The Student Room Group

Having a dog at unii??

Okay so I'm aware that dogs wont be allowed in halls but what's the possibility of me finding an accommodation (even private) that allows me to have a dog.

Without the dog, I will cease to exist.

Scroll to see replies

Go for a house share with some people who have dogs of their own :wink:
Original post by bluemadhatter
Okay so I'm aware that dogs wont be allowed in halls but what's the possibility of me finding an accommodation (even private) that allows me to have a dog.

turtle lives matter too :turtle:
You're being dramatic. Sure, it'll be great to have your pet with you at uni. But if you can't find accommodation that accepts dogs, are you really going to give up getting a degree?
I think you need to consider if you'll actually be able to look after it on a student budget as well..
Reply 5
Hello guys
CATS MATTER AS WELL

:bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl:
Original post by DrawTheLine
You're being dramatic. Sure, it'll be great to have your pet with you at uni. But if you can't find accommodation that accepts dogs, are you really going to give up getting a degree?

I guess I'd still go to uni without the dog but it would make me very sad

Original post by Jackieox
I think you need to consider if you'll actually be able to look after it on a student budget as well..

I will working as well

Original post by CoolCavy
turtle lives matter too :turtle:

THEY'RE Scared OF ME ;(
Reply 8

You would need to check the policies for each potential place for pets being allowed or ask if they would be willing to let you have one (probably on the condition you pay extra deposit or something).
You would also need to have a think about if you could afford to care for the dog and for it's medical insurance. And if you could give it enough space and attention.

A smaller animal like a hamster, turtle, chinchilla, guinea pig etc might be a better idea as you'll be more likely to have it allowed and it will be cheaper. They also need less human interaction and are easier to deal with after uni because they can be moved more easily and don't require as much space.
Some houses you can rent allow you to keep pets, find one of those.
I guess I'd still go to uni without the dog but it would make me very sad

I will working as well

Honestly if you are working and studying I doubt you will have enough time to dedicate to a dog and it would be unfair to get one for yourself when you know you won't be able to give it the best life possible.
I know it can be very important to have pets and you might feel a bit empty without one, but you need to think of the animal too.
Original post by Kindred
Honestly if you are working and studying I doubt you will have enough time to dedicate to a dog and it would be unfair to get one for yourself when you know you won't be able to give it the best life possible.
I know it can be very important to have pets and you might feel a bit empty without one, but you need to think of the animal too.

whats the point in life without a dog

ask that to those who got bitten when they were little (including myself)

Getting qualifications and money so you can has dog.
That's pretty much the meaning of life isn't it?

Seriously though, you'll feel a little empty now and then if you're used to having a dog, but you'll be fine.

THEY'RE Scared OF ME ;(

what are you going to do with them when you go to uni :o::turtle:
Original post by CoolCavy
what are you going to do with them when you go to uni :o::turtle:

sell them, my cousin wants them so ill still be able to visit them when i get back
sell them, my cousin wants them so ill still be able to visit them when i get back

that is fair enough :turtle: sell them quick before they escape under your door :tongue: :hugs:
I did know a chap who took a dog to uni in his second and third years... he needed to find a willing landlord and housemates, he met the latter in his first year in (dogless) halls.

so technically it's possible. but it's going to need walking and keeping company etc. so in your shoes I'd try manage without.
Reply 18
The issue isnt finding a house that will allow it, plenty do and even ones which dont its dubious you'd be penalized for it, its more finding people who'd wish to live with a dog as students.
You're being very selfish. You may have to move house at the end of your first and second years which will be confusing for the dog. You'll be in uni all day, meaning that the dog is left all alone and the dog will have to get used to being without the rest of your family and home that he's become used to. Poor thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending