The Student Room Group

The real agenda about the sexual scandal hypersensitivity

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ByEeek
And let me spell it out to you - there is no place for putting your hands on anyone in a professional environment!! I am not suggesting that no touching be allowed ever. I am however suggesting that there is no place for it in the workplace.

Please enlighten me - apart from a formal handshake, just exactly when would it be appropriate for a male MP to place his hand on the knee of his female office assistant in the Palace of Westminster? When?

Michael Fallon did not resign because he touched his wife or gave his best mate a hug!

Well you surely must stick to your convictions then and never date or sleep with anyone from your college because it’s supposed to be a professional place.
Original post by yudothis
Who said women want men. Period. Why is all you think about how to "get" women?

No I’m long term taken. I am just commenting on the ongoing social situations. Yes most women want a man and most men want a women. Fact. That’s a given. The discussion is about persecuting men for things that are a normal part of male / female dynamics, for when they happen to be rejected.
Original post by Airplanebee2
The discussion is about persecuting men for things that are a normal part of male / female dynamics, for when they happen to be rejected.

But that isn't the problem and never has been.
No I’m long term taken. I am just commenting on the ongoing social situations. Yes most women want a man and most men want a women. Fact. That’s a given. The discussion is about persecuting men for things that are a normal part of male / female dynamics, for when they happen to be rejected.

That wasn't my point.

Why do you assume all your social interactions with women must be about getting them. Especially at work. Or randomly in the street.
Well you surely must stick to your convictions then and never date or sleep with anyone from your college because it’s supposed to be a professional place.

Yes. I work in a school. I don't touch the kids. I don't touch my colleagues. For the students, the rules are a bit different, but still kind of apply in front of the law. But when you get a job and work in an office, you keep your hands to yourself.
Original post by yudothis
That wasn't my point.

Why do you assume all your social interactions with women must be about getting them. Especially at work. Or randomly in the street.

Who said I assume that. I have female friends you know. I’m talking about a specific social situations, where a man desires something more and a women doesn’t and

Flirtatious behaviour + women likes = fun

Flirtatious behaviour + women dislikes = sexual harassment case

That is not right
Original post by ByEeek
Yes. I work in a school. I don't touch the kids. I don't touch my colleagues. For the students, the rules are a bit different, but still kind of apply in front of the law. But when you get a job and work in an office, you keep your hands to yourself.

Adults shouldn’t flirt with kids. Adults do flirt with adults.
Who said I assume that.

That's the impression I get too.

No one has said that. But from experience, there are a minority of men who don't take the word no for an answer. That for me, is when it becomes harassment. Not just because I dislike him.
Original post by Tiger Rag
No one has said that. But from experience, there are a minority of men who don't take the word no for an answer. That for me, is when it becomes harassment. Not just because I dislike him.

Not taking no for an answer and harassing someone is harassment ok.

Putting your hand of someone’s knee that you think you might be flirting with then taking no for an answer is something else.

What this boils down to is that women’s rights is more important than men’s bloody lives.
(edited 6 years ago)

Putting your hand of someone’s knee that you think you might be flirting with then taking no for an answer is something else.

What is it if it's not harassment or indeed sexual harassment?
Original post by Tiger Rag
What is it if it's not harassment or indeed sexual harassment?

It’s a rejected sexual advance.

For you to be born, a series of sexual acts happened and they started from a single act, and a man had to initiate it, and there would probably not have been any defined relationship when the first touch was done.
(edited 6 years ago)
Let’s be clear, people who go around clubs randomly touching strangers, or people who should obscenities at people are idiots. Simple as.

But that's your subjective opinion! People at the receiving end of a slap on the bum or other obscenities should stop being so hypersensitive; it's normal lad behaviour. Don't report and ruin a poor drunk guy's life! It's not okay to dehumanise gropers, it's not like they're actually raping them right? /s

What we are saying is that there is situation in the male / female dynamics whereby men make a clumsy or mistaken sexual approach which is then rejected.

You seem to be saying it’s OK to ruin these men’s lives over this.

Who are "we"? I'm in agreement with the law and workplace policies regarding sexual harassment. Putting aside the fact that even conservative estimates suggest 1 in 5 women have been sexually harassed in the workplace and feel too intimidated to report it, it's always a good thing when ignorant, entitled people are penalised for actions which often escalate if they go unreported. Clumsiness is never an excuse. Again, keep your hands on yourself if you don't want to ruin your life.

It is not Ok. It a complete lack of empathy for a person who is behaving like everyone else behaves.

1) Not everyone behaves like this. Stop projecting your creepiness onto other men.

2) Even if everyone else behaves like this, it's still a fallacious appeal to popularity. By the same popularity appeal, it should be okay to grope people in clubs and catcall on the streets. The fact that 20-50% of women feel sexually harassed in professional settings should tell you just how receptive they are to what you consider to be normal, everyday behaviour. Are all these women hypersensitive, despite the fact that they're usually too scared to report anything lest it triggers a psycho male colleague who will almost certainly escalate, or harms their career?

3) Empathy is defined as "the ability to understand and share the feelings of another". Where's your empathy when you normalise sexual harassment just to score a few points against SJWs by openly welcoming Trump, who has privately bragged about being able to get away with sexual harassment based on his celebrity status? Look at all this ****. inb4 FAKE NEWS HURR DURR

Let me put it another way for unempathetic agenda driven people. Man is talk to a women and makes a sexual move. It is accepted and both live happily ever after. The second story, it is rejected. Why would you want to ruin the guys life?

No, it's not acceptable in either case. That's like saying the existence of rape victims who fall in love with their rapists and get married is sufficient to accept rape in general. Your absurd hypothetical situations lead to equally absurd conclusions if we stick to your logic. This is why Michael Fallon has rightly quit.

I will tell you why.

This is by far the most pathetic attempt at poisoning the well that I've across so far on this forum, and that's saying something. Your gish gallop is utterly irrelevant to the topic at hand, but I'll address it anyway.

Because under your theory of life there are oppressor groups (males, whites, Christians) and oppressed grounds (females, blacks, gays, Muslims) and when you pitch them against each other you want to always uplift the oppressed group and punish the oppressor group. For example a judge gets one of those Christian ethnics versus gay ethnics cases, almost always he will go to uphold the gay ethnics.

What exactly is my theory of life? How did you manage to construct this conspiracy theory strawman about my personal socio-political beliefs based on our interaction so far? All I've done is argue against your defence of sexual harassment in the context of the Westminister sex scandal (and by extension, sexual harassment in the workplace), whereby I've reaffirmed common decency, workplace policies, and the law. Pretty much every nation on Earth agrees that unwanted physical contact and inappropriate sexual advances constitute sexual harassment, which leads to a hostile environment. Sounds reasonable. But since you've failed to address the substance of our arguments, you had to resort to disingenuous identity politics by attributing to me what you consider to be the typical features of a so-called SJW. No one mentioned males, Christians, "whites and blacks", Muslims, gays, etc. I've personally lauded and criticised both Christianity AND Islam in the religion sub-section of this forum; I've called out sexism on both sides and have argued for both feminism and men's rights; I've condemned racism and prejudice in all its forms, regardless of the victims' skin colour. It's a shame you've fully immersed yourself in the "us vs them" mentality where you're unable to critically analyse specific issues on their own terms (i.e. conflating defending sexual harassment with your generic alt-reich agenda).

For this reason you have no empathy for a man who simply made a rejected advance. You have convinced yourselves to think that the polish on the woman’s shoe is more important than the man’s entire life.

I don't have sympathy for those who're ignorant and arrogant enough to commit sexual harassment and then cry about the consequences, if they're ever even reported. I don't care about the gender of the perpetrator; as a man I've been sexually harassed in clubs by women so stfu with your mindless presumptions. Of course, statistics suggest that sexual harassment in general is an issue that affects women in greater number and intensity than men, but you already know that. Now what card are you going to play?

Basically you’re an unempathetic bigot.

:lol: pot, kettle, black

It’s no different to a recent episode at a Canadian university where someone put up a posted saying “It’s OK to Be white”. It was called a racist incidental and the police were called.

What does this have to do with the Westminister sex scandal? You do realise the posters were designed by edgelords on 4chan who, ironically love to see themselves as victims? Calling the police was an overreaction, but while the poster itself was not racist, it would be highly disingenuous to deny that it was designed to be inflammatory.

You are bigot s to men and probably bigoted to whites and Christians. You are probably one of those people who want to give someone a medal if they refer to Southern White American Christians as as backward inbreds while saying Islam is a shining beacon of civilisation.

More poisoning the well, strawmanning, and red-herrings. Keep the fallacies coming, genius!
(edited 6 years ago)
Adults shouldn’t flirt with kids. Adults do flirt with adults.

Agreed on both counts. But there is a time and a place for everything. And even in a nightclub it isn't a case that every women there wants her bum pinched - something that sadly some men just can't get the hang of.
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed on both counts. But there is a time and a place for everything. And even in a nightclub it isn't a case that every women there wants her bum pinched - something that sadly some men just can't get the hang of.

You’re off point. This bum pinching thing. I’m not an advocate of it. It usually implies being a prick to a stranger.

The social situations we are discussion are between non-strangers.

Bottom line: it’s a sexual advance if the woman likes it, is harassment if the woman doesn’t like it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Bottom line: it’s a sexual advance if the woman likes it, is harassment if the woman doesn’t like it.

Could you please name one woman, or man for that matter, who wants unprovoked sexual advances at work?
Who said I assume that. I have female friends you know. I’m talking about a specific social situations, where a man desires something more and a women doesn’t and

Flirtatious behaviour + women likes = fun

That is not right

Never heard of someone having a sexual harassment case for "flirting".
Original post by ByEeek
Could you please name one woman, or man for that matter, who wants unprovoked sexual advances at work?

No one does. We are not discussing situations where someone comes up to someone at their desk and puts their hand down their top.

We are talking about adult making passes at adults in social situations, parties, events, at trips to the pub, when they happen to be related through work in some way.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
More poisoning the well, strawmanning, and red-herrings. Keep the fallacies coming, genius!

I will ask you a very straightforward question.

If you were a man, how would you attempt initiate sexual relations with a woman you were talking to?

Would you ask her to sign a consent form? Or would you just turn gay to avoid these seemingly new world horrors that can go with rejection?
(edited 6 years ago)
I will ask you a very straightforward question.

If you were a man, how would you attempt initiate sexual relations with a woman you were talking to?

Would you ask her to sign a consent form? Or would you just turn gay to avoid these seemingly new world horrors that can go with rejection?

If I were a man? I am a man, in a perfectly healthy relationship that didn’t start with me making lewd sexual comments and/or invading someone’s personal space to display my power by touching anyone. Have you tried asking someone out, I don’t know....wait for it....by getting to know them like a decent person?

Now let me ask you a question; since you’ve proven your incompetence in actually engaging with the substance of my argument, I’ll keep it simple for you:

Do you think the Westminster sex scandal has anything to do with the appropriate manner of asking a co-worker out?
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
If I were a man? I am a man, in a perfectly healthy relationship that didn’t start with me making lewd sexual comments and/or invading someone’s personal space to display my power by touching anyone. Have you tried asking someone out, I don’t know....wait for it....by getting to know them like a decent person?

Now let me ask you a question; since you’ve proven your incompetence in actually engaging with the substance of my argument, I’ll keep it simple for you:

Do you think the Westminster sex scandal has anything to do with the appropriate manner of asking a co-worker out?

I am in a long term relationship and don’t seek out anyone so it doesn’t really apply to me these days. If I was single I would just spend time with a woman and then make a move.

So let’s not dodge the question. At some point in time you will have made a move in your misses. Did you get her to sign a consent form?

As to the second part, what is appropriate and what is inappropriate. Once I was walking through Hyde Park and an extremely almost unreality heavy rain stared. I headed to the nearest tree and shorty after than a young pretty single woman headed there. We talked for a couple of minutes and then it just seemed right to kiss she reciprocated. It was a real proper long kiss. We sealed numbers after but I never followed up, because it seemed good for the moment.

Is that appropriate / inappropriate?

Supposing she has not keen on the move, would I then deserve to have my life ruined and be paraded on the BBC (British broadcasting of cultural-Marxism) channel.

Who knows in the terms of all this P.C. bull ? I live my life as much agains those PC principles as I can.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending