The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do Muslim communities need to integrate more?

Scroll to see replies

and its composition of four countriesEngland, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland—each of which has distinct customs, cultures and symbolism

Did you even read your own link?
Original post by Laissez‒faire
and its composition of four countriesEngland, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland—each of which has distinct customs, cultures and symbolism

Did you even read your own link?

Those cultures are all British culture.
Original post by serions871
Those cultures are all British culture.

I said there's no common British culture.
not really.... tbh where i live which is full of Asians they are all super confident and loud and sociable people! they wear normal western clothing with a few exceptions to make them more 'modest' depending on the person (aswell as a few that wear religious items but many still wear normal jeans and such). they all talk fluent English and even typical British slang. they are all smart and open minded too ! :smile: plus its easier for Europeans to integrate as their culture and religion is already very similar to the typical British and Christian culture and faith.. whereas people in Asia have very different culture and values and norms so it does SOMETIMES take a little longer. tbh i think people just stereotype thinking most Asians don't integrate when in fact a majority of them do .. :smile:
Original post by serions871
What I'm saying is not based on race but culture. Britain's natives are British people in the sense that they are people who are united by a common British culture

And what exactly is "British culture" as you put it?
I agree. There's too many complaints regarding muslims and their way of living. I.e: bacon in public places, etc. Not only that, but even thought there are muslims who value the country's rules, there are still muslims who value their religion's rules over the countrys.

Hate incoming in 3,2,1
Original post by Laissez‒faire
There is no common British culture.

There no common Pakistani culture ever first of all Pakistani are not all Muslims they can be any religion Christians, Jews and even atheist. Pakistan has many different ethnic groups, languages and social classes.
Original post by looloo2134
There no common Pakistani culture ever first of all Pakistani are not all Muslims they can be any religion Christians, Jews and even atheist. Pakistan has many different ethnic groups, languages and social classes.

Why are you telling me?
Original post by MartinF98
Just from observation, it seems to me that the Muslim communities from Asian countries like Pakistan and Bangladesh integrate less into British society than other immigrant groups like Chinese and Europeans. But then you also see Muslims in more affluent parts of the UK integrating very well. So do you think the problem lies more with working class immigrants in general or mainly with Muslims?

Define 'integrating'. Does that mean going out to the club every night and getting wasted? I, along with many South Asians I know, get along well with people of all backgrounds. We all have friends from all backgrounds and get along well with each other. Now, if you expect us to go out clubbing and drinking every night then there's the issue of religious restrictions which prevent that; but other than that we do integrate into the British society.
Learn to differentiate between the two types of Integration, my friend...you're going off on quite a tangent.
Original post by Kevin Hodge
Define 'integrating'. Does that mean going out to the club every night and getting wasted? I, along with many South Asians I know, get along well with people of all backgrounds. We all have friends from all backgrounds and get along well with each other. Now, if you expect us to go out clubbing and drinking every night then there's the issue of religious restrictions which prevent that; but other than that we do integrate into the British society.

it means not causing a problem with how the society works and not expecting special treatments. I.e: muslims making a issue of breastfeeding in public and bacon.
Original post by Imzy010
not really.... tbh where i live which is full of Asians they are all super confident and loud and sociable people! they wear normal western clothing with a few exceptions to make them more 'modest' depending on the person (aswell as a few that wear religious items but many still wear normal jeans and such). they all talk fluent English and even typical British slang. they are all smart and open minded too ! :smile: plus its easier for Europeans to integrate as their culture and religion is already very similar to the typical British and Christian culture and faith.. whereas people in Asia have very different culture and values and norms so it does SOMETIMES take a little longer. tbh i think people just stereotype thinking most Asians don't integrate when in fact a majority of them do .. :smile:

These are a lot of Pakistani Christians living in Britain in Hounslow the local girls Catholic School has more students of Pakistani Christians descend than white British students.
Original post by brownguytorule
it means not causing a problem with how the society works and not expecting special treatments. I.e: muslims making a issue of breastfeeding in public and bacon.

I think the current generation and future generations will have fewer issues and integrate more into the British society since we’re all born and raised in the UK so it’s the only society we’ve been part of. The problem tends to be the older generation since they have spent the majority of their childhood back home and have moved to the UK, therefore there’s been a clash of cultures. It’s the same as a Brit moving to Pakistan or Bangladesh. It takes some getting used to since the two cultures are totally different. However, as I said, this shouldn’t be a problem with a lot of the current generation and future generation since we’ll be brought up in the British culture.
These are a lot of Pakistani Christians living in Britain in Hounslow the local girls Catholic School has more students of Pakistani Christians descend than white British students.

ummm no... i don't fully understand your point.? many of them are MUSLIMS from Pakistan, Afghanistan, Morroco, middle east, Asia in general etc, literally lots of Asian Muslims and others likee sikhs, hindus .. etc . . . i dont live in hounslow.
Yes. :colonhash:
Original post by Imzy010
ummm no... i don't fully understand your point.? many of them are MUSLIMS from Pakistan, Afghanistan, Morroco, middle east, Asia in general etc, literally lots of Asian Muslims and others likee sikhs, hindus .. etc . . . i dont live in hounslow.

What I saying is that a lot Asian that come Britain are Christians in areas like Hounslow you find Pakistani, India and Afghan churches. There even a synagogue in London that own and run by Jews of Asian descent. Most British people seem to believe South Asian follow Islam, Hindus etc but Christianity and Judaism have been in South Asia for thousands of years longer than in Britain.
What I saying is that a lot Asian that come Britain are Christians in areas like Hounslow you find Pakistani, India and Afghan churches. There even a synagogue in London that own and run by Jews of Asian descent. Most British people seem to believe South Asian follow Islam, Hindus etc but Christianity and Judaism have been in South Asia for thousands of years longer than in Britain.

yes but thats a small minority. maybe quite a few indians that are christian but still a minority out of them all..
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by brownguytorule
I agree. There's too many complaints regarding muslims and their way of living. I.e: bacon in public places, etc. Not only that, but even thought there are muslims who value the country's rules, there are still muslims who value their religion's rules over the countrys.

Hate incoming in 3,2,1

One of the rules in the religion regarding emigrating to another country is that they have to follow the law of the land they have moved to. Any seriously religious Muslim person I personally know follows this.
When I did , I did struggle with integration and differentiation. To integrate is hard
Original post by hannxm
Many do, but the older generation seem to live in their own bubble, refuse to acknowledge other people and don't integrate at all, so I agree.
We have a Chinese family who's moved in and they're so friendly and wave to us every day. We have an Indian family on the street, who were also very chatty when we met them, but there's a Muslim family that don't speak to any neighbours.
I care for someone in a Muslim family and the mother doesn't even know English (she's lived in the country for decades) and doesn't go out or even try to learn the language and get to know other people - she doesn't even smile at you.
They just gather in an area, take over it and alienate themselves from people and I think that's what can cause ignorance and hate. Literally every time I see a strong faith Muslim on television, actually getting involved and speaking to people outside of their religion or ethnicity, it's quite unusual, but always nice to see. But the 'religion of peace' makes out that other religions and atheists are bad people so it's not surprising.

I like how you try to be open-minded, yet judge all muslims based on this one family. THERE ARE TWO BILLION MUSLIMS IN THE WORLD! don't taint us with the same brush! " take over it"??? Really? You understand how you sound right. They are humans and not pests. They do not take over, they just settle in one area. BIG difference!!!

Latest