The Student Room Group

gap year in China and feeling really lonely and need help

I decided to go to China on my own, which I thought I would be fine doing. But I have been here for only 4 days and I hate it and want to go home already! I don't like how I can't speak to anyone English. Any tips to get me through the first couple weeks
First few days are always difficult anywhere you go on your own - it is really a test of character. Try to find some student club or organisations that might have a club where they want to practice english. Sometimes you can find student/ groups on trip adviser who will guide people round in exchange for speaking english. Might be a way of meeting some new friends. But keep trying, it will get better.
Reply 2
Thank you, yes that's what I'll do. I am just finding it hard to even search for things as everything is blocked on the Internet in China, I am now getting a VPN tho. Thanks for the reply, means a lot
Reply 3
Original post by Jackhud147
I decided to go to China on my own, which I thought I would be fine doing. But I have been here for only 4 days and I hate it and want to go home already! I don't like how I can't speak to anyone English. Any tips to get me through the first couple weeks

Is there a university near to you? Lots of Chinese like to practice English - try googling with the town name or posting on DavesEFLcafe etc and I'm sure there is a great place to meet Chinese students learning English who would love to spend time with you. Likely there is also a bar where other foreigners go so worth finding it while you are new there.
Heyyy do you need any help? I'm half Chinese and I go to China regularly. Are there any questions you'd like to ask (I must admit I'm not an expert but hey, I'll give it a go:biggrin:)
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Is there a university near to you? Lots of Chinese like to practice English - try googling with the town name or posting on DavesEFLcafe etc and I'm sure there is a great place to meet Chinese students learning English who would love to spend time with you. Likely there is also a bar where other foreigners go so worth finding it while you are new there.

Thanks I'll give that website a go. I think once I start meeting expats I'll be fine, it's just really hard to meet new people when no one knows a word you are saying
Reply 6
Original post by Sakura Blossom
Heyyy do you need any help? I'm half Chinese and I go to China regularly. Are there any questions you'd like to ask (I must admit I'm not an expert but hey, I'll give it a go:biggrin:)

That is very kind! What part of China are you from? I am staying in Guangzhou
What are you doing in China? Just travelling? Join in with some sort of group travel (google 'Adventure Travel' and 'China').

What you are experiencing is (very normal) homesickness/culture shock.
It will get better - stick with it. If you run away now, you'll always feel you 'failed' without giving it a chance.
Reply 8
Yes I am, do you think HK will feel anymore like home? I think it would be a good way to get my mind off things
Reply 9
Original post by returnmigrant
What are you doing in China? Just travelling? Join in with some sort of group travel (google 'Adventure Travel' and 'China').

What you are experiencing is (very normal) homesickness/culture shock.
It will get better - stick with it. If you run away now, you'll always feel you 'failed' without giving it a chance.

I am teaching English in a school, so I'm hoping that I will soon make some new English friends. I know I need to stick out but I'm not sure I want to do something that isn't enjoyable

but I'm not sure I want to do something that isn't enjoyable

You have only been there 4 days .....
Reply 11
I was in Japan recently and it is very daunting but trust me stick through the first few days and it'll be an amazing experience. Going with someone else probably would have been best but there'll definitely be events on. Try the apps, meetup and couchsurfing. Those are my go tos when travelling. Good luck!
That is very kind! What part of China are you from? I am staying in Guangzhou

My Mom's side of the family is from Chengdu in Sichuan :smile:
Yeah it can be a shock arriving somewhere like China for the first time. Try to meet other Westerners in hostels or social meet ups. Maybe book a tour in your spare time too so you get an English speaking group. Try to stick it out and see how it goes.
Reply 14
You shouldn't expect others to speak English in China; it may have been advantageous to learn some basic Mandarin prior to you departing, so it makes interaction with natives easier.
Reply 15

It might be worth checking out InterNations, an organisation that puts ex-pats in touch with each other. It's for people of all ages

https://www.internations.org/guangzhou-expats/british
Reply 16
Yes I am, do you think HK will feel anymore like home? I think it would be a good way to get my mind off things

Be careful, though, as if your Chinese VISA is only for single-entry, you won't be able to go back in after going to Hong Kong.
So how are you getting along - have you settled in more? Things improved?

Quick Reply

Latest