was a little contrived - and he had all three letters on his desk by the time I got into the room.

The least you should expect is a template reply telling you "no". If you haven't had any reply then I'd keep writing. GPs are busy but it only takes an administrator a minute to reply on their behalf.

DOI: Hospital doctor but know lots of GPs.

Are you a doctor? That's just you and your colleagues. In general hospitals/doctors don't want someone inconveniencing them. That's the annoying thing I'd rather get a no from a gp then getting no reply. I'm just pester people until they give me something tbh.
Perhaps it's the administration staff then. Hopsitals should display like doctors emails so we can contact them directly
I'll pm you
Reply 32
Tip for GP work ex - write to a surgery that doesn't take patients from your area (many won't take local students as they are more likely to see people they know), and write to the Practice Manager rather than one of the doctors.
Reply 33
I've just completed some work experience at st marys - I'd recommend getting in touch with doctors your family or friends may know, and they also have a specific work experience form. I also attended the carpe diem scholars taster course which was awesome - would defo recommend it. Good luck with interviews etc, luckily in year 12 so have got some time!

Latest

Trending

Trending