The Student Room Group

Learning To Be More Confident In My Ability : Year 10 GYG

Scroll to see replies

been procrastinating a bit! :frown:
ive been unable to do any of my homework so i’m going to leave this until the weekend when i have some more time (basically i haven’t got some of the materials i need)

i’m trying to start some revision checklists but not getting very far... so i’m going to just fast forward to some RE revision and make some flash cards, then read over all my maths topics so far and check i understand everything *fingers crossed*

after this i’m going to try and find a powerpoint my school sent me with some revision techniques and then have a look at them because i’m interested to find some new ways to learn!

hopefully my evening will go a bit more to plan; anya :smile:
Original post by clouddbubbles
thank you!
what subjects have you taken? how are you finding them? :smile:

I'm enjoying them for the most part, geography is horrendously dull though!

As for my subjects, I have a GYG, so you can check that out - my subjects are in my first post :biggrin:
Original post by laurawatt
I'm enjoying them for the most part, geography is horrendously dull though!

As for my subjects, I have a GYG, so you can check that out - my subjects are in my first post :biggrin:

ok i’ll be sure to check it out!

i defo agree that geography is dull... why did i take it ahhh!!! *doh*
Reply 83
ok i’ll be sure to check it out!

i defo agree that geography is dull... why did i take it ahhh!!! *doh*

What?!? I love geography but this could be cause we have a really good teacher. Only problem is there as so many tests.
Original post by Effy..
What?!? I love geography but this could be cause we have a really good teacher. Only problem is there as so many tests.

if i had a good teacher i’m sure i would enjoy it a lot more! :smile:
today was okayyyy...
i had a massive migraine all day though, so it wasn't entirely productive and i just wanted to be asleep in bed but we all have bad days!
somehow i had enough energy to go to the school gym at lunch, where i did some exercise on all the apparatus and it made me feel a bit less stressed as my anxiety has been playing up but all is good!

soooo...

E N G L I S H
watched more frankenstein. it's actually an amazing production and im enjoying it! we have a bit more to watch and then we can start work on the text...

S P A N I S H
computer lesson, so basically spent an hour on memrise revising verbs (productive?) we did some translation activities at the end too :u:

H I S T O R Y
finally got my essay mark back!!!! we also watched a video about the spanish armada and categorised what led to it etc., finding more out about francis drake

Spoiler

as i said lunch was spent mostly in the gym

P E (practical)
had my basketball assessment, didn’t do great but i was feeling and my joints are messed up - i did as well as i could and i’m sure i didn’t completely fail it, i’m not choosing it as my sport anyways

P H Y S I C S
did a required practical and it made sense (it was about forces) so i’m cool about it, but by this point i felt honestly at the point of death with my migraines so i wasn’t really focused... i’ll need to revise this required practical ahah!

going out tonight but it looks like tomorrow will be mostly revision :/

toodles; anya :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
hey anya, hope your migraine gets better soon! congrats on your history essay x
Original post by mez_merising
hey anya, hope your migraine gets better soon! congrats on your history essay x

thank you and thank you! i’m feeling a little better now i’ve had some medication but i think what i rally need is a weekend :wink:

i hope you had a good day!
thank you and thank you! i’m feeling a little better now i’ve had some medication but i think what i rally need is a weekend :wink:

i hope you had a good day!

nothing feels better than a friday :tongue:
Reply 89
Nice thread so far! I'm looking forward to seeing how your year 10 will all come together.
My best advice for year 10 is to get your resources together (notetaking and finding what you'll ultimately use to revise), but be sure not to stress yourself out! :smile: Just keep on top of things and you'll do really well, trust me.
On a more unrelated note, your notes are so pretty and your writing is so nice! My notes aren't as easy on the eyes, to say the least :biggrin: Are you more of a visual learner, by any chance?
Original post by Mikos
Nice thread so far! I'm looking forward to seeing how your year 10 will all come together.
My best advice for year 10 is to get your resources together (notetaking and finding what you'll ultimately use to revise), but be sure not to stress yourself out! :smile: Just keep on top of things and you'll do really well, trust me.
On a more unrelated note, your notes are so pretty and your writing is so nice! My notes aren't as easy on the eyes, to say the least :biggrin: Are you more of a visual learner, by any chance?

thank you! i’m really exciting to see how this school year develops too :smile:

definitely agree with that advice, i’m not going to start hardcore revision this early but it’s important for me to get prepared while i still have time!

thank you :smile: i don’t agree! but everyone says that they are very nice so i suppose i must be a bit more open to compliments 😜

i actually reckon i’m more of an audio learner?! i seem to retain spoken word and podcasts a little easier but having easily condensed notes also helps - i think i can learn in most ways but i always have to be able to apply the knowledge in exam questions and stuff otherwise it doesn’t stick!!

bit ironic considering i focus mostly on visual learning but yeah :wink:
Reply 91
thank you! i’m really exciting to see how this school year develops too :smile:

definitely agree with that advice, i’m not going to start hardcore revision this early but it’s important for me to get prepared while i still have time!

thank you :smile: i don’t agree! but everyone says that they are very nice so i suppose i must be a bit more open to compliments 😜

i actually reckon i’m more of an audio learner?! i seem to retain spoken word and podcasts a little easier but having easily condensed notes also helps - i think i can learn in most ways but i always have to be able to apply the knowledge in exam questions and stuff otherwise it doesn’t stick!!

bit ironic considering i focus mostly on visual learning but yeah :wink:

It's definitely above average aha. I remember one year at parents evening, EVERY SINGLE ONE of my teachers made a comment about my abysmal handwriting ahaha. Luckily, it's at least legible now :P At least you won't have to worry about examiners reading your handwriting, I guess :biggrin:

If you're more of a listener, I would suggest taking a look at some revision YouTube channels, as they kind of talk you through things. I use Freesciencelessons (really excellent stuff, really concise too), MrBruff for English, who really takes you through every aspect of GCSE English so that you'll never go wrong. He also has a lot of really in-depth analysis for the novels and poems. I would also recommend MathsGenie, who has basically been saving my life this year in maths. His explanations are fool-proof, and no matter your confidence in maths, he'll help you understand.

There are probably others out there, but those are the ones I'd recommend based on my own experience :smile:
Original post by Mikos
It's definitely above average aha. I remember one year at parents evening, EVERY SINGLE ONE of my teachers made a comment about my abysmal handwriting ahaha. Luckily, it's at least legible now :P At least you won't have to worry about examiners reading your handwriting, I guess :biggrin:

If you're more of a listener, I would suggest taking a look at some revision YouTube channels, as they kind of talk you through things. I use Freesciencelessons (really excellent stuff, really concise too), MrBruff for English, who really takes you through every aspect of GCSE English so that you'll never go wrong. He also has a lot of really in-depth analysis for the novels and poems. I would also recommend MathsGenie, who has basically been saving my life this year in maths. His explanations are fool-proof, and no matter your confidence in maths, he'll help you understand.

There are probably others out there, but those are the ones I'd recommend based on my own experience :smile:

haha! yes in my english class, my teacher got some of the class to do handwriting homework because it was so illegible :0

ooh yes i love mr bruff! i’ll be sure to check out freesciencelessons and maths genies :smile: i already watch primrose kitten but she’s a bit annoyyyyingggg (ugh her voice) and mrmacmillan for RE!

but yes, thank you for those recommendations, i’ll check them out!

hope you’re having a good day :biggrin:
Reply 93
haha! yes in my english class, my teacher got some of the class to do handwriting homework because it was so illegible :0

ooh yes i love mr bruff! i’ll be sure to check out freesciencelessons and maths genies :smile: i already watch primrose kitten but she’s a bit annoyyyyingggg (ugh her voice) and mrmacmillan for RE!

but yes, thank you for those recommendations, i’ll check them out!

hope you’re having a good day :biggrin:

Thank you :smile: Let me know how you find them :biggrin:
Original post by Mikos
Thank you :smile: Let me know how you find them :biggrin:

will do!
well hello there!

it’s hard to determine whether today was a productive day or not...
similarly to yesterday, my sinuses are completely blocked and i have a horrendous achey headache/face ache! also my decision to visit the gym has left me in a lot of pain because my knees aren’t used to it and i didn’t stretch properly! (oh well - can’t do anything about my knees but i know how to avoid the other aches in the future 😜)

i woke up around 8 (kinda early?) but watched a lot of catch-up tv until 11:30 at least, tried to start sorting my room, had some lunch and then continued to sort!

my day definitely hasn’t been wasted as i’ve cleared a lot of stuff out and my room is a lot less cluttered & looks nicer BUT i do have quite a lot of homework to do! and i’m planning on watching some fireworks nearby later :/

i’ve just done my chemistry homework...
it was nearly i M P O S S i B L E because my teachers way of teaching is so different and i just don’t understand the concepts so i guessed a lot of the answers - i’ll just have tor revise it all in a few days!

i’ve also just done the DREADED mymaths homework i had... it was on cancelling algebraic fractions and i founded it really hard at first but by the end i understood it! got 97% and one wrong but not really sure how (all i know is i’m not doing it again!!!!!!)

in terms of urgency, the only other task due on monday is some biology research, so i’m going to do the main research now and organise it so i can finish tomorrow night after i return from the ski competition i’m taking part in!

i’ve also got a few tests coming up but i’m just going to have to revise them on tuesday night :frown: (i can’t do monday as i coach at my swim club!) or take some stuff to revise tomorrow?¿

i’m sure everything will fall into place!
i’m just a bit ill and stressed...
i’d better get back to my biology homework so i can get ready to go out later when the time comes :P

see ya later!; anya :smile:
Hope you feel better soon, and a huge well done on your test results :biggrin:
Hope you get better girl! Also well done on your history essay! :biggrin:
Original post by Nikey
Hope you feel better soon, and a huge well done on your test results :biggrin:

thank you so much!
hopefully i will feel better soon ahah!
Original post by A.N123
Hope you get better girl! Also well done on your history essay! :biggrin:

pretty pleased with the essay :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest