The Student Room Group

Is an EPQ too big to do along side 4 A Levels?

So I'm planning on doing Maths, Further Maths, History and Economics at A Level but I'm also interested in doing an EPQ. How much work is an EPQ and would it be doable while also taking 4 A Levels (it's more like 3.5 because Maths and Further Maths have a lot of overlap).
I only do 3 A Levels alongside my EPQ but I haven't found it too much work at all! It hasn't subtracted from my other A Levels, revision or personal break time from work. I've found it to kinda be like just having an extra bit of homework more than an entire new lesson! I guess it will always depend on the person but that's my experience with it so far.
Reply 2
It's very doable if you're organised. I can think of several people who've managed it alongside 5 A levels (always including FM).
Original post by yeahthatonethere
I only do 3 A Levels alongside my EPQ but I haven't found it too much work at all! It hasn't subtracted from my other A Levels, revision or personal break time from work. I've found it to kinda be like just having an extra bit of homework more than an entire new lesson! I guess it will always depend on the person but that's my experience with it so far.

What a levels are you doing?

Original post by theeetimdoherty
So I'm planning on doing Maths, Further Maths, History and Economics at A Level but I'm also interested in doing an EPQ. How much work is an EPQ and would it be doable while also taking 4 A Levels (it's more like 3.5 because Maths and Further Maths have a lot of overlap).

If you find maths easy it shouldn't be too much work for you
Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.
Biology, Chemistry and Psychology.

Oh wow you must just be mad smart then. I do bio chem and maths and it takes ages hehe :smile: do you want to do medicine?
Haha thanks mate. Nah I considered medicine in high school and decided not to do it (I tell people the job's not for me but in reality the course just seemed like too much work lmao). I've instead decided to either do biomedical science or microbiology cause I find diseases and viruses (hence why my EPQ is on this topic) so fascinating and want to go into medical research.

How about you? Do you want to go into medicine?
Haha thanks mate. Nah I considered medicine in high school and decided not to do it (I tell people the job's not for me but in reality the course just seemed like too much work lmao). I've instead decided to either do biomedical science or microbiology cause I find diseases and viruses (hence why my EPQ is on this topic) so fascinating and want to go into medical research.

How about you? Do you want to go into medicine?

yeah thats what I'm hoping to do :smile: I might take an EPQ but it depends on the workload i get in the future tbh
I honestly haven't found it to be too much work! While only very few universities will alter your offer if you have one, it is a great thing to put in the personal statement, I had an entire section just explaining my topic and what skills I've developed because it shows an interest beyond the spec for your courses and helps a lot with research and essay skills. But don't let it be detrimental to your A Levels cause they are the most important and I don't know how much content there is in maths!

Quick Reply

Latest