The Student Room Group

Is there a way to get naturally smart

Some people get top marks without even studying or putting effort in. How do they do that is there any tips etc.

Scroll to see replies

Yes and no
Reply 2
i think those people probably do study and put effort in but maybe they're just not vocal about it.
Reply 3
Either revise very hard and form a habit for acing the exams you're set. OR if you can't stand rote learning take matters into your own hands

For example, in maths the way you do it is to immerse yourself in problems way beyond what you're 'supposed' to know and just accept the feeling of confusion and forget about the notion of 'smart' (who cares?). Then once you do solve it using your own head you'll get a rush and a better appreciation of logical creative mathematical thought. Within a few months, if you have any good sources of inspiration/people to talk to you'll become very smart and will no longer see exams as intimidating compared to the stuff you've done. Hence no need for much revision (yes, you still need to work but the approach is actually enjoyable)

That said you have to keep it up to maintain your chops. Even if you have the potential, if you don't do any work you'll probably quite quickly deteriorate, (like with any subject/hobby)

Another caveat is that there is unfortunately a limit on how smart we can be (some things are basically impossible). Usually this is due to our educational and general life histories more so than genetics, as any honest and self aware 'smart' person will assure you

I should also add is that it is much easier to become smarter when you are happy and content in other aspects of your life. I can confirm this from experience.

And one last thing. At school the vast majority of high scorers on tests do revise a lot. Some may revise more efficiently, others may not. But they all revise enough and enough is usually a lot. In other words, most high achievers are not very smart.
(edited 6 years ago)
the myth of the effortless student. it is just that, a myth. even geniuses like Einstein had to put in the hours to master their subject.
I can confirm that smart people do not work.
Yes im calling myself smart might sound narcissistic but whatever.
Have never revised stuff like maths and sciences and other subjects and have never not got highest scores in class vs ppl who revise 20+ hours a week.

I am not saying that we dnt bother at all and knowledge just teleports into our brain.

How did I become like this.
1)I cut myself of all relationships with people who I deemed as bad people
(In my case everyone non-family. Went to a school half full of crackheads.)
Doesnt mean u shoukd have no social life me just stay away from negative influences.
2)read books.Havent read a book since year 8 yet my repertoire of vocabulary is significantly greater than everyone from my English class.
3)This is most important -Focus hard in lessons.might seem obvious but I nevrr in my life messed aroujd in lesson didnt talk when not doing group work and just concentrated.This saved me so much time if I think about all(yes all) the homeworks I didnt bother doing.It may be hard to not be temoted to mess around /talk 5mins every 60 min lesson but its about willpower.Ofc do talk if u get stuck and that but obvs as a top student I didnt get stuck ^.^

My best word of advice :biggrin:o revise when u need to.Tke it from me.It is not worth it sometimes.I got 2 Bs in my gcses cos I forgot to do last minute revision and I sincerely regret it when I cudda got Ez A*.
While it's nice to think that people like this don't exist, they do. "Becoming naturally smart" is an oxymoron, however, really.
It's a very fine balance between knowledge and strategy, in my opinion. You can be a human encyclopaedia but if you don't approach the question correctly or in the manner that examiners want, then you won't be hitting the top marks. It's a case of knowing what the examiner wants to hear, and adapting whatever knowledge you have to fit that.

Additionally, there are individuals in this world who only need to touch upon a subject in class to be able to fully absorb it all, or, and this is the most likely case, that the individuals who you state don't study or put any effort in do actually study and put effort in, but lie/play it down.
Reply 8
Study?
Reply 9
80-90% of the time when people tell you they don't study, they actually do.
So riddle me this:

You want to

Artificially

Become Naturally smart.

Perhaps your first stage to 'ascension' would be to think before you talk.
Original post by MarkDeathRider
I can confirm that smart people do not work.
Yes im calling myself smart might sound narcissistic but whatever.
Have never revised stuff like maths and sciences and other subjects and have never not got highest scores in class vs ppl who revise 20+ hours a week.

I am not saying that we dnt bother at all and knowledge just teleports into our brain.

How did I become like this.
1)I cut myself of all relationships with people who I deemed as bad people
(In my case everyone non-family. Went to a school half full of crackheads.)
Doesnt mean u shoukd have no social life me just stay away from negative influences.
2)read books.Havent read a book since year 8 yet my repertoire of vocabulary is significantly greater than everyone from my English class.
3)This is most important -Focus hard in lessons.might seem obvious but I nevrr in my life messed aroujd in lesson didnt talk when not doing group work and just concentrated.This saved me so much time if I think about all(yes all) the homeworks I didnt bother doing.It may be hard to not be temoted to mess around /talk 5mins every 60 min lesson but its about willpower.Ofc do talk if u get stuck and that but obvs as a top student I didnt get stuck ^.^

My best word of advice :biggrin:o revise when u need to.Tke it from me.It is not worth it sometimes.I got 2 Bs in my gcses cos I forgot to do last minute revision and I sincerely regret it when I cudda got Ez A*.

Smart my arse. That paragraph you just wrote is awful
Pay attention in class. Like actually make sure you understand everything instead of mindlessly writing things down. Also, more people than you think secretly study, but to appear cool say they didn’t even revise.
Reply 13
Original post by ezaz001
Some people get top marks without even studying or putting effort in. How do they do that is there any tips etc.

do you know those smarties, and when you ask them
"hey how do you revise/what do you do to get smart?"
and they say
"nothing. I actually go on my phone and chill and revise last minute."
********! BS!
They revise 24/7
They get books to read
They cut off social media or hardly use it
They memorise formulas and facts
They feed their brain with knowledge.

Do you know when your out of shape, and you exercise your body to get in shape? You also need to exercise your brain to stay healthy
Your brain is like a muscle. If you train it, it gets bigger and BIGGER. Like biceps.
Original post by iwant2die

Is that what it was? I suppose I did wonder why furiously wiping my screen was having no discernible effect.
Most of those people that "don't revise" but then magically ace all the exams are just lying. Yes there are some people that are naturally more able but I do still they put effort in. Perhaps just less.

I don't think you can force yourself to become naturally smart. I think it comes naturally...

Anyways forget about that very small portion of people that are naturally smart or whatever. The large majority isn't and so if you wanna get good grades then don't be lazy. Study and put effort in.
Any bullcrap you hear about people who don't study and get straight A*s is just that- bull. Sure they might be able to get maybe one or two A*s and A/B/Cs quite easily (memory and repetitive work done in class) but those top grades in everything require effort outside the class.

Take my school for example. In my year there were three people who gained the schools top grades. I got 9 A*s and an A, a girl got 8A*s and 2 As and a boy got 7A*s and three As. (It was a big deal because I went to a **** school in a deprived area). I was told I was not going to achieve anything throughout year 11 but I put the effort in (also self taught a gcse- school was so **** they didn't offer triple science).

The recipe to success was simple. I focused on my self taught subject after school until Christmas to really understand the concepts and then from Jan onwards I revised at least 5 times a week starting at around 5 or 6 and then finishing when I'd completed the topics I had told myself I was going to finish. Sometimes I'd stay up until 2 or 3 or go to sleep at 9 then wake up at 3 to work again for a few hours. (People work differently and my grandad, dad and I have always been able to function on 5 hours of sleep but some people would burn out doing this). I went over each topic in every subject at least 10 times in my own time (maybe another 2 times during class).

I kept envisioning myself on results day looking at an amazing set of results and that spurred me on in an environment where I was surrounded by students my age who's aspirations were to deal drugs or to take them. In no way, shape or form is it easy. I cried, fell asleep on my books, would fall asleep on the sofa or in random places and my family would have to wake me up but it's worth it in the end. I never expected a string of A*s if I'm completely honest, maybe one or two. However, I put my utmost into revision and it paid off! As my dad said 'You're set for life now'.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by iwant2die

Thank you for criticising my use of English in a social media website..
I had literally just done my English gcse resit 1 day before that (got an 8 in the summer series due to illness) and felt tired of English language cos my teacher gave me my exam timetable the day before the exam..had to quickly re memorise the question formats and watch a few long videos on what examiners wanted.very unprepared for it.So when I wrote the response on tsr I was honestly fed up of English for this week...I applaud you for judging my intellect based on 1 post..You will go far in life judging books by their covers.

On a side note,most smart people do not show off their intelligence.In the classroom it may seem like there are hints of narcissim but defo not social media platforms so I dont think your point is valid anyways.Like if you are saying that only the people who write beautiful essays online are smart then im sorry to say you are mistaken.
Their are many people in your surroundings who may appear to you as quiet but maintain vast knowledge.Just cause they havent been approved by your standards of smart may be doesn't mean they are stupid.Its like how a lot of rich people do not display their wealth.

I dont care if you think im smart or not.I dont care about the thoughts of my classmates in real life so why would I care about some online at stranger who judges me by how im typing on my phone. You my English teacher? I dont even listen to him ngl.
Im not starting a fight because im being thr better person,however I plead you to not judge people so quickly, maybe if you had known them for a while itd be acceptable.
I am not here to live upto others standards, by my definition I am smart, from an academic point of view at Least.
Reply 18
Original post by GrapeCrocodile
Any bullcrap you hear about people who don't study and get straight A*s is just that- bull. Sure they might be able to get maybe one or two A*s and A/B/Cs quite easily (memory and repetitive work done in class) but those top grades in everything require effort outside the class.

Take my school for example. In my year there were three people who gained the schools top grades. I got 9 A*s and an A, a girl got 8A*s and 2 As and a boy got 7A*s and three As. (It was a big deal because I went to a **** school in a deprived area). I was told I was not going to achieve anything throughout year 11 but I put the effort in (also self taught a gcse- school was so **** they didn't offer triple science).

The recipe to success was simple. I focused on my self taught subject after school until Christmas to really understand the concepts and then from Jan onwards I revised at least 5 times a week starting at around 5 or 6 and then finishing when I'd completed the topics I had told myself I was going to finish. Sometimes I'd stay up until 2 or 3 or go to sleep at 9 then wake up at 3 to work again for a few hours. (People work differently and my grandad, dad and I have always been able to function on 5 hours of sleep but some people would burn out doing this). I went over each topic in every subject at least 10 times in my own time (maybe another 2 times during class).

I kept envisioning myself on results day looking at an amazing set of results and that spurred me on in an environment where I was surrounded by students my age who's aspirations were to deal drugs or to take them. In no way, shape or form is it easy. I cried, fell asleep on my books, would fall asleep on the sofa or in random places and my family would have to wake me up but it's worth it in the end. I never expected a string of A*s if I'm completely honest, maybe one or two. However, I put my utmost into revision and it paid off! As my dad said 'You're set for life now'.

love your reply and well done
Original post by ezaz001
love your reply and well done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending