The Student Room Group

Is wearing a white poppy disrespectful?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by paulbarlow
the dead dont care if you wear a poppy or not. the poppy is to raise funds for our disabled and older ex servicemen. if buying a white or other poppy diverts funds away then that matters, the poppy does not glorify war it honours the sacrifice those young men and women made so that you have the freedom to choose, if you respect there sacrifice then no one can say that your not honouring our war dead. an to be sure your family will have someone that died in one of the 2 world wars.

The funds for the white poppies go to charities like War Child. Are you against that? I think it's better than not donating at all. And surely the freedom to choose means choosing which poppy to wear or not to wear one at all?
I wonder how much donated money is siphoned from the white poppy appeal to pay for the CEO and senior executive salaries?

Here's a hint:

2014/15 White Poppy Appeal Audited Accounts

Total income from: sales/donations/prize draws/grants etc. £150K

Expenditure: Salaries/legal fees/accounts/offices/conferences/publications/travel/subsistence/advertising/lobbying etc. £141K

Surplus: £9K

All surplus goes into the White Poppy bank account and none is distributed to victims of war.

As of 2015 (last available audited accounts) the White Poppy Appeal bank balance stood at £73K

The White Poppy Appeal is a self serving job creation scheme.
Not at all. Reasonable statement if they refuse to condone bloodshed.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Wearing a white poppy is basically equivalent to stating publicly, 'no, I don't wish to honour or remember British troops!'.

How?
Reply 44
the white one means no more war so I don't see why it would be disrespectful
Original post by Nerry
the white one means no more war so I don't see why it would be disrespectful

THen there are another 364 days a year to wear one
As I already said, we all want peace but it’s not much to ask to leave one day a year on which we can publicly remember the sacrifices of men and women to give you the opportunity to live in peace.
It’s not a political statement. Not for me anyway. It honours both my grandfathers. One who is buried in Italy. The other France. It honours my grandmothers who did their bit too. It honours all the victims of the wars. On all sides. Who were forced to fight against regimes that threatened millions.
If you don’t agree with the work the British legion does then there is no need to buy a poppy.
Original post by A Lilt
Yes, represent all victims of war. Victims. The brainwashed, the broken, the dead. Soldiers never fight in war believing they are the bad guys. The Wehrmacht turned on the SS. ISIS fighters are brainwashed and don't have the luxury of rationality and education many of us have. Remembrance is not for the politicians, it is not for the armed forces, it is for the people that lost their lives to war, no matter the circumstances.

But thats not the argument I was trying to make. ISIS are not victims they are terrorists and they know this- I do not support funding and helping the enemy. Our men died fighting against riff raff time and time again the white poppy is the pacifist poppy- showing zero respect for the millions of our men who died in war In fact if i seen some white poppy sellers in Birmingham they had there stall trashed and heads kicked in- no one likes the enemy.
Original post by FL Watch
But thats not the argument I was trying to make. ISIS are not victims they are terrorists and they know this- I do not support funding and helping the enemy. Our men died fighting against riff raff time and time again the white poppy is the pacifist poppy- showing zero respect for the millions of our men who died in war In fact if i seen some white poppy sellers in Birmingham they had there stall trashed and heads kicked in- no one likes the enemy.

Where did the white poppy sellers say anything about funding or supporting ISIS? Their main focus would be on the civilians affected by war. And trashing someone's property is antisocial behaviour.
Original post by Sammylou40
How fo you know that red poppy wearers don’t have the same respect all year? I’m sure a large percentage do.
The funds raised every year by the poppy appeal do a great deal of good. Do you suggest that because we don’t wear one all year we don’t bother then?
As I said, I'm a member of the Royal British Legion, and have been for long years. Do you think I haven't realized this?

I'm saying (again, having said it already) that the poppy is an outward sign only. It's a silly crap of paper you pin to your lapel, which, considering it is the expected norm these days, carries little meaning now.
Original post by Eunomia
Where did the white poppy sellers say anything about funding or supporting ISIS? Their main focus would be on the civilians affected by war. And trashing someone's property is antisocial behaviour.

All victims of war the bloke kept saying on tv to Ben Sheppard, when pressed on ISIS he didn't reject the claim. I urge no one to fund a pacifist project
I don't wear a white poppy but in this country we have the choice to do so, to wear a red one or not wear one at all. Which is one of the reasons for remembrance- we are free to do so because of the wars people have fought and died in (and civilians have died in).
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
A discussion I've been having on other sites with Armistice Day looming - is wearing a white poppy rather than a red one disrespectful to the war dead and veterans?

For a background on white poppies: http://www.ppu.org.uk/whitepoppy/index.html

A white poppy is not offensive but i would regard somebody wearing as being idealistic and naive. Pacifism is not realistic.
Original post by Tootles
As I said, I'm a member of the Royal British Legion, and have been for long years. Do you think I haven't realized this?

I'm saying (again, having said it already) that the poppy is an outward sign only. It's a silly crap of paper you pin to your lapel, which, considering it is the expected norm these days, carries little meaning now.

I’m pretty sure they’ll be disappointed by your thoughts. I’ll let you know their response
I usually put a donation in the box, don't wear one though because of how politicised it's become.

If you get offended by a pacifist symbol they you're a moron.
All victims of war the bloke kept saying on tv to Ben Sheppard, when pressed on ISIS he didn't reject the claim. I urge no one to fund a pacifist project

Well, it's not a simple yes/no answer. Not everyone living in ISIS territory and fighting in their "army" has a choice. Some where just unfortunate enough to be living on the land that ISIS seized to form its caliphate, some are even slaves. You are of course forgetting that the reason why their country/land was left vulnerable to ISIS in the first place is that they had recently been invaded by outside powers and their own army had been dismantled. If pacifism had been applied in Iraq's case, ISIS could never have gained ground over there. So you see: sometimes pacifism is the answer
Original post by Eunomia
Well, it's not a simple yes/no answer. Not everyone living in ISIS territory and fighting in their "army" has a choice. Some where just unfortunate enough to be living on the land that ISIS seized to form its caliphate, some are even slaves. You are of course forgetting that the reason why their country/land was left vulnerable to ISIS in the first place is that they had recently been invaded by outside powers and their own army had been dismantled. If pacifism had been applied in Iraq's case, ISIS could never have gained ground over there. So you see: sometimes pacifism is the answer

Is the wrong answer Sadam was a ******* he would of helped Isis grow- Sadam was an alqueda supporter
Is the wrong answer Sadam was a ******* he would of helped Isis grow- Sadam was an alqueda supporter

Ha ha, no.

Number of Al-Qaida members in Iraq pre-2003 invasion: 0.

Saddam was a crackpot, but a secular one nonetheless. His security forces kept the Islamists in check. Bin-Laden offered to send Al-Qaida fighters to help the Saudis fight the Iraqi Army during the Gulf War.
Wear whatever colour poppy you want to, I couldn't care less. I'm ex-forces and I remember the fallen in my own personal way. Sometimes I wear a poppy, sometimes I don't, I won't be dictated to how I should do this by people who are using the symbol of the poppy as a political tool.

However, the way people have been arguing about this white poppy is just another example of whataboutism that seems to be rife at the moment. The way it's being promoted, as an alternative to the red poppy undermines the RBL's campaign. I've no problem with people wanting to recognise all looses from war, but you've got the entire year to choose a date and make your own campaign for, don't ride off the backs of the RBL's hard work.
Original post by moonkatt
Wear whatever colour poppy you want to, I couldn't care less. I'm ex-forces and I remember the fallen in my own personal way. Sometimes I wear a poppy, sometimes I don't, I won't be dictated to how I should do this by people who are using the symbol of the poppy as a political tool.

However, the way people have been arguing about this white poppy is just another example of whataboutism that seems to be rife at the moment. The way it's being promoted, as an alternative to the red poppy undermines the RBL's campaign. I've no problem with people wanting to recognise all looses from war, but you've got the entire year to choose a date and make your own campaign for, don't ride off the backs of the RBL's hard work.

Well said. For 99.9% of people I know it is not political.
If they picked a different date they would probably be a lot more successful in their fundraising too
Original post by uberteknik
I wonder how much donated money is siphoned from the white poppy appeal to pay for the CEO and senior executive salaries?

Here's a hint:

2014/15 White Poppy Appeal Audited Accounts

Total income from: sales/donations/prize draws/grants etc. £150K

Expenditure: Salaries/legal fees/accounts/offices/conferences/publications/travel/subsistence/advertising/lobbying etc. £141K

Surplus: £9K

All surplus goes into the White Poppy bank account and none is distributed to victims of war.

As of 2015 (last available audited accounts) the White Poppy Appeal bank balance stood at £73K

The White Poppy Appeal is a self serving job creation scheme.

Source?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending