The Student Room Group

Engineering Past Papers Please, Especially Maths, Physics mechanics etc etc

Especially any from Coventry or Teesside where I would like to go.
Original post by bigstu99
Especially any from Coventry or Teesside where I would like to go.

City have uploaded theirs:

http://www.staff.city.ac.uk/~sbbb698/pastexams.html

But these may not be similar to the universities you have listed. It seems the vast majority of universities do not release theirs.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
City have uploaded theirs:

http://www.staff.city.ac.uk/~sbbb698/pastexams.html

But these may not be similar to the universities you have listed. It seems the vast majority of universities do not release theirs.

Cheers, yep I found those as well on google hoping to see some others apparently some are much easier maths than others, aiming to go to the one with the easiest maths, not the best reputation haha.

Anyone else got them from anywhere else

ESPECIALLY CIVIL
Cheers, yep I found those as well on google hoping to see some others apparently some are much easier maths than others, aiming to go to the one with the easiest maths, not the best reputation haha.

Anyone else got them from anywhere else

ESPECIALLY CIVIL

You're doing engineering, if you wanted easy maths you've probably picked the wrong subject.

The maths courses are also designed to be completable by all entrants, so it's sort of a moot point to worry about that kind of thing
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
You're doing engineering, if you wanted easy maths you've probably picked the wrong subject.

The maths courses are also designed to be completable by all entrants, so it's sort of a moot point to worry about that kind of thing

I want to work as a site engineer, I hate maths and I'm not very good but Its a necessary evil to get the course done.

I'm only doing it because I want to be an On site engineer, levelling seting out etc, then progress to section/project engineer.

Not interested in any other part of civil engineering structural etc, just need to pass the maths/physics modules and ace all the rest.

I could go to better unis to do a non eng degree, but I want to be a site engineer so I just want the easiest engineering degree possible.
(edited 6 years ago)
I want to work as a site engineer, I hate maths and I'm not very good but Its a necessary evil to get the course done.

I'm only doing it because I want to be an On site engineer, levelling seting out etc, then progress to section/project engineer.

Not interested in any other part of civil engineering structural etc, just need to pass the maths/physics modules and ace all the rest.

I could go to better unis to do a non eng degree, but I want to be a site engineer so I just want the easiest engineering degree possible.

The problem with that is degrees are designed to be general, to introduce you to many careers within a given field. If you struggle with or have little interest in more than one or two topics, then you will struggle considerably in the degree, and if you can't do well in a degree then you won't get the career at the end.

What exactly is it about being a site engineer that you find attractive? Have you worked with lots of site engineers? Seen what they do?

You could also look into degree apprenticeships, which leave out the less relevant content. So if maths isn't useful for the position, you won't learn as much maths.
Reply 6
Original post by Helloworld_95
The problem with that is degrees are designed to be general, to introduce you to many careers within a given field. If you struggle with or have little interest in more than one or two topics, then you will struggle considerably in the degree, and if you can't do well in a degree then you won't get the career at the end.

What exactly is it about being a site engineer that you find attractive? Have you worked with lots of site engineers? Seen what they do?

You could also look into degree apprenticeships, which leave out the less relevant content. So if maths isn't useful for the position, you won't learn as much maths.

Being outdoor rather than the office, setting out levelling etc. Implementing the design rather than being a designer Also a relatively simple progression (if you stick in for long enough and prove reliable) site then section then project engineer/manager. Looked at Degree apprenticeships, they also do the maths modules.

Opportunity to work freelance one experienced for like 200-300 pounds per day, hopefully on 6 month contract.

The only downside is the hours can be like 10-12 sometimes and they make you do weekends sometimes

Academically I'd be more suited to a construction management degree. However this may hinder me from becoming and progressing as a site engineer.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Being outdoor rather than the office, setting out levelling etc. Implementing the design rather than being a designer Also a relatively simple progression (if you stick in for long enough and prove reliable) site then section then project engineer/manager. Looked at Degree apprenticeships, they also do the maths modules.

Opportunity to work freelance one experienced for like 200-300 pounds per day, hopefully on 6 month contract.

The only downside is the hours can be like 10-12 sometimes and they make you do weekends sometimes

Academically I'd be more suited to a construction management degree. However this may hinder me from becoming and progressing as a site engineer.

But you don't want to be an engineer, it sounds like you actually want to be a construction manager.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Doonesbury
But you don't want to be an engineer, it sounds like you actually want to be a construction manager.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do want to be an engineer just not the design/consultancy type as I really would not be good at that and would also dislike it, as I have 0 talent for that sort of thing.

Site engineering is what I want to do as even though you are outside, you set out and have other technical duties and responsibilities, e.g. checking the drawings and work are matching and dimensional control.

It does have some crossover with construction management yes as you will be one of the site managers assistants, however if I was to be a construction manager, I'd feel a lot more secure if I had a technical site engineering background first as Its a good background to have, plus if you don't get the job as the site manager, or lose it you have a solid skill to fall back on.

Whereas I'd feel very insecure about being a construction manager without the site eng background. For building projects it would be ok, but for CIVILS you wouldn't be taken serious without the engineering background?

As site engineering are sort of site managers, but site engineers have a bit more technical rather than being management focused.
Reply 9
I do want to be an engineer just not the design/consultancy type as I really would not be good at that and would also dislike it, as I have 0 talent for that sort of thing.

Site engineering is what I want to do as even though you are outside, you set out and have other technical duties and responsibilities, e.g. checking the drawings and work are matching and dimensional control.

It does have some crossover with construction management yes as you will be one of the site managers assistants, however if I was to be a construction manager, I'd feel a lot more secure if I had a technical site engineering background first as Its a good background to have, plus if you don't get the job as the site manager, or lose it you have a solid skill to fall back on.

Whereas I'd feel very insecure about being a construction manager without the site eng background. For building projects it would be ok, but for CIVILS you wouldn't be taken serious without the engineering background?

As site engineering are sort of site managers, but site engineers have a bit more technical rather than being management focused.

But engineering is applied maths & physics. If you want to be an engineer you need to embrace it :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest