The Student Room Group

What should you do when you're nervous to talk to a girl?

How can you make yourself go talk to someone you think looks nice?

A lot of my nights out I see a girl I like, try to psyche myself up to go say hello and then some other guy talks to her instead. Then my night is ruined and I lose all energy.

I've never in my life been able to just walk up to someone and be like hey you look nice what's your name, or whatever.

My mate's girlfriend sometimes talks to them for me and they say to her I should go chat to them, but I feel too nervous and just stay where I am.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

cope

go er
Juuust dooo itttt!
Yesterday you said tommorow
Original post by RockyDennis

A lot of my nights out I see a girl I like, try to psyche myself up to go say hello and then some other guy talks to her instead. Then my night is ruined and I lose all energy.

I've never in my life been able to just walk up to someone and be like hey you look nice what's your name, or whatever.

My mate's girlfriend sometimes talks to them for me and they say to her I should go chat to them, but I feel too nervous and just stay where I am.

Gulp down some water and man up to talk to em. If you pussy out all your life you wont go anywhere.
Drink more.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Gulp down some water and man up to talk to em. If you pussy out all your life you wont go anywhere.

This is what I tell myself every time and I just freeze up. Is there actually any psychological techniques I can use to make things different next time or am I just stuck this way forever?
remember that they want you to talk to them :yep:
Original post by the bear
remember that they want you to talk to them :yep:

I find myself nervous to even talk to girls who smile at me or point me out to their friends or tell my friends they like me. When I do talk it's a struggle, forced conversations, it sucks. I feel I am very ugly and also uncool/inferior.

Is there any legit way out here so I can change things up next time? I doubt any simple affirmation or supportive message will be able to reverse a mindset, especially a strongly-ingrained one.

I may need some sort of psychological techniques I can use on myself. Substances work too, like Ecstasy. Not a sustainable solution though.
If this is always on nights out, is getting more drunk not surely the most logical solution here?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
If this is always on nights out, is getting more drunk not surely the most logical solution here?

Unfortunately not, because when I'm drunk I start slurring and acting weird and then nobody's attracted to me anymore.
I feel I am very ugly and also uncool/inferior.

Are you a looksmaxxer?
Unfortunately not, because when I'm drunk I start slurring and acting weird and then nobody's attracted to me anymore.

Oh you're a slurrer. hm
Reply 13

I do undestand your feeling nervous when it comes to talk to somebody you fancy.. I feel for example much easier to start a conversation with somebody I'm not attracted to.. But if I can suggest .. You should do things gradually, step by step.. And I'm talking about little one, not big one .. Just start with a simple .. 'Hi ..' with a smile .. Then ..'How are your doing..?' And .. who knows.. She might carry on the conversation and do the rest.. Depending on how friendly she is ..

Remember.. A journey of a thousand miles start with a single step..(quote)

Good luck! ✌🏼🍀
(edited 6 years ago)
Chances are the guys they are talking guys to they already know in some capacity or just being polite

Going clubbing is a terrible way to meet girls if your new to the dating game. Try societies or friends of friends.

Even if you get a girls number on a nightout its not a guarantee of a date
Reply 15
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
Drink more.

Ahahah 😂😂🍺🍻🥂🍾🍷 A would suggest just a glass of sparkling red wine for a start! Just that little drizzle of alcohol which will make you just a bit tipsy and buzzed ..This may help you to be a bit more chatty 😜 But Don't exceed and get wasted ! It's not good for you ..
Original post by Ling91
Ahahah 😂😂🍺🍻🥂🍾🍷 A would suggest just a glass of sparkling red wine for a start! Just that little drizzle of alcohol which will make you just a bit tipsy and buzzed ..This may help you to be a bit more chatty 😜 But Don't exceed and get wasted ! It's not good for you ..

Alcohol doesn't help in this way for me tbh. Only Molly does. On Molly I can chat anyone up lmao, probably celebrity models, it's a weird experience.

I think I'm going to have to do this by desensitization. Get over the initially impossible seeming hurdle and then do it 100000 times in a row the same exact thing.

Are there any techniques I can use to psyche myself up so I can do it the first time? I just freeze up completely. Any lifehacks to force yourself to do scary ****?
Red wine to molly. What a state of affairs.
Alcohol doesn't help in this way for me tbh. Only Molly does. On Molly I can chat anyone up lmao, probably celebrity models, it's a weird experience.

I think I'm going to have to do this by desensitization. Get over the initially impossible seeming hurdle and then do it 100000 times in a row the same exact thing.

Are there any techniques I can use to psyche myself up so I can do it the first time? I just freeze up completely. Any lifehacks to force yourself to do scary ****?

Cut out the alcohol for a start - this isnt going to help you in the long term. You've got a problem with confidence in talking to girls, which a lot of people suffer with and becoming only able to talk to them when under the influence of something isn't a great fix.
You need to realise that at nights out people want to be spoken to. Just go up and join a conversation, if it's awkward the first time then try not to think about that and just carry on. Lots of guys struggle with this and the chances are that people engaging in the conversation have felt the same way before. Remember that confidence is your best trait. The more confident you are, the less you're going to think about how you're doing.

:curious:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending