The Student Room Group
Reply 1
This completely depends on how busy your teachers are, and so other people's experiences are irrelevant
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
This completely depends on how busy your teachers are, and so other people's experiences are irrelevant

Just want to get a second opinion / story. Apparently I can't talk without being bashed for every single TSR post I make.
Reply 3
Original post by Agent007
Just want to get a second opinion / story, jesus christ. Apparently I can't talk without being bashed for every single TSR post I make.

Lmao

My tutor said it takes about 5 days...
Reply 4
Original post by Juno

Lovely person you are mate.
You have until 15 Jan to send your application.

Universities do not 'run out of offers' - and it isnt 'First one to get an offer is the winner'.

Stop panicking.
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
You have until 15 Jan to send your application.

Universities do not 'run out of offers' - and it isnt 'First one to get an offer is the winner'.

Stop panicking.

Our school has been rushing us since day 1 and been telling us things like "the earlier you apply, the better the chance of you getting an offer, spaces/offers are limited" and so many people already got offers from KCL, Warwick etc like a month and a half ago, maybe different schools react differently.

Besides I have a panic disorder so I can't really help but being anxious over these things, swear to God the wait is gonna kill me.
Reply 7
Our school has been rushing us since day 1 and been telling us things like "the earlier you apply, the better the chance of you getting an offer, spaces/offers are limited" and so many people already got offers from KCL, Warwick etc like a month and a half ago, maybe different schools react differently.

Besides I have a panic disorder so I can't really help but being anxious over these things, swear to God the wait is gonna kill me.

Well, you should be mad at your school then, rather than people on tsr who give up their spare time to help applicants
Our school has been rushing us since day 1 and been telling us things like "the earlier you apply, the better the chance of you getting an offer, spaces/offers are limited" .

Its total and utter bunkum. Unis do not 'run out of offers'. If you apply before 15 Jan you have exactly the same chance of an offer as someone who applied in October.

Schools do this because they know many teenagers have the sense of urgency of a maggot and will leave everything until the last minute.
They (the teachers) want to get 'applying' out of the way, and to get you all focussed on A levels, not fussing about UCAS.
And understandably they dont want to spend their Christmas hols writing your reference.
Reply 9
Original post by Texxers
Lovely person you are mate.

Thank you :-)

It's nice to be appreciated for all the efforts I put into helping applicants on TSR. I spend hours replying, researching, checking facts, checking how things actually work on the ucas website etc. I don't get paid for it - it's all voluntary. And many applicants just take the advice and are ungrateful.
Reply 10
Original post by returnmigrant
Its total and utter bunkum. Unis do not 'run out of offers'. If you apply before 15 Jan you have exactly the same chance of an offer as someone who applied in October.

Schools do this because they know many teenagers have the sense of urgency of a maggot and will leave everything until the last minute.
They (the teachers) want to get 'applying' out of the way, and to get you all focussed on A levels, not fussing about UCAS.
And understandably they dont want to spend their Christmas hols writing your reference.

Honestly makes sense, from the way that they were rushing us I thought that the actual deadline was 1st November, checked online and it was January so I honestly was a little confused. I'm not even an early applicant so why on Earth were they rushing me? Ugh, unnecessary stress.
Reply 11
Original post by Juno
Thank you :-)

It's nice to be appreciated for all the efforts I put into helping applicants on TSR. I spend hours replying, researching, checking facts, checking how things actually work on the ucas website etc. I don't get paid for it - it's all voluntary. And many applicants just take the advice and are ungrateful.

Pretty sure he's being sarcastic, look at the above posts
With out sixth form we have one teacher in charge of all our UCAS, so we payed the £24 in order for it to be sent off. She checks it to make sure everything is correct, but me and a few students had a deadline on the 15th of October and I sent mine on the Friday (two days before the deadline) while the rest sent it on Saturday, we all had a confirmation on UCAS on the following Sunday, the unfortunate news is I think we gave the poor lady a heart attack.
(edited 6 years ago)
Honestly makes sense, from the way that they were rushing us I thought that the actual deadline was 1st November, checked online and it was January so I honestly was a little confused. I'm not even an early applicant so why on Earth were they rushing me? Ugh, unnecessary stress.

Are you sure? When I was on UCAS track many people had been declined from their university course due there not being any space available, also I've applied to a course before the 15th of October and now have an unconditional offer and the original deadline was on the 15 of January so if they're already accepting people onto a course won't the spaces run out?
(edited 6 years ago)
Your schools probably encouraging you to apply as early as you can so you can concemtrate on exams after its all sent off.
Original post by Rebeccasomething
Are you sure? When I was on UCAS track many people had been declined from their university course due there not being any space available, also I've applied to a course before the 15th of October and now have an unconditional offer and the original deadline was on the 15 of January so if they're already accepting people onto a course won't the spaces run out?

Yes, but they have to leave offers for people applying- supposed to be equal consideration- by the 15th January
Original post by Rebeccasomething

so if they're already accepting people onto a course won't the spaces run out?

Unis make gradual offers and no, they dont run out of offers. Offers do not = places because not all offers will go Firm and not all Firms will get their grades in August.

They rank all applications and re-rank as new ones come in, gradually making offers to top scorers and eventually they will start rejecting those at the bottom. They will adjust the number of offers they are making depending on how many of the early offers go Firm/Insurance in the New Year and this is why many people will be on hold until March/April before they get a definite yes or no.

Universities do know what they are doing. They have been 'doing UCAS' a great deal longer than you have.

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
I have tidied this thread up a bit.

It's regretable to point out that some folks on this thread need to appreciate the advice and assistance given freely, and accurately, by others for their benefit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Doonesbury
I have tidied this thread up a bit.

It's regretable to point out that some folks on this thread need to appreciate the advice and assistance given freely, and accurately, by others for their benefit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's regrettable that people think it's okay to be nasty on the internet just because they don't actually talk to us in real life.
Reply 19
It's regrettable that people think it's okay to be nasty on the internet just because they don't actually talk to us in real life.

In my view, Juno's reply is accurate and not nasty at all.

Original post by Juno

However, if you wish to discuss it further please use AskTheCT.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/help/ask-the-community-team

I'm closing this thread now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending