The Student Room Group

Does anyone else ever feel like they're not smart enough?

I used to think I was quite clever - I achieved top GCSE grades and used to be top of the class for everything. Ever since year 12, I can't help but think I have fallen behind my peers and I hate the feeling. Do any of you feel the same way? How do you deal with this?

Scroll to see replies

Work harder, i'm not the smartest, but when i put in the effort, i get better grades etc
yeah i feel the same way. i'm just trying to ignore it and focus on myself.
Reply 3
I want to get better though. How many hours should I be spending on work/revision a day? For GCSEs, I revised last minute by reading the textbook, which I understand I can't do for A levels/ further education.
Original post by student7659
I used to think I was quite clever - I achieved top GCSE grades and used to be top of the class for everything. Ever since year 12, I can't help but think I have fallen behind my peers and I hate the feeling. Do any of you feel the same way? How do you deal with this?

How do you deal with this? Work harder.
I honestly agree. I want to do maths at university.

Then I see everyone on this site and some of the people who are better than me in my classes and I just feel whats the point.

For example I'm currently struggling with applications because the majority dont have B's in them and although I have one A* prediction, I feel that it is not enough and if i bother I will probably just get rejected by all the unis that I apply to.
I was wrong about A-level chemistry, still my favourite subject but it's hard as **** especailly organic and amount of substance :angry:
Honestly its not about being the best or the top of the class its just about YOU achieving what YOU want. Having the mindset of 'being the top of the class' will bring you down sooner or later because you'll never be satisfied with your results. Yes, sometimes things are hard and sometimes i wish i could just grasp a concept just like others in my class....but it doesnt mean im not smart it may just mean i take longer to understand certain things. At the end of the day if i've achieved what i wanted to achieve ,big or small, i feel happy and as a result i feel smart. Just remember its how you use that intelligence to get u places. So no i dont ever feel like im not smart enough because i know that its not because im stupid its because i just dont get it as quick as others. The same will happen to someone else. I'll get it and it will take someone a bit longer to understand.I've trained myself to appreciate myself because in the past 'feeling dumb and not smart enough' has certainly pulled down and made me have breakdowns which i dont want to experience again now im in yr 10.:biggrin:

Sorry for the speech i went to deep lol
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Maybe the people in your class are feeling the same thing, causing them to work harder to achieve higher than others causing a domino effect. idk hehe
Reply 9
Original post by GCSE 9
I was wrong about A-level chemistry, still my favourite subject but it's hard as **** especailly organic and amount of substance :angry:

I feel the same about Chemistry, although it's probably not my favourite subject. No matter how much I try, I don't see myself improving and it's so frustrating!
Reply 10
Well sometimes, when I don't even study enough.
Just had a test in maths, and got an E in it - but that grade is all my fault.
Original post by A.N123
Honestly its not about being the best or the top of the class its just about YOU achieving what YOU want. Having the mindset of 'being the top of the class' will bring you down sooner or later because you'll never be satisfied with your results. Yes, sometimes things are hard and sometimes i wish i could just grasp a concept just like others in my class....but it doesnt mean im not smart it may just mean i take longer to understand certain things. At the end of the day if i've achieved what i wanted to achieve ,big or small, i feel happy and as a result i feel smart. Just remember its how you use that intelligence to get u places.

Sorry for the speech i went to deep lol

I needed to hear this! :ta:
This happened to me when I went to university, and I went from being lauded as top of the class to distinctly average. I would detest myself for not being able to match up to my peers, but I realised that this self-doubt was causing me to approach my studies with a bit of carelessness (as in, 'what's the point of putting effort in if I won't be top of the class anyway?'). When I started viewing it as a challenge, and used it as motivation, I did my best work, but I still couldn't reach their level. I just began to accept that I couldn't match them in academic ability, and realised that as long as I was proud of my work, as long as I was achieving what I was personally capable of, then I was perfectly happy.

It's easier said than done, but try and avoid comparison with your peers as much as possible. It's incredibly self-destructive. Push yourself to achieve what you're capable of, use your own past grades as motivation.
I needed to hear this! :ta:

Aw no problem! I just got kinda touched by your post and it made me remember when i was younger and felt dumb and all so thank you actually!:biggrin:
I felt this way throughout my A-levels :frown:
I didnt get the best AS grades and my school only seemed to care about those who were getting A*s and As...
I thought that I wasn't good enough to get into uni but I just kept carrying on trying to get the best grade I could possibly get
I got BBC (and a C in Geography which I was srsly expecting to fail) and got into uni so as long as you keep working hard, theres no reason why you cant make it :h:
Original post by Nucleolus
This happened to me when I went to university, and I went from being lauded as top of the class to distinctly average. I would detest myself for not being able to match up to my peers, but I realised that this self-doubt was causing me to approach my studies with a bit of carelessness (as in, 'what's the point of putting effort in if I won't be top of the class anyway?':wink:. When I started viewing it as a challenge, and used it as motivation, I did my best work, but I still couldn't reach their level. I just began to accept that I couldn't match them in academic ability, and realised that as long as I was proud of my work, as long as I was achieving what I was personally capable of, then I was perfectly happy.

It's easier said than done, but try and avoid comparison with your peers as much as possible. It's incredibly self-destructive. Push yourself to achieve what you're capable of, use your own past grades as motivation.

Thank you for this! :console:

A Levels are going to be the hardest - tougher than uni.

the important thing here is to believe in yourself and keep working because the beginning is tough but all that pain will make the positive outcome much better.

you have had to be at the bottom to secure a place at the top. don't give up, i believe in you xox
Original post by Ryanthom100

Work harder, i'm not the smartest, but when i put in the effort, i get better grades etc

I like Conor a lot.
Original post by Wilfred Little
I like Conor a lot.

same 😁
Reply 19
@Kevin Hodge AWWWL KINDS of insecure action....

Quick Reply

Latest