The Student Room Group

Water Cycle and Rivers QUIZ

Scroll to see replies

Because there is good soil there??? :dontknow:

Ugh idc if shes looking for a particular word :colonhash: Ill guess slip-off slope bc thats a great word :thumbsup:
Why not?
Original post by 04MR17
Question 10:
Why is a floodplain such a fertile area?

HINT: There's a particular key word cheese is looking for.:flute:

Spoiler

water pushes sediment and organic matter to the floodplain.
edit: offshore drift? no
SINKS
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
Question 10:

Spoiler

Because that's what the Ancient Egyptians did and they are the ultim8 peeps because the gods of the Nile sorted out their inundation every year.
minerals from the water?
Silt deposits on the soil when the river floods its banks and silt makes the soil very fertile
Water is good for plants cos it has tasty things in it. Flood plains give that delicious delicious water.
Also I reckon people don't mess with it too much which probably helps....
Original post by Edminzodo
Because that's what the Ancient Egyptians did and they are the ultim8 peeps because the gods of the Nile sorted out their inundation every year.
Your banter has been on point tonight.:yy:
I'll have to say. this felt more like an exam rather than a pub quiz :frown: I was disappointed by the lack of specific river questions (What is the longest river in Asia or What is the tallest waterfall etc.) that pub quizzes usually revolve around. I still appreciate for putting this together though, MR and Cheese! :smile: :thumbsup:
Because water that runs to this area has lost the energy so sediments are deposited here. These sediments are full of fertile soil and minerals which is why it is a fertile area.
Well when a river floods it causes organic matter in the water to be dispersed across the flood plain. When the water recedes, it leaves this organic matter which provides many nutrients for plants to grow in helping to make the soil rich and fertile
Original post by 04MR17
Your banter has been on point tonight.:yy:

Thanks fam, but when isn't my banter on point???
I think future quizzes should take note from this and have more long answer questions. You could turn this into a full-on exam board.
I have no clue what this word will be :lol:
A river contains "layer" of water. The water containing sediment etc. Will be at the bottom, and the water containing nutrients and minerals will be at the top.
So when the river floods then all the water on top runs out onto the flood plains and is absorbed into the soil (well not all of it is absorbed but you get what I mean)
So the plants which grow in this soil has loads of nutrients so can grow better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
Thanks fam, but when isn't my banter on point???
When you're busy, and miss like 1000 messages because you went to KFC:flute:
Original post by Plagioclase
I think future quizzes should take note from this and have more long answer questions. You could turn this into a full-on exam board.
:afraid:

Go away

APlagA

:tongue:
Original post by 04MR17

Go away

APlagA

Wasn't being sarcastic, Markovchain was more threatening yesterday!
Original post by 04MR17

Go away

APlagA

Edmincel > APlagA
Original post by 04MR17
When you're busy, and miss like 1000 messages because you went to KFC:flute:

r00000d boi, it was only 192
Original post by 04MR17
Question 10:

Spoiler

Floodplain is fertile which means that it then floods. When this occurs it then transfers itself into the floodplain. Altogether the flooding itself withdraws fine silit also known as alluvium on to the floodplain which in essence makes it better for agricultural purposes as well as being fertile.

Quick Reply

Latest